***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. localman

localman Senior member

How was J. Crew with the exchange? I have a pair of the captoe as well and two of the speed hooks are tearing out of the leather. This is pretty annoying though I did buy them from someone that bought them from J. Crew and thus don't have a receipt. The person I bought them from says that he got them maybe a month ago. I emailed Alden and they said to contact J. Crew and they would handle the return. I'm just wondering if I'm going to run into a stonewall at J. Crew for having no receipt.

Anyone have any experiences like this?

Here's a pic of one of the speed hooks:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. localman

localman Senior member

double post so I guess I'll throw up another pic of the boots.

[​IMG]

3. ibitegirls

ibitegirls Well-Known Member

localman
    Anyone have any experiences like this?

Here's a pic of one of the speed hooks:

Yes, shoes like that were posted in this thread in the earlier pages. What I heard was basically that you need to have these sent to Alden and do not send them to anyone that isn't official Alden repair shop. As far as JCREW giving you trouble, I think they will because how can they be certain you bought these through them? I would see if your friend can provide some kind of record or bank statement showing the purchase, or maybe it will show he purchased them on us account on JCREW.com? I would just call them and see what they recommend. hope this helps and good luck!

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I would think that the insole embossed w/ "Alden for J.Crew" should be enough for JCrew to know it's theirs...

5. localman

localman Senior member

Yeah I'm nor worried about them identifying it as a product that was initially purchased from their store it's more about how are they going to react to me not having a receipt. Anyway I guess I'll give a call to a store tomorrow and see what they say. I have another email outstanding to Alden as well looking for a bit more clarification. I'll see if that gives me anything to go on.

6. stoneray

stoneray New Member

here is my pic
    Alden x J. Gilbert Footwear Color 8 Shell Cordovan Cap Toe Boot- Plaza Last

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. zissou

zissou Senior member

J Crew was very accommodating. They didn't have any in the warehouse, but they found some in one of the stores and are having them rushed. They even credited my card before I've sent back the other pair.

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Keep... and send to me defects and all. :D

9. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

Put some miles on my natural wingtip boots today (Plaza last, flex welt single leather sole). No complaints about comfort from under my feet as I anticipated from what others have said about the single flex welt configuration; in fact it was very comfortable.

However, the way the leather is creasing on the vamp above the knuckle of my big toe caused a blister. Not sure if the crease is pinching the flesh, but my feet definitely weren't feeling too comfortable by the end of the day. This wouldn't be the first time I've encountered this issue on a pair of boots and it always seems to be on the left foot, not that there are any deformities on my foot . Fortunately my cordovan Jumpers and Indy's give me no problems.

I'm hoping that this problem will simply go away the next time I wear them, but any remedies might be helpful...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  10. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

that's what we all say and then you realize that you don't want to wait 5-10 years to get a rare shell boot/shoe, and you justify it by saying that if you get the new pair now, you can enjoy them in the meantime with the knowledge that Alden prices will probably be more insane in 5-10 years. good luck resisting

11. sazon

sazon Senior member

These are truly outstanding. Wear in good health!

12. applky

applky Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm in a profession where I could theoretically wear jeans and a polo everyday, but take that flexibility as an opportunity to wear proper, tailored clothing and footwear. As such I don't mind wearing my 403s when the rest of my look suits it -- which is to say, with chinos and denim, but not with trousers. I tend to stick to the Aberdeen last for trousers. Of course, the styling of the shoe matters as much as the last -- an Indy shoe on the Aberdeen last would still look casual despite its sleekness (this shoe is giving me nightmares just thinking about it).

13. sazon

sazon Senior member

As much as I love all of the superb special make-ups showcased in this thread, sometimes the beautiful simplicity of the # 8 PTB speaks volumes
    [​IMG]

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I primarily wear suits to work (but in healthcare so the dress code does not have a 'uniform') and I wear all my Aldens. My cigar Plaza wingtip boots are probably most versatile with my suits since they are sleeker. I wear my WTB (Barrie) with heavier fabrics and not with my slimmer suits. I do have a pair of #8 plain toe boots in the Modified last with 270 degree flex welt. Although the Modified is not the typical dress last, the combination with the flex and 270 degree stitching makes a nice balance between comfort and aesthetics.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  15. abam

abam Senior member

Where did you pick up a Cigar Wingtip Boot? Are those the LS makeup?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.