• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there supposed to be a slight plasticy sound when breaking in the shell?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have some comments/insight for these Shell Indys?

Looking for some wear pics, from boots maybe 2-3 years old.... and whether they are on the Trubalance last ... and if you topy'd the leather sole

Last edited:

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was in the downtown Manhattan Brooks Brothers the other week and noticed that they didn't have any shell cordovan shoes in stock. I asked a salesperson about it and he said they were on a shell hiatus, but wasn't sure why or for how long. Yesterday I stopped into Alden on Madison and mentioned it to one of the guys. He said that BB was being punished for selling Shell at 25% off. Has anyone else heard about this? Are other Brooks Brothers still selling shell?
I don't know the answer but they have them online and in stock. I just ordered the Brooks Brothers Alden PTB in black shell.

mr chorizo

Reaction score

I was in the downtown Manhattan Brooks Brothers the other week and noticed that they didn't have any shell cordovan shoes in stock.  I asked a salesperson about it and he said they were on  a shell hiatus, but wasn't sure why or for how long.  Yesterday I stopped into Alden on Madison and mentioned it to one of the guys.  He said that BB was being punished for selling Shell at 25% off.  Has anyone else heard about this?  Are other Brooks Brothers still selling shell?

the downtown brooks brothers (on broadway in Flatiron....if that's what you are referring to), is hardly a real BB in my opinion and carries limited, if any, suiting...much less cordovan shoes.

BB.com currently has shell offerings, and i would be very surprised if Madison Ave doesn't have any shell in stock either, though I don't get up there very often. Speaking of BB.com, they have #8 LHS for 598, which makes me even more outraged at J.Crew's calf LHS pricing at 525.

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
an hour past picture monday but here is part (about half) of my collection

Library-2303.jpg

Library-2304.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

CTYGGG

Reaction score

My shoe collection - Mostly Alden:
Top Left to Right - Indy 404, JCrew Indy, Indy 405, Leather Soul Safari Boot (Snuff Suede)
Bottom Left to Right - JCrew #8 Chukka, #8 LWB, Ravello PTB, AE Dalton Boot (Walnut Calf)

Pictures of the Alden Shell Cordovan:

Picture of new AE Dalton boot:

PS: Wife thought I was nuts taking pictures of the shoes...

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

Getting started early

All shoes barrie last unless noted
Top row, left to right
Leffot Indy 403 (Trubalance, commnado sole), Alden DC cigar captoe (Grant, Commando), whiskey chukka from Alden NY
Middle row, left to right
Leffot Color 4 Atom (Tremont, single leather), Ravello PTB, Cigar PTB (Crepe) from Winn Perry, #8 longwing
Bottom row, left to right
Tassels unlined navy chukka (waterlock), J Crew unlined tan PTB (waterlock), Leffot lined tan suede longwing (waterlock), Leffot ravello tassels (Aberdeen, single leather)

I am going to slow down on Alden orders going forward. I am on lists for the ravello hunting boot from Tassels and a cigar longwing from Alden of Carmel (though I may cancel the longwing order). I need a black cordovan shoe (looking at the monk straps from Leather Soul) and maybe something in snuff suede but for the most part I think my collection is almost complete.
Besides these, I also have some of the Ralph Lauren Marlow cordovan and I also have some Church's shoes in calfskin. I also have a beat up pair of Gucci bit loafers from my Italian shoe days that get a resole every year. I am looking to add either some Edward Green or something similar in calfskin this year.

Wow! Great collection with a #4 and I love the cigar captoe & the blue suede chukka really rocks. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads