***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

This is what I've been doing. Useful, and helps in making snap judgements when "deals" appear (when you don't really even want the shoe)

2. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Mainly the fit. The Leydon is similiar to the Barrie from the ball of the foot to the toe box, but is not as roomy in the heel which is why it is a good alternative for people who find the heel to be too wide on the Barrie. The Grant last just fits my foot much better- it's a little sleeker than Leydon, is a little more tapered in the toe than the Barrie, but the fit is spot on.

Rule of thumb is that the Leydon runs true to size. It is not as clear with the Grant last -- some people wear the same size as the Barrie, so come TTS. I go TTS on the Grant.

3. furo

furo Senior member

Well, I just placed an order with NRO for the Alden Cordovan no 8 shell Indy.

Hopefully they turn out to be as good as they look on the websites I've seen. I could have gone with Shoe mart for commando soles and paid $50 more, but for $615 I will take these to my cobbler and he'll throw on a rubber vibram topy for $20

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  4. altmana

altmana Well-Known Member

Can you post more pics of the context roy with the leather sole? I have them and have been considering getting leather soles for them. Also have you had any issues with your roys wrinkling ... mine are pretty wrinkled on the sides.

5. rmspawn

rmspawn Senior member

If anyone wants to buy those Florsheim by Duckie Brown long wings on Gilt, enter promo code: myextra20off
    This should get the shoes shipped to you for $254.95

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

go for cigar!

7. onestar

onestar Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. I wear 9.5D in the Barrie and Tru-balance and find the 10D in the Grant is a great fit. I guess this is likely to mean I am a 10D in the Leydon.

8. ninja07

ninja07 Senior member

I'm stoked to receive my dream boots - a pair of Cigar captoe boots with commando sole on the Grant last from a really nice gentleman from this forum. It 's a 10.5D, same as my Barrie last size. I took a gamble on it and the fit was spot on. I hope I'm not adding to the confusion of the Barrie vs Grant sizing discussion. Best is to try it out - even if it takes a lot of money....:D

Will post pics in better light.

9. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

10. IamCargo

IamCargo Member

my #8 indy, serving for 3 years

[​IMG]

but required a minor fix now

[​IMG]

11. wrinklefree

wrinklefree Well-Known Member

The tread looks fantastic, despite the removable heal, for being 3yrs old. Did you wear them once ever week or so?

I seem to store my leather soled aldens in rainy weather and my boots in the summer so that might extend the life of the sole.

12. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Do commando soles offer good grip in wet conditions, and are they flexible?

13. AAF-8AF

AAF-8AF Well-Known Member

Here's how much Alden pays attention to missing punches. This picture of a 974 is from a printed Alden catalog from 8 or 10 years ago. My own pair of 974's, acquired a few months ago, has a couple sections where there are three missing punches all within an inch or so. It adds character, right?

[​IMG]

14. Kevk

Kevk Well-Known Member

Discount code for Gilt did not work. Really don't need navy blue longwings, but if I can get them for $255.00 I'm in.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  15. abam

abam Senior member

Code only works for specific accounts. It might require having made a previous purchase amount and not purchasing for a long period of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.