***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themache

themache Member

[​IMG]
    Indy in the wild...

2. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

awesome ... wearing it like a REAL boot

3. Roggie Rog

Roggie Rog Well-Known Member

Beautiful pic!

4. dm2703

dm2703 Active Member

5. Abecedarian

Abecedarian Senior member

No surprise, it looks great. Yep, I'll have to pay Steven a phone call this week.

6. captainfunk

captainfunk Senior member

I've put at least 3 coats on my natty cxl over the past month. IMO natural cxl is kind of gross looking when it's fresh. The pitch blend has really turned by natural indys into things of beauty, and they are only 6 weeks old. I'll put some pictures up later.

7. seer

seer Senior member

You could just wipe clean when new, this leather has a good bit of oil in it. But like with all leathers it will dry as time goes on. No, don't use polish use a good waterproofing like Pitch Blend or neatsfoot oil - which the Horween company suggests.

8. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Wax polish, true. Leather conditioner like Venetian shoe creme or shaphir renoveateur or neatsfoot oil are good periodically.

9. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

How black can #8 look if treated right?

Picking your first pair of Aldens is tough, it certainly is an investment. I know I want a Toe Cap Boot with no speed laces but cannot decide between #8/Black Commando Sole/Leather Sole. I don't have a black boot at all, so I would like Black but #8 looks so awesome and if it can stay dark enough to wear with a charcoal or black suit that could be my choice. And as far as soles go leather is a classic but commando soles would really dress it down to wear with jeans, but I'm wondering if it will make it to casual to wear with a suit.. or it might look even better with a suit to contrast. Decisions Decisions!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Yep, I got the Ravellos on crepe. Comfy but death slippery on wet concrete.
    [​IMG]

11. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

They can start out really dark, but they tend to lighten up with use. If you want to keep them dark polish with black wax.

Also, the commando sole is probably fine for wearing with a suit if you're young, just starting out, and not in a formal business environment.

What do you expect to be wearing a black suit for? Fashion, or are you planning to attend many funerals? The former would be fine with #8, the latter would probably justify an actual pair of black shoes.

12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Those are really nice looking. I agree with you that the practicality of the crepe sole is highly over rated around here. My pair was scary slick in rain, and then the leather toe piece started to look like shit after a few wet day wears. I put them away for a few month and pulled them out again - the crepe turned rock hard.

Now that Alden won't resole to a different sole type, I won't ever consider this sole again.

13. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

the crepe will soften back up with some more wear, it's been reported in this thread

but yes, the leather front of the crepe soles will just look awful. my the leather on my Roys is wrecked, but it doesn't matter. it's the bottom of a shoe.

14. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Yea good point. I will be wearing the suit to work and formal dinner, I am young and looking for my first job out of college. I just hope I won't ruin te leather over waxing it with black wax, I'm impatient and not good at that stuff. I think the commando sole will make te not more versatile.

Does the commando sole make the heel higher than leather soles?

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

1) Double leather soled boots and longwings look fine with jeans
    2) If you don't have a black captoe shoe in calfskin, honestly get that first . Then get a #8 in a boot or shoe of your choice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.