• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am assuming you measured 13B on the brannock considering you`re supposed to take the larger of the two numbers out of the heel-to-ball and heel-to-toe for both feet?

I hope they fit as I followed the width the brannock gave me and even told LH that my only guideline is the brannock device itself. Bet i`d have a hard time selling it too once I get it since its a small size/narrow width (7C) Damn this small feet!

CTYGGG

Reaction score
LS #4 4x4
IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

All this color #4 talk lately so I figured I'd show how they look under various lighting conditions and lastly on my feet.

Can't wait for Alden Collection Picture Day on Monday. Hope everyone has their pics ready to go.

CTYGGG

Reaction score

All of my shells feel the same as my calf.
How do you fellows care for your Aldens? I apply the leather cleaner and neutral wax every ~5 wears. I have other waxes, from Alden, in burgundy, brown, etc. but I haven't used them yet. I'm kind of scared they might darken the shoes/boots.
I also watched a care video from Crockett and Jones and they suggest using neutral creme/wax on the leather sole as well. I have never done that before, but I'm thinking about it now.

Are you referring to shell or calf? If it is shell you're way overdoing it, use the Mac method.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

LS #4 4x4

IMG_1093.jpg

All this color #4 talk lately so I figured I'd show how they look under various lighting conditions and lastly on my feet.
Can't wait for Alden Collection Picture Day on Monday. Hope everyone has their pics ready to go.

good looking #4 ptb

herrmj

Reaction score
I am assuming you measured 13B on the brannock considering you`re supposed to take the larger of the two numbers out of the heel-to-ball and heel-to-toe for both feet?
I hope they fit as I followed the width the brannock gave me and even told LH that my only guideline is the brannock device itself. Bet i`d have a hard time selling it too once I get it since its a small size/narrow width (7C) Damn this small feet!

Yeah I hear you on the C width... real pain. I took a "meet in the middle" approach to the heel to toe and heel to ball measurements.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

Warning::) Have a loved one remove your wallet from your possession and get any credit card numbers you've memorized changed immediately.
Leffot, at least with it's Alden selection, has gone full e-commerce: http://leffot.com/shop/.
Danger! Danger!
:):)
It's a good thing that Alden x Leffot Saddle shoe is not available in my size.

:slayer::slayer::slayer:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You absolutely need to treat with suede protector before wearing, especially if they'll see rain. I use the AE branded Suede & Nubuck Protector in a pump spray bottle. However as was mentioned above, there are many adequate products. I have the tan Alden chukkas and the uppers look virtually new after a couple of years. That reminds me, I should re-apply a coat before the spring season.

Thanks for the tip, I think i'll bring them to my local cobbler and have him examine the suede and reccommend me the best suede protector. I heard it changes the color of the suede sometimes tho :(

Also prolly going to get a brush and an eraser.

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
My shoe collection - Mostly Alden:
Top Left to Right - Indy 404, JCrew Indy, Indy 405, Leather Soul Safari Boot (Snuff Suede)
Bottom Left to Right - JCrew #8 Chukka, #8 LWB, Ravello PTB, AE Dalton Boot (Walnut Calf)

Pictures of the Alden Shell Cordovan:

Picture of new AE Dalton boot:

PS: Wife thought I was nuts taking pictures of the shoes...

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I hear you on the C width... real pain. I took a "meet in the middle" approach to the heel to toe and heel to ball measurements.

Could it be that you messed up on the width? You said you went with the 12.5C after you met in the middle but perhaps you might`ve been a 13B had you gone with the bigger size-Since I am assuming the B width on a 13 is wider than the C width on a 12.5?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are you referring to shell or calf? If it is shell you're way overdoing it, use the Mac method.

Calf. For shells, I only wipe off the dirt with a cloth and brush. No wax or anything else.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Getting started early

All shoes barrie last unless noted

Top row, left to right
Leffot Indy 403 (Trubalance, commnado sole), Alden DC cigar captoe (Grant, Commando), whiskey chukka from Alden NY
Middle row, left to right
Leffot Color 4 Atom (Tremont, single leather), Ravello PTB, Cigar PTB (Crepe) from Winn Perry, #8 longwing
Bottom row, left to right
Tassels unlined navy chukka (waterlock), J Crew unlined tan PTB (waterlock), Leffot lined tan suede longwing (waterlock), Leffot ravello tassels (Aberdeen, single leather)

I am going to slow down on Alden orders going forward. I am on lists for the ravello hunting boot from Tassels and a cigar longwing from Alden of Carmel (though I may cancel the longwing order). I need a black cordovan shoe (looking at the monk straps from Leather Soul) and maybe something in snuff suede but for the most part I think my collection is almost complete.

Besides these, I also have some of the Ralph Lauren Marlow cordovan and I also have some Church's shoes in calfskin. I also have a beat up pair of Gucci bit loafers from my Italian shoe days that get a resole every year. I am looking to add either some Edward Green or something similar in calfskin this year.

Last edited:

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My shoe collection - Mostly Alden:
Top Left to Right - Indy 404, JCrew Indy, Indy 405, Leather Soul Safari Boot (Snuff Suede)
Bottom Left to Right - JCrew #8 Chukka, #8 LWB, Ravello PTB, AE Dalton Boot (Walnut Calf)

PS: Wife thought I was nuts taking pictures of the shoes...

Do you have any photos of just the safari boot (including fit pics?). Sometimes I'm not sure if I should have gone for that instead of the plain toe flex boot in snuff, but I've never seen a pic of them beside on the LS site which make them look amazing.

herrmj

Reaction score
Could it be that you messed up on the width? You said you went with the 12.5C after you met in the middle but perhaps you might`ve been a 13B had you gone with the bigger size-Since I am assuming the B width on a 13 is wider than the C width on a 12.5?

My guess is I can probably fit 13B or 12.5C - several people told me to err on the wide side of the brannock's measurement, so I worked my way down from D width til it felt right. I think with a longer arch than overall foot (stubby toes), it would probably be preferable to have a shorter/wider shoe that fits, as you won't be as prone to drag the toe of the shoe. If you have non-standard sized feet like this, I think it's best to fine tune via shoemart, etc on the standard models, as they are offered in all the sizes, before you move on to special makeups (assuming you don't have ready access to an Alden store).
Hope that helps.

kippy

Reaction score

LS #4 4x4
IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

You have the most wonderful pictures of Alden shoes. I have purchased a few of them after seeing your snapshots. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads