***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Moulded Shoe will have them sometime this year - they may have your size in stock. Contact them.

2. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Thanks man...I say that everytime I pull them out...don't wear em nearly enough.

3. ThomSquared

ThomSquared Senior member

WOW those Ravello's are beautiful NYR... It's really starting to become increasingly difficult for me to decide on my next color of Alden's. Can't decide between Cigar, Whiskey, and Ravello, your LWB's just made that decision even harder.

4. JPFNY5

JPFNY5 Senior member

BEAUTIFUL!!! Are those from Leffot?

5. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Those are Leffot from last Spring. I believe they are doing the same make up for this spring, but don't quote me on it. As far as decisions on color, as much as I love Whiskey, and it is by far the most stand out-ish color, it just doesn't work with as many combinations that the browner hues do. I'd go Ravello, Cigar, and then #8.

6. ThomSquared

The "pop" in the whiskey is what makes them somewhat intriguing for me but like you I have always had concerns regarding when the hell I'd wear them... I don't see a lot of good Ravello or Cigar makeups these days though, unless of course I'm blind (probably the case). #8 is my favorite but I just purchased the Leffot LWB's and want to take a break from that color in the spring.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Outstanding shine

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

What do you have now? To me the best combo of flash and versatility is ravello. Cigar and #8 are beautiful but more subtle. Whiskey is great after you get the others. I have only worn my whiskey once, but I feel I can wear it with denim, light khaki (lighter than the shoe), maybe navy chinos and wool in the spring, and light grey..,

9. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Cigar is subtle? :wow:

10. ThomSquared

I'm a newbie... Only have the Unionmade burnished tan perforated toe boot and the Leffot #8 LWB's. I guess I'm a little intimidated by Whiskey as I have never been one to wear really loud shoes and am always a bit scared to introduce that kind of stuff with my fairly subtle wardrobe, but I can definitely give it a shot. Whiskey is gorgeous but seems like the type of color that could seriously one up the rest of your outfit.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Compared to ravello and whiskey yeah... It's a beautiful dark brown, but it is dark brown. Lighter colors stand out in footwear a bit more. That said my cigar boots get the most compliments out of all my cordovan so maybe not

12. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Brothers, can you spare a little sizing advice?

My official Brannock dress shoe size is 11C. Heel's a bit narrow and my foot is generally not on the beefy side, nor do I have high arches. I'm a rare(?) Alden owner who sizes down one full size to 10D. This has worked well for Barrie last shoes (love my color 8 LWBs and PTBs and a couple of others), although my Winn Perry little tanks initially fit tighter but with regular wear have really come around the last few months. I have a Van last shoe in 10D which feels shorter than its Barrie siblings, but when I tried the 10.5D it looked and felt ridiculously huge. It's a snuff suede loafer so the snugger fit has worked well.

Here's my quandry: I'm considering an Indy boot (and/or the Roy boot), Trubalance last, which, as I've seen on Namor's chart and read here, is "roomier" than the Barrie last. Is Trubalance roomier than Barrie in the toebox, the heel area, or both? Is it roomier by being wider and taller (perhaps to accomodate footbeds or thicker feet)? I noticed that several shops stock Indys in C widths. Would you recommend that I go with 10C, 10D or 10.5C in a Trubalance shoe/boot?

Also, can the type of welt - reverse welt v. regular/flat welt - affect the fit of a shoe? All my 10D Barrie last reverse welted shoes fit pretty much the same, while my 10D Barrie last flat-welted Little Tanks feel a bit tighter across the top of the foot (which I like), and slightly narrower and shorter in the toe area (which I don't like). It could be those particular boots (or that particular run of boots), but otherwise, the only difference I can think of is the welt.

Many thanks.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

13. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

To start, I've considered going down 1 whole size as well. Aberdeen 12D, Barrie (boot) 11.5D, and my 11.5 CXL PTB are a bit large - they easily could fit me in 11D, I think. Same with my Tremont 974s, I got a 12D with tongue pads but should've got an 11.5D or smaller.

My feet sound the same, too.

Try a 10.5C first, but otherwise, try the 10D.

14. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

Hi guys, I've been trying to email A of C and they never return my emails. Is there a specific person and email address I should be sending them too?

Much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.