***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

and try Blackbird: http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Alden_Mens.html

2. Abecedarian

Abecedarian Senior member

Beautiful boots! Wear them in good health.

3. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

Last one, I swear: also try Alden of Carmel - http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cfm/Shoes-Black_High_Boot_214.htm

4. MR_Song

MR_Song Member

Nice pair! I think we got the same boots. I really love mine :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

5. scb

scb Senior member

anyone have any pictures of the 9073 in the wild?

6. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I like them A LOT. I swear to god, thisthread makes me spend every dime I don't have....

I wear my LWBs with suits so maybe I'm not the right one to comment, but to me those can be dressed up pretty easily. As for your 9ers, Eli and Co will dress them up pretty nicely this weekend...ROLL BIG BLUE!

7. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Winn Perry Little Tanks
    [​IMG]

8. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

There's nothing like a brand new never been worn pair of Aldens:

[​IMG]

9. ecox

ecox Active Member

Yet another GREAT quality control job by Alden! I ordered a pair of whiskey LWBs. Size 10.5. The box they came in was marked 10.5, but the shoes themselves were 11s!

[​IMG]

Wait, there's more: The area at the base of the thing where the laces are is all scuffed up; the finish actually is worn away.

[​IMG]

But we're not done yet. Not only is the center perf not punched out, but there's this black goo all over the toebox that (a) won't come off; and (b) hides the shine and luster of the shell.

[​IMG]

Luckily, theshoemart's being cool about it and allowing the return and exchange. Any bets as to whether the replacement pair will be of the quality one expects for a $700 pair of shoes? I give it 50/50 odds.

-Erik

10. REguy

REguy Senior member

^ Don't forget the missing perf hole on the outside of the right shoe :teach:

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

There's nothing "cool" about letting you take those shoes back. They'd be looking at a charge back if they didn't.

12. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Wow that is brutal. Usually I roll my eyes at some of the Q/C pics that people post. Like a small stain INSIDE the shoe. But there is no reason why a $700 shoe looking like that should be allowed to leave the factory.

13. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

14. REguy

REguy Senior member

The wrong size thing is inexcusable. However, why can't people wrap their heads around the fact that Alden clearly doesn't care about the other issues? If they did, they wouldn't let shoes with defects leave the factory. It's a hard concept to accept as a consumer who wants to buy their product. People have bitched about their quality control for years and it hasn't made a difference. I think it hurts their reputation, but it's their decision to make. I had a pair of whiskey LWBs with almost the same issues. I pried the plugs out from the punch holes, brushed the crap out of them to get the polish off the toe, and even used a push-pin to create one of the now iconic missed brogue holes. I guess I could've returned them rather than going through the trouble, but the odds are good I would've gotten a replacement pair with the same or different problems. Bottom line, if you want to buy Aldens the way they're currently produced, you need to be willing to accept imperfections. If you're not willing to do that, there are other brands in the same ballpark that do a better job.

What really sucks is when you get a pair of special make-ups with bad defects, especially if you love the shoes. Then you're forced to make a decision about whether to live with it or return them with the possibility of never seeing that model again. The LAST thing I would do is take Alden up on their offer of returning them for repair thanks to some of the butcher jobs I've seen. Unfortunately, I'm currently in that situation. I wore a new pair twice and the inside of the heel is tearing out. Maybe I've had too much of Alden's Kool-Aid, but I'm keeping them and will take them to a reputable cobbler when the hole gets worse.

15. ogcr

ogcr Active Member

I need some help with sizing on the Indy boots. I'm aware that they fit a half size large, but I was wandering if someone could help me out with the heel to toe measurements in the size 11.5 and 11? My shoe size differentiates between an a UK10 and a UK11, depending on the manufacturer, and I'm a D width across the board. This will be my first pair of Alden's and I'd prefer to nail the sizing first time, because, ordering from Scotland, sending these back for an exchange will be expensive and time consuming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.