***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

I don't own the Roys, but I can vouch for the 404's - absolutely love them -
    however, my wife says "the Roy's are cuter"
    (maybe I can justify to her buying them now by saying "but you said they were cuter!")
    :)
    fwiw, the Roys are now on preorder at Context's website

2. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

btw, for me, the 404's required absolutely no break in time whatsoever - they were comfortable from the second I put them on

3. REguy

REguy Senior member

What have been people's experiences with Montana Pitch Blend on 403 CXL? I tried some on an old pair of Allen Edmonds Cascades that I use as beaters, and it darkened the leather considerably. Does it mellow out over a couple days? I hate to think how much darker it would make natural CXL.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

4. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

A worthy goal, no doubt. Right up there with tenure.

Even I am left speechless...

5. ozzyboo

ozzyboo Well-Known Member

I have this same shoe from Leffot's last run. Love it. It makes me happy every time I look down and see them on my feet.

Does anyone know where I can get a #8 PTB w/commando (or crepe) sole? Would love to add to my PTB collection but leather soles just don't work for me.

6. kippy

kippy Senior member

++ My sense is that the white sole makes them fashionable with the younger set. My rational for the Alden purchases has always been that they are a timeless design that will look good for decades and the white sole makes them appear way too fashionable for long-term use.

7. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I agree with you. Redwing has been doing the white wedge sole for a looooong time, these Aldens just seem like fashion stuff.

8. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

looking to pick up my first pair of Alden's, but I'd like to ask some questions before I pull the gun.

I am looking at the dark brown Indy Boot or the dark brown LWB, unfortunately, being still a student I cannot justified to pick up both pairs at the same time.

Therefore, I am asking you guys whether if the Indy boot is wearable during the hotter days of summer? I am looking for a pair that can be more versatile, in terms of raw jeans, chinos, and navy/charcoal suits at times.

Thank you in advance for any feedback. :)

9. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Indy boots are totally unsuitable for navy/charcoal suits at an time of the year.

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I don't think I'd wear an Indy with a suit. Not even a dressier pair like in #8 or Cigar.

11. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Senior member

Lwb if you plan on wearing with suits but I'm distracted by your avatar. Nice!

12. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

+++ I agree with your comment that the white sole "makes them appear way too fashionable for long-term use" and might add that the white sole makes them way too ugly for short-term use as well. But that's why there's vanilla and chocolate.

13. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

Thanks. so i'll pick up the LWB now, I am looking at the dark brown and the seconds of #8/cigar in size 10.5D, if anyone wants to sell theirs, please let me know. :)

I will pick up the indy's next time as my winter casual beater.

on my avatar, Kate Upton is just too hot, period.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012

14. Abecedarian

Abecedarian Senior member

Thank you. That's good to know. I'd love to see a picture of them in the wild if you have the time.
    I can't say I've ever seen a #8 PTB with commando or crepe soles. Unionmade did a cigar version with a crepe sole, and it was handsome as all get out.

15. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

I missed out on the Ravello PTB w commando sole from Leffot - close to a perfect shoe. Funny, when I read your question about the #8 PTB with a commando or crepe sole I thought there have got to be lots of places that carry that but the only one I saw in my brief survey that was even close was the J Gilbert version with the waterloc sole. Note to retailers - that sounds like an easy special make-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.