***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robin

robin Senior member

Funny thing is that Alden of Carmel didn't charge me sales tax when I ordered from them.
    Ssssshhhhh....

2. bokhan

bokhan Senior member

do you all pay retail or do you get them discounted?

i'd love me some aldens but can't swing that kind of money. [​IMG]

i like almost all the boots carmel has.

3. rbny

rbny Senior member

do you all pay retail or do you get them discounted?

i'd love me some aldens but can't swing that kind of money. [​IMG]

i like almost all the boots carmel has.

I've never seen Alden of Carmel and Leather Soul Hawaii offer discounts for their shoes/boots; they can barely keep them in stock at full retail. But I have seen the Shoemart offer sales on some models. If Alden lasts fit your feet, they are definitely worth it.

4. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

This past week, someone asked if my Indy's were Dr. Martens.

5. xchen

xchen Senior member

Well what did you say?

6. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

Well, considering most people don't know what Alden is, I said "Oh no, they're the same boots Indiana Jones wears in all of those movies." Usually, it's followed by a: [​IMG]

7. xchen

xchen Senior member

Haha, unfortunately I have had that same conversation many times. I have taken to telling people that those boots are made for people with foot problems and leaving it at that.

8. Spats

Spats Senior member

At the risk of getting thrown off the forum: I'd like to interject at this juncture that I don't "get" the Alden 405 Indy boot. [​IMG]
    It's blah looking, like an old pair of Redwings (which were fine but a third of the price BEFORE they moved offshore). A workboot, in short. No way they should be worn with dress slacks of any sort, let alone a suit.
    And while I admire the product of Leather Soul and Alden of Carmel, god help them if the Indy ever goes out of style. They will wind up with the "ultimate Indy" and the penultimate Indys.

9. Brutus

Brutus Senior member

Haha, unfortunately I have had that same conversation many times. I have taken to telling people that those boots are made for people with foot problems and leaving it at that.

No one has every asked if my Indy's were Docs, I've only ever received nice comments. It's usually followed by "how much did you pay for those?" I don't tend to answer this seriously. I usually just say something like"...well they weren't my most expensive pair of boots." [​IMG]

At the risk of getting thrown off the forum: I'd like to interject at this juncture that I don't "get" the Alden 405 Indy boot. [​IMG]
    It's blah looking, like an old pair of Redwings (which were fine but a third of the price BEFORE they moved offshore). A workboot, in short. No way they should be worn with dress slacks of any sort, let alone a suit.
    And while I admire the product of Leather Soul and Alden of Carmel, god help them if the Indy ever goes out of style. They will wind up with the "ultimate Indy" and the penultimate Indys.

There's really nothing wrong with your opinion, it just means you have bad taste...that's all.

10. xchen

xchen Senior member

No one has every asked if my Indy's were Docs, I've only ever received nice comments. It's usually followed by "how much did you pay for those?" I don't tend to answer this seriously. I usually just say something like"...well they weren't my most expensive pair of boots." [​IMG]

I haven't had anyone say they looked like DMs but since I am wearing them almost every day now to the office I get compliments on them 1-2 times per week. Often people will ask what kind of shoes they are and that is when I say they are just nice work boots for people with foot problems rather than getting into the whole Indiana Jones thing.

11. Brutus

Brutus Senior member

I haven't had anyone say they looked like DMs but since I am wearing them almost every day now to the office I get compliments on them 1-2 times per week. Often people will ask what kind of shoes they are and that is when I say they are just nice work boots for people with foot problems rather than getting into the whole Indiana Jones thing.
    Do you say "If you have crooked feet then these babies'll straighten'em right up. Pain free and walking straight in two months! And you'll look good while doin' it!" (all with Southern accent)

12. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

part of the the appeal of the indy's (beyond looks) is that they are high quality shoes and should last decades with even moderate care/resoling. The ultimate and vintage indy's made by Leathersoul appeal to many because they already look like they've been worn for years and more closely resemble how the weathered shoes look in the Indiana Jones movies. Though IMO the original are just as great and I'm looking forward to get them personalized by wearing them a ton. I've had strangers in completely different styles look at my Indy's and say "great boots" on a few random occasions in NYC so it's not just members of this forum who appreciate them. Plus I don't know who the heck wears them with a suit, unless it's a heavy tweed suit, in the style of EG or WWM. Anyways you are welcome to your own opinions, there's nothing wrong with that.

p.s. can you tell us what shoes you own or like so we can make fun of them, thanks...

13. xchen

xchen Senior member

Do you say "If you have crooked feet then these babies'll straighten'em right up. Pain free and walking straight in two months! And you'll look good while doin' it!" (all with Southern accent)

This is ironic because the Indy Boots actually used to hurt my feet when I first got them, and also because I do have a southern drawl thicker than molasses.

14. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

agreed. the indy boot really doesnt look that good, though im sure the materials and construction are top notch

15. Spats

Spats Senior member

p.s. can you tell us what shoes you own or like so we can make fun of them, thanks...

Sure. My current favorite is the Alden NST. In addition to the shoes, I have some NST boots on order from Leather Soul. Looking at the snout of the NST reminds me of what some call a "camel toe;" call it my Rorschach test, if you will. I like to look at my feet and remember what prompts me to dress nicely in the first place.[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.