• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty sure that color #8 is Horween's name for that shade of shell cordovan. So you might just be needing a pair of burgundy calf if you are not interested in shell.

They make a #8 chromexcel. Rancourt uses it.

g.michael

Reaction score

That comparison is also good to highlight the problem that people with a high instep have with the Van - see how much further the shoe comes up on the instep. That's what makes them almost unwearable for me.

It is a problem. I could wear a half size down (10.5C) from a length, width, toebox standpoint, but the strap pinched both of my insteps in a very unpleasant way. These seem to fit well--I feel a slight rub on the left instep but think it will loosen up a bit and be fine.

The other problem with the unlined version is the squishing noise--have had it on two pairs (including this one). I thought it was a gap in the heel pad but it is air coming up through the handsewn holes on the vamp when I walk. Only on the left shoe.

PeteC

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Longtime lurker here. Thanks to this thread in about a year and a half I've gone from zero Aldens to seven and one on pre-order. While I thank you my wallet does not. Cheers.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello everyone. Longtime lurker here. Thanks to this thread in about a year and a half I've gone from zero Aldens to seven and one on pre-order. While I thank you my wallet does not. Cheers.

Ha! Poor guy. We all feel your pain. We need to start a support group..."Aldenoholics Anonymous".

"Hi everyone. My name is Chris and I'm an Aldenoholic. I'm proud to say that I have not joined a pre order in over 9 months and it's been over a week since I have vigorously brushed with a horse hair brush. It's just...days where I feel alone and no one gets me... I know that my collection of shell will comfort and understand me."

Last edited:

Marw

Reaction score
I know it's been asked a dozen of times before, but I couldn't find any answers when I searched. My PTB get these dry spots between the creases. What to do?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know it's been asked a dozen of times before, but I couldn't find any answers when I searched. My PTB get these dry spots between the creases. What to do?

mac method regularly, saphir occasionally...

Marw

Reaction score
I use the universial cream(the only they had left last time I checked at the local store). Is Renovator the only way to go?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished maccing my recently-acquired 974s. Looking miles better already.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I`m a 7C. you`re right though about the sizes. I just pre-ordered the #8 captoe off lsh and have to wait 9 months for it :fu:
If you`re a 7B wouldn`t you be a 6.5C in the barrie/tb/modified lasts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads