***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Thanks for the tip - just ordered a pair. I have been coveting AWW's for a while, but not badly enough to pay full price. :)

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Yeah I remember an AoC one on commando. Couldn't find pics but apparently it was the af22.
    I swear I've seen one on crepe too.
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/3712/alden-of-carmel

3. kippy

kippy Senior member

LOL. Oh that's cold man but I won't disagree. Perhaps a more apt comparison is vanilla, chocolate and "extra-terrestrial rainbow sorbet with cryogenically frozen strawberries" :D

4. ozzyboo

ozzyboo Well-Known Member

Well, guilty as charged again...I picked up the Unionmade PTB in Cigar as well. I knew my size wouldn't last long and finding pairs with non-leather soles is tough, so I pulled the trigger.

Got the Ravello's on now as I head out to the movies, so took a quick phone pic for you. They need a little Mac method love though.

[ATTACHMENT=1754]Ravello PTB.JPG (1,899k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

5. ozzyboo

ozzyboo Well-Known Member

I thought someone would have it as well but no luck when I searched. That J. Gilbert is my size though. A waterloc sole would not absorb as much water as a regular leather sole right? But are they still as slippery in the rain?

6. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Let's us know how you like 'em! I ordered them from Orvis but my size will not be in until August.

7. kippy

kippy Senior member

Tech Tip #1 - my second Alden year.

I wanted to narrow the gap. The barrie-lasted Alden's fit well, some of them very well, but I wanted more. I wanted the perfect fit. I am a 9.5e on the Barrie last and a 10 in regular shoes. Wide foot, avg arch, thin and athletic ankles. The LWBs fit very well, the chukka's I wanted more. I wanted to fly above the clouds.

I had heard the advice about sizing down even more than 1/2 inch. My shoe muse at Alden whispered sweetly "try the 9ee - you will lose a bit of toe room, but the fit will be nice and tight". It was late, I had a bit too much to drink. And then. I did it. I order a 9eee from Shoemart. I waited patiently while they shipped from Connecticut, all the while, piecing together my wings of feather and wax in preparation.

When they arrived I grabbed the box and stuffed it into the closet before the family ever saw them, waited till the wife and kids were in bed (did I mention I used a secret non-joint account paypal card to mask the purchase?) and sliced open - very carefully - the shoemart shipping box. The first moment was exhilarating. The smell of the new cordovan and the sheen of the #8 burgundy made me dizzy with anticipation. I was soaring above the clouds and into the sweet blue sky. I was going to have the PERFECT BARRIE FIT GODDAMIT, CREDIT CARD BILLS AND HOUSE PAYMENT BE DAMNED.

I slipped my left foot into my 6 months old LWB and the right into the new shoe and immediately knew the battle had been in vain. Like Icarus, my feather wings were falling apart and my hopes plummeted further to the ground with every passing second of viewing the new shoe. Wait a minute, these are as wide as hell. Holy crap, they look like clown shoes. And they are as long as my 9.5e's! And the heel looks like it would fit an elephant foot. GOOD LORD HELP ME. They make my wide shoes look like anorexic models. Oh the humanity. Tears flowed.

I cursed my failed ambition and hubris, humbly packed the shoes back in the box and performed an online RMA to Shoemart. My Alden experiment has failed. I am sticking with my 9.5e's. I hope my story and pictures below are useful to all of you seeking to fly too close to the sun with Alden.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I didn't notice darkening in my 403s at all:

But they are pretty dark brown to begin with when they are new so I think YMMV.

9. Roggie Rog

Roggie Rog Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting that brother! We will all benefit from your experience.I'm sure it was well worth the $7.95 return shipping fee. I would say that it is!

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    outstanding shineon your lhs

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

enjoy wearing your good looking shoes

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

mac method will work well!

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

consider black full strap

14. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

AoC does a Ravello lwb on crepe and a #8 chukka on commando. That's likely neither here nor there though.

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello monk
    argyle otc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.