• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abecedarian

Reaction score
Well, guilty as charged again...I picked up the Unionmade PTB in Cigar as well. I knew my size wouldn't last long and finding pairs with non-leather soles is tough, so I pulled the trigger.
Got the Ravello's on now as I head out to the movies, so took a quick phone pic for you. They need a little Mac method love though.

No surprise, it looks great. Yep, I'll have to pay Steven a phone call this week.

captainfunk

Reaction score

What have been people's experiences with Montana Pitch Blend on 403 CXL? I tried some on an old pair of Allen Edmonds Cascades that I use as beaters, and it darkened the leather considerably. Does it mellow out over a couple days? I hate to think how much darker it would make natural CXL.

I've put at least 3 coats on my natty cxl over the past month. IMO natural cxl is kind of gross looking when it's fresh. The pitch blend has really turned by natural indys into things of beauty, and they are only 6 weeks old. I'll put some pictures up later.

seer

Reaction score
I heard that chromexcel should not be treated with any polish. Only wiped clean with a damp cloth. Is this true?

You could just wipe clean when new, this leather has a good bit of oil in it. But like with all leathers it will dry as time goes on. No, don't use polish use a good waterproofing like Pitch Blend or neatsfoot oil - which the Horween company suggests.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How black can #8 look if treated right?

Picking your first pair of Aldens is tough, it certainly is an investment. I know I want a Toe Cap Boot with no speed laces but cannot decide between #8/Black Commando Sole/Leather Sole. I don't have a black boot at all, so I would like Black but #8 looks so awesome and if it can stay dark enough to wear with a charcoal or black suit that could be my choice. And as far as soles go leather is a classic but commando soles would really dress it down to wear with jeans, but I'm wondering if it will make it to casual to wear with a suit.. or it might look even better with a suit to contrast. Decisions Decisions!

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have this same shoe from Leffot's last run. Love it. It makes me happy every time I look down and see them on my feet.
Does anyone know where I can get a #8 PTB w/commando (or crepe) sole? Would love to add to my PTB collection but leather soles just don't work for me.

I missed out on the Ravello PTB w commando sole from Leffot - close to a perfect shoe. Funny, when I read your question about the #8 PTB with a commando or crepe sole I thought there have got to be lots of places that carry that but the only one I saw in my brief survey that was even close was the J Gilbert version with the waterloc sole. Note to retailers - that sounds like an easy special make-up.

Yeah I remember an AoC one on commando. Couldn't find pics but apparently it was the af22.
I swear I've seen one on crepe too.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/3712/alden-of-carmel

AoC does a Ravello lwb on crepe and a #8 chukka on commando. That's likely neither here nor there though.

Yep, I got the Ravellos on crepe. Comfy but death slippery on wet concrete.
ravlong.jpg

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picking your first pair of Aldens is tough, it certainly is an investment. I know I want a Toe Cap Boot with no speed laces but cannot decide between #8/Black Commando Sole/Leather Sole. I don't have a black boot at all, so I would like Black but #8 looks so awesome and if it can stay dark enough to wear with a charcoal or black suit that could be my choice. And as far as soles go leather is a classic but commando soles would really dress it down to wear with jeans, but I'm wondering if it will make it to casual to wear with a suit.. or it might look even better with a suit to contrast. Decisions Decisions!

They can start out really dark, but they tend to lighten up with use. If you want to keep them dark polish with black wax.

Also, the commando sole is probably fine for wearing with a suit if you're young, just starting out, and not in a formal business environment.

What do you expect to be wearing a black suit for? Fashion, or are you planning to attend many funerals? The former would be fine with #8, the latter would probably justify an actual pair of black shoes.

Last edited:

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep, I got the Ravellos on crepe. Comfy but death slippery on wet concrete.
ravlong.jpg

Those are really nice looking. I agree with you that the practicality of the crepe sole is highly over rated around here. My pair was scary slick in rain, and then the leather toe piece started to look like **** after a few wet day wears. I put them away for a few month and pulled them out again - the crepe turned rock hard.

Now that Alden won't resole to a different sole type, I won't ever consider this sole again.

Last edited:

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the crepe will soften back up with some more wear, it's been reported in this thread

but yes, the leather front of the crepe soles will just look awful. my the leather on my Roys is wrecked, but it doesn't matter. it's the bottom of a shoe.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They can start out really dark, but they tend to lighten up with use. If you want to keep them dark polish with black wax.

Also, the commando sole is probably fine for wearing with a suit if you're young, just starting out, and not in a formal business environment.

What do you expect to be wearing a black suit for? Fashion, or are you planning to attend many funerals? The former would be fine with #8, the latter would probably justify an actual pair of black shoes.

Yea good point. I will be wearing the suit to work and formal dinner, I am young and looking for my first job out of college. I just hope I won't ruin te leather over waxing it with black wax, I'm impatient and not good at that stuff. I think the commando sole will make te not more versatile.

Does the commando sole make the heel higher than leather soles?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) Double leather soled boots and longwings look fine with jeans
2) If you don't have a black captoe shoe in calfskin, honestly get that first . Then get a #8 in a boot or shoe of your choice

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads