• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

localman

Reaction score
Hah, maybe once these are all well worn and getting resoled, I'll pick up some whiskey to keep me company.
Thanks, Mac. Will do.
I got the captoe boots from J Crew. My only wish is that they didn't have speed laces, but no big deal. The brogueing and Barrie last looks so good with jeans. In all honesty, I just boxed them up for an exchange. They came without the Alden box or dust bags, there were some weird wrinkles in the shell, it looked like someone had tried them on (slight creasing already), and some of the speed laces looked a little loose. So, I figured I should have some boots I'm happy with if I am going to spend that much. They're already sending another pair to me.

How was J. Crew with the exchange? I have a pair of the captoe as well and two of the speed hooks are tearing out of the leather. This is pretty annoying though I did buy them from someone that bought them from J. Crew and thus don't have a receipt. The person I bought them from says that he got them maybe a month ago. I emailed Alden and they said to contact J. Crew and they would handle the return. I'm just wondering if I'm going to run into a stonewall at J. Crew for having no receipt.

Anyone have any experiences like this?

Here's a pic of one of the speed hooks:

Last edited:

localman

Reaction score
double post so I guess I'll throw up another pic of the boots.

Last edited:

ibitegirls

Reaction score
localman
Anyone have any experiences like this?

Here's a pic of one of the speed hooks:

Yes, shoes like that were posted in this thread in the earlier pages. What I heard was basically that you need to have these sent to Alden and do not send them to anyone that isn't official Alden repair shop. As far as JCREW giving you trouble, I think they will because how can they be certain you bought these through them? I would see if your friend can provide some kind of record or bank statement showing the purchase, or maybe it will show he purchased them on us account on JCREW.com? I would just call them and see what they recommend. hope this helps and good luck!

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, shoes like that were posted in this thread in the earlier pages. What I heard was basically that you need to have these sent to Alden and do not send them to anyone that isn't official Alden repair shop. As far as JCREW giving you trouble, I think they will because how can they be certain you bought these through them? I would see if your friend can provide some kind of record or bank statement showing the purchase, or maybe it will show he purchased them on us account on JCREW.com? I would just call them and see what they recommend. hope this helps and good luck!</p>

I would think that the insole embossed w/ "Alden for J.Crew" should be enough for JCrew to know it's theirs...

localman

Reaction score
Yeah I'm nor worried about them identifying it as a product that was initially purchased from their store it's more about how are they going to react to me not having a receipt. Anyway I guess I'll give a call to a store tomorrow and see what they say. I have another email outstanding to Alden as well looking for a bit more clarification. I'll see if that gives me anything to go on.

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
J Crew was very accommodating. They didn't have any in the warehouse, but they found some in one of the stores and are having them rushed. They even credited my card before I've sent back the other pair.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

J Crew was very accommodating. They didn't have any in the warehouse, but they found some in one of the stores and are having them rushed. They even credited my card before I've sent back the other pair.

Keep... and send to me defects and all. :D

Last edited:

PeterParker

Reaction score
Put some miles on my natural wingtip boots today (Plaza last, flex welt single leather sole). No complaints about comfort from under my feet as I anticipated from what others have said about the single flex welt configuration; in fact it was very comfortable.

However, the way the leather is creasing on the vamp above the knuckle of my big toe caused a blister. Not sure if the crease is pinching the flesh, but my feet definitely weren't feeling too comfortable by the end of the day. This wouldn't be the first time I've encountered this issue on a pair of boots and it always seems to be on the left foot, not that there are any deformities on my foot . Fortunately my cordovan Jumpers and Indy's give me no problems.

I'm hoping that this problem will simply go away the next time I wear them, but any remedies might be helpful...

Last edited:

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hah, maybe once these are all well worn and getting resoled, I'll pick up some whiskey to keep me company.

that's what we all say and then you realize that you don't want to wait 5-10 years to get a rare shell boot/shoe, and you justify it by saying that if you get the new pair now, you can enjoy them in the meantime with the knowledge that Alden prices will probably be more insane in 5-10 years. good luck resisting

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool!
Now a Whiskey lwb with White Vibram? That I gotta see....

I'm just curious as to how you guys wear your Aldens aesthetically. I mean, I'm in a profession where I don't need to dress a "certain way" and I feel my Alden "clunkers" offer a bit of an eccentric twist to my look. From what I'm gathering, the clunkier lasts go well with Raw Denim in an "Americana" Workwear type look, or the simple American Trad. Any feel like sharing?

I'm in a profession where I could theoretically wear jeans and a polo everyday, but take that flexibility as an opportunity to wear proper, tailored clothing and footwear. As such I don't mind wearing my 403s when the rest of my look suits it -- which is to say, with chinos and denim, but not with trousers. I tend to stick to the Aberdeen last for trousers. Of course, the styling of the shoe matters as much as the last -- an Indy shoe on the Aberdeen last would still look casual despite its sleekness (this shoe is giving me nightmares just thinking about it).

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I love all of the superb special make-ups showcased in this thread, sometimes the beautiful simplicity of the # 8 PTB speaks volumes
Manhattan-20120124-00529.jpg

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm in a profession where I could theoretically wear jeans and a polo everyday, but take that flexibility as an opportunity to wear proper, tailored clothing and footwear. As such I don't mind wearing my 403s when the rest of my look suits it -- which is to say, with chinos and denim, but not with trousers. I tend to stick to the Aberdeen last for trousers. Of course, the styling of the shoe matters as much as the last -- an Indy shoe on the Aberdeen last would still look casual despite its sleekness (this shoe is giving me nightmares just thinking about it).

I primarily wear suits to work (but in healthcare so the dress code does not have a 'uniform') and I wear all my Aldens. My cigar Plaza wingtip boots are probably most versatile with my suits since they are sleeker. I wear my WTB (Barrie) with heavier fabrics and not with my slimmer suits. I do have a pair of #8 plain toe boots in the Modified last with 270 degree flex welt. Although the Modified is not the typical dress last, the combination with the flex and 270 degree stitching makes a nice balance between comfort and aesthetics.

Last edited:

abam

Reaction score
I primarily wear suits to work (but in healthcare so the dress code does not have a 'uniform') and I wear all my Aldens. My cigar Plaza wingtip boots are probably most versatile with my suits since they are sleeker. I wear my WTB (Barrie) with heavier fabrics and not with my slimmer suits. I do have a pair of #8 plain toe boots in the Modified last with 270 degree flex welt. Although the Modified is not the typical dress last, the combination with the flex and 270 degree stitching makes a nice balance between comfort and aesthetics.

Where did you pick up a Cigar Wingtip Boot? Are those the LS makeup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics