***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

orly

2. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

My humble lineup

1. #8 LHS
    2. Cigar LWB
    3. BB Shell PTB
    4. LS CXL Chukka
    5. CXL Indy

[​IMG]

After looking at this pic i need some whiskey and suede in the worst way...:embar:

3. REguy

REguy Senior member

^ Nice. I feel like it's been an eternity since LS did the CXL chukka reorder. Anyone have an update on those?

4. East Tide

East Tide Member

5. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

What made the Van a bit weird for me is Alden's sizing chart that clearly has it in the "size down a half size" category. I can comfortably wear the Aberdeen/Hampton last in both 10.5C (for slip-ons) and 11B (for lace-ups). Barrie/Trubalance is either 10C or 10.5B if I want more toe room. I do have an 11B full strap cordovan--probably should have gone with 10.5C as there is still some heel slip in the right shoe after breaking them in, but it works good enough. In the Van, I first tried half size down from 10.5C to 10D (no 10C available)--too short. Tried 10.5C--still a bit short and the strap was killing me in both feet (I don't have a super high instep--probably medium). Received an 11B today--initial impression is that it is the size that may work for me. Holding it up to my 11B full strap (Aberdeen)--the Van is slightly shorter and slightly narrower. All of the Van's have been the BB unlined version. So in comparing the BB unlined cordovan Van in11B against my Alden full strap cordovan in 11B--the Van is shorter and narrower, with a nice narrow heel. The Aberdeen is slightly longer, wider and definitely has a wider heel (a problem mentioned by others here). Very strange. It's working for now so I can't complain too much but I guess the lesson here is that Alden last chart is merely one data point in trying to find the proper fit.

6. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

brannock sizes?
    I went down in size. guess I burned a lot of fat enough for me to size down 1/2 :rotflmao:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  7. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

What's the best lookin black pair of indys?

8. kippy

kippy Senior member

Mac, perhaps this is too personal a question, but are you moving sizes because you realized you were in the wrong shoe size previously or because your foot proportions changed? Do one's feet change with age and/or weight gain/loss that dramatically?

9. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Just got a shipping notice on these - I'll post up a pic when they get in. Handled one in the store and they look super sharp. 270 welt + barrie fit + double sole is a nice combo with #8.

10. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Thanks for the kind words!

uncle - always look forward to your pictures on this thread.

Thinking about some LHS for spring - would love to get some in chromexcel, but those seem a little hard to get a hold of based on leather soul's site. Anyone looked at the rancourt loafers? http://www.rancourtandcompany.com/m...ny-loafer-brown-chromexcel-made-to-order.html Price looks good, made here, 2 week turnaround from the factory (and they have shell)... anyone had their hands on the rancourts and the lhs to compare? Sizing? Is it true they make the cape cod line for alden?

11. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Yah i was fortunate enough to jump on the boot duing thr first run. I love them. They'll be worth the wait.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  12. Simplicio

Simplicio Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This is the Brixton boot from Epaulet, in natural chromexcel. I had B. Nelson swap out the double leather sole for a commando. I haven't taken them out for a spin yet, but I think I'm pleased with the result.

13. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Congrats! Did you get them when J Crew was allowing you to take the 25-30% off on Aldens? I had them in my cart several times but never checked out. After tax the price was still pretty high and the boot wasn't eactly what I wanted. I ended up buying the Shoemart version. It has all eyelets (which I wanted so I could wear this as a dress boot), a leather sole, straight captoe with no preforations, and most importantly its on the Grant last. I have many shoes on the Barrie but they are not my best fitting. The grant last is perfect for my foot.

Those do look awesome and i'm sure you will enjoy. Post some pics when you get them.

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Nice.
    Was a stacked leather heel an option?

15. mothball

mothball Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.