1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

those look great mac.

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

thank you

3. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Congratulations!

4. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Those shoes look brand new!

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Excellent. So funny when I check SF on my phone, your Avatar is someone wearing a suit, yet when I check SF on my computer, it's back to the shoes. Interesting...

6. thecentennial

thecentennial Senior member

I tried to add a heel tap to my crepe soled Aldens. Nails just wouldnt take, which I suspected. The crepe just isnt the right structure to hold a nail.

There are no cobblers where I live, so its a DIY job. Would screws be better, or screw / glue combination?

7. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

I really don't see screws staying in there at all. I'd imagine even with glue, screws would probably just make a mess of the crepe, if the nails aren't taking. Really, I'd wear out the current sole, and replace, at least, the heel with dainite or whatever rubber heel you prefer, if you're getting a ton of heel wear. You could even see if they could make the heel look like that on the leather soled Barrie last shoes, where you've got partial leather, then it'd match the leather tip of your shoes.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have numerous Aldens - mostly shell, some calf - mostly shoes, some boots. I am partial to leather soled Aldens - double or single, standard or oiled. I have never understood the appeal of the crepe sole. Indeed, any model that comes out with a crepe sole is immediately dismissed by me. Certainly others see the issue as I do, but many do not. I get that many claim it is very comfortable, and that it is necessarily casual/informal, but what else, if anything, about it is appealing to those of you who buy it? No sarcasm is intended here.

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

God bless you guys that enjoy saddle shoes. I just can't find the appeal. Seen too many girls on campus sporting crappy UO or Forever21 saddle-shoe inspired pieces of crap, all knarly and looking 50 years old already. Has turned the style off to me. I can see how beautiful it is but just can't get over it.

:slayer:

10. thecentennial

thecentennial Senior member

They are more comfortable than leather soled shoes.

Also like the look.

Most of my shoes are leather soled, crepe's only go with a certain, limited number of styles IMO, but worth having in a collection.

New york ranger mentioned earlier he had taps installed in his crepes...if you see this, let me know how they were attached.

11. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

+1. Case in point, tan suede LWB with plantation crepe sole = yummy.

[​IMG]

12. AML225

AML225 Senior member

Ravello LWBs just as the sun is peeking over the horizon:

[​IMG]

13. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

White and ravello look fantastic together !

14. AML225

AML225 Senior member

Should have given props in my picture. They're actually Epaulet Regiment Twill Walts in cloud which is a very light grey.

15. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Anyone familiar with the chamois leather? How does it compare with Kudu, or more specifically, is it nearly as water resistant as Kudu?

[​IMG]

16. sazon

sazon Senior member

ML : those Ravello gunboats are simply unbeatable. Nice job.

17. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

Wow. This combination is a winner

18. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

I just bought my first pair of Aldens yesterday (901 - Needed a go to business shoe) and the fit is almost perfect. The right shoe is pretty good, but the left one has the slightest bit of heel slip. Does anyone have any suggestions to remedy this? I know there are things you can put under the tongue and things you can put inside the heel, but I'd rather not use the heel ones if I can, as those tends to separate off with friction.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  19. blue collar

I have found that the heel slip goes away after the sole (and upper) have had a chance to break in, form to your foot and the way you walk.

If you want an instant fix i have found that tongue pad does a good job of helping you fill out the shoe.it's better than wearing thick socks, esp' in summer :satisfied:

20. blue collar

Regardless, it looks great. I wear white pants, blue blazer with my ravello :slayer:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.