***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Great picture. It shows that the unlined Van lasted shoes are narrower in the heel and wider in the toe box (great). It also shows how much tighter the Van is than the Aberdeen over the instep (not great).

I wonder if the narrower heel on the unlined BB is due to the very narrow heel stiffener that Alden uses. I seem to recall thinking the Van last had a reasonably wide heel when I tried on the regular lined version - I wonder if they use a wider stiffener on those shoes.

2. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Thank you.

3. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Darn, those are very nice. Lovely shine and excellent sock/trouser pairing, of course, but there's something about the color of this particular pair. Thanks for the photo.

Don't mean to buck the trend here too much, but I have a pair of shell chukkas and don't feel as if they have a loose or sloppy fit. I do double knot the laces, but I do that with all the thin dress laces on my Aldens. Otherwise I'm retying them about every five minutes. Don't know why that is... But now I'm going to have to put those chukkas on again, just to see if the power of suggestion makes them feel loose.

4. Simplicio

Simplicio Senior member

Do you mean as in the Alden commando soles? I don't know if this is possible. Nick at B. Nelson told me that they can't source the same sole that Alden uses, and I don't think that there was a different brand with a similar look that he recommended. The soles you see in the picture are the ones that he recommended, and I am glad I took his advice.

I don't have a specific amount, since it was bundled with charges for other work. But I think you could expect at least $150, maybe a little more. But don't quote me. Only Nick could say.

5. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

I think it was Kissinger that said "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that people aren't out to get you." Same could be true about your feet - they might still be weird. :D

6. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

That comparison is also good to highlight the problem that people with a high instep have with the Van - see how much further the shoe comes up on the instep. That's what makes them almost unwearable for me.

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I can't fit in any Van lasted shoe (that I have tried) because the vamp is too low. Shame because I would love a pair of whisky LHS.

8. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

After wasting a sickening amount of money on LHS in various sizes over the years, I have abandoned all hope of wearing them for this very reason.

+1

Couldn't agree more. Color 8 is so very versatile.

#8 and alpine calf saddles today.[​IMG]

9. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

+1 to your +1.

The only time I think black looks a nice as #8 is when I'm wearing a charcoal suit. Every other time, #8 looks so much better. I obtain shoes in at least a 10/1 ratio of anything else to black.

10. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Was just admiring those saddles online (Leffot, yes?). I am coming to like the style, particularly with the Oxford lacing. And this version is so nice with the contrast of #8 and the tan calf.

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

good looking shoe wardrobe

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Darn, those are very nice. Lovely shine and excellent sock/trouser pairing, of course, but there's something about the color of this particular pair. Thanks for the photo.

thank you

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Does calf ever come in a #8? Mostly looking for calf #8 toe cap or long boot.

14. marg

marg Senior member

i wear them with all but chinos - i prefer browns or color 8 with them over black

15. wrinklefree

wrinklefree Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that color #8 is Horween's name for that shade of shell cordovan. So you might just be needing a pair of burgundy calf if you are not interested in shell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.