***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Uncle, nice shine on your LHS & great socks.

2. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Great looking boots…GLWTS.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Are those on the Plaza last? Hope to see more pictures soon! For some reason the pictures on JG's website makes their Plaza's toe look a little different from my Plaza shoes (could just be me or the angle of their photo).

4. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Not Aldens, but i will be listing my #8 shell LWB by Hanover LB Sheppard. Made in USA, size 9E/C (I wear 9D on Barrie and these are a touch wider). Figured someone here may be interested.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

5. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

[​IMG]

Ohhhh yeahhhhh! :nodding:
    I was surprised how little breaking in these things are taking. The dye Alden puts over the color 8 and the color nuances it creates in the creases and stitching is really something to behold.

6. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

For some reason the Plaza last seems particularly prone to looking very different from different angles. I want to see some in person because from some angles they look like solid sex and from some angles they look dumb. Granted, this is a problem with all shoes to some degree, but the Plaza seems to be particularly bad about it.

7. applky

applky Senior member

That's true of most lasts with a soft chisel or square toe, as the Plaza has. The Plaza's chisel is especially soft, so from an angle, as opposed to a straight above view, it can look quite different. It's just the nature of that type of last.

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

It's true. Just compare the photos on the J Gilbert site to the photos on the AOC website. Same shoes, different pictures, and a totally different look.

9. applky

applky Senior member

^ Excellent suggestion. Seconded.

Also the Plaza tends to look slightly different on boots than on oxfords.

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Tempting... I have the LS cigar WT boot and I do like the look (although my foot is not conducive to the Plaza). Trying to find reasons not to buy another boot right now. :)

11. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

FWIW, and in case anyone (like me [​IMG]) missed out on them last summer, I just received this message (in part) from Unionmade, regarding the McLaren Two Tone Longwing in Scotch Brown & Tan Calf:

"Yes, we are planning on restocking the McLaren but are unable to provide a solid ETA at the moment. Hopefully we'll have them in the next six months or so".

[​IMG]

12. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

I suppose I knew it was attributable to the chisel toe, but I feel like the Plaza in particular photographs weird compared to, say, a G&G chisel toe. It probably has to do with the exact amount of rounding and the exact width at the end of the toe, which may be what is meant by calling it a "soft" chisel toe.

In general I like the idea of it, though, and I'm tempted by JGilbert's cap toe boot, although I don't have much budget for shoes and if I'm going to throw down on a new pair I probably need to branch out from color 8, heh.

13. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

14. ozzyboo

ozzyboo Well-Known Member

I had the pleasure of buying my Cigar Indys from Yenni in person, and yes she is just as attractive in person as she sounds over the phone (and this being said by someone who plays for the other team). Great customer service and always a pleasure to deal with. She took an amazing amount of time to measure each foot (of course they are different sizes) and recommend sizing options for me, along with whether i should use insoles and a final (great) recommendation to use the Saphir Reno. If you ever visit Seattle, you should definitely check out the shop.

As for the problems with not hearing back from Alden of Carmel, we had a terrible ice storm on Wednesday knocking out power to 300,000 people, many of whom are still waiting for the lights to come on. I believe he lives in the Olympic Peninsula, a remote region, so if he did lost power it could take a while to get connected again. He's also terrific to work with and I've never had any delays or problems with him. You may want to double-check the e-mail address you used, just in case.

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.