***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Yup, picked them up from LSBH. I was lucky that my size was still in stock since I did not pre-order.

2. sellran

sellran Senior member

JCrew Ravello Boots? Awhile back someone posted that the Liquor Store was going to get some Ravello boots. Any word if they every came? Are still coming?

3. marroyo

marroyo Active Member

Got these last week from Adam at AoC. Great ordering experience and at a discount (from the overstocks list).

Leydon Last Color 8 Wingtip on Commando Sole

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Teger

Teger Senior member

so what exactly is the mac method? i need to clean up my no 8 captoes

5. localman

localman Senior member

6. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Speaking of this, how hard am I supposed to press when brushing cordovan with a horsehair brush? I sometimes feel like if I press too hard for too long I'm going to scratch the shoe.

I wish Mac would do a video demo or something . ;)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  7. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

dude, it's horsehair, not sandpaper.

8. advan031

advan031 Senior member

Mac Method is wipe and brush until your arms are sore...lol

9. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Same here, except for the "only Aberdeen with trousers". I am still rather a novice to men's clothing, but I find the Barrie last to be perfectly suitable for trousers assuming the shoes are cohesive with one's overall style. E.g. if you are the type of person who wears the Madison cut at Brooks as opposed to the Milano, Barrie LWBs will be fine.

I am probably more conservative in my footwear selection than many of the Alden fans here. My Aldens are largely of the basic variety, mostly stock models in fact. I prefer that my shoes get lost in my overall look, which is generally on the conservative side of business casual. I get oddly uncomfortable when people comment on my shoes, or even look at them a little too long. I find that the individual design features of shoes that get the most attention are, in descending order: (1) high color contrasts (e.g. saddles, contrast laces), (2) light colors, (3) brogueing or unusual stitching, and (4) sleekness. Thus I avoid high contrasts entirely, and I try not to combine light colors with heavy brogueing or sleek lasts. Color 8 LWBs don't draw much attention in my experience, nor do ravello LHS or whiskey PTBs (with the appropriate outfit, of course). 911s hit the trifecta of light color plus heavy brogueing plus a sleek shape, making me extremely self-conscious every time I wear them, which is unfortunate as they are easily my favorite Alden design. Many (most?) of the custom makeups I see also incorporate one or more of the design elements I try to avoid, so I don't particularly lust after them. For jeans I lean towards Indy's (brown and black, though the black Indy's have a highly contrasting welt I have grown to dislike for the reasons above) or color 8 boots.

10. WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob Senior member

Off Topic Warning

I know this is Alden thread, but I came across a deal ($150.00) on AE Dalton Boot in Calf for factory seconds at the Freeport ME AE outlet. I ordered a pair in 10.5D, wear a 10D Barrie. No, they don't have any cordovan shell. I figured I'd pass it along, since I saw a picture of the shell on this thread and loved the look of them.

11. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

I know they had this deal around black friday. Is this active?

12. ibitegirls

ibitegirls Well-Known Member

here we go, my first indy's. extremely comfortable to wear throughout the day. i was able to get a good deal on these from TBS, see below.
    one issue with these is the tongue tends to slide slightly (shoe on the left). this can be remedy by not tightening the laces too much. very happy with this purchase and the compliments that I've received.
    [​IMG]

Alden - Indy Boot Burgundy Waxed Leather
    Size: US 9,5
    ald-fw11-0035
    USD 322.00
    Subtotal
    USD 322.00
    Shipping & Handling
    USD 10.00
    Grand Total
    USD 332.00

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  13. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

14. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

I'd say the contrast on the welt on the brown Indys stands out pretty well, too. I get comments on mine all the time, although I'm also not usually around people that wear much more than boat shoes or cowboy boots.

15. jt2gt

jt2gt Senior member

Indy Shoes...only Aldens I've had comments on so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.