1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    whiskey wt
    argyle otc

2. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

I agree with the parenthetical - so we have some common ground! :slayer:

This has been debated before. My two cents:

First, I do not believe that there is a shortage of hides to process (there may be a shortage of cheap hides but that is a different matter). Next, production is not the issue - I'm sure our friends at Horween would love to expand production (they have far fewer employees than they used to).

No, when it comes to Alden, I believe it is a matter of price - Horween charges more for the lighter colors because it needs to use better hides (black and Color 8 "hide" a multitude of sins, pun intended) and because they can.
    • For the big production Color 8 and black, Alden and Horween have a symbiotic business relationship - they need each other and it's my bet that Alden and Horween do a delicate dance on pricing - both trying to get close, but not too close, to the point at which the cost of a hide cost too much or too little to make the other walk away
    • Alden isn't asking for, and Horween isn't relying on the bulk orders of, lighter colors so that pricing tension between the two doesn't exist
    • It also costs Alden more to make shoes in multiple colors (starting with the expanded inventory of hides you need to keep on hand, time incurred switching production between colors, etc.) and that acts as a big disincentive on expanding production of "one-offs"

Alden wants to make $X on each shoe and to do so it must keep its costs down. Translation - limited offerings (Alden has obviously determined that some variation is appropriate to reward good customers like SM, LS, Leffot; and to keep a buzz going with consumers, etc.).

Smaller manufacturers like Rider, Yuketen, etc. get rare colors because they are willing to pay more.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  3. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

I snagged that last 11.5 officer indy, sorry. I'll let you know if fit is an issue. I was also bidding on those 11.5 d #8 lwb... dammit beowolf.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  4. abam

abam Senior member

Seconds -- though I'm not even sure if they are color 4...

5. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

To Leffot customers - do they ever have Alden pre-orders similar to the one that LS is currently offering? I've seen some really nice Leffot makeups, like their blue suede longwing, that I would love to pre-order and specify a narrow width. I'm stoked I got a pre-order in with LS on their current offerings, and it would be cool if Leffot did something similar on some of their popular models that they tend to re-stock on a pretty regular basis.

6. rmspawn

rmspawn Senior member

I really appreciate your input on this matter. I decided to take your advice and have ordered a pair of 4065's in 9D from the shoe mart. I'll let you know how the fit works out. Thanks.

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I would go .5 from the Barrie. I wear 6.5D Barrie and the 7D Grants fits well for me (actually 6.5E also works fine). TSM is usually pretty good with customer service so I'm sure they will be no hassle with exchanges. good luck!

8. Renton

Renton Senior member

I've asked about that and the people at Leffot were not receptive to that idea.

9. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I have talked to Steve at Leffot and he said to send him an e-mail of the shoes I would be interested in getting if he orders, but I never got any confirmation he actually read the e-mail, infact he has not responded to any e-mail I have sent over the past 2 years asking for product info. He has answered the phone a couple times, but that is it. I have not had much luck with him. I was going to get on the day tripper pre-order and he never got back to me to let me place my order.

10. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

Why are there so many version of Alden Indys?

11. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

interesting...thanks for the info. I'll give it a try anyway to see if it gets any sort of traction whatsoever, if not then I'm probably out of luck for most of the stuff they offer.

12. sellran

sellran Senior member

Just an FYI - I know this is not Alden related - but with all of this discussion of rare shells - Gilt Men has in my checkout links (it says on special offer to me) to the Florsheim wingtips by Duckie Brown in navy and dark cherry shell. They list most sizes still available. I already own the navy shell and love them. They are listed for $325!

13. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

anyone ever have customer service issues with theshoemart? I bought a new pair of aldens from them in November, at full price ($500). About a month later and 6-8 wears later I noticed that some of the stiching was coming loose causing the leather sections to seperate slightly. Also several of the eyelets have sharp metal shards inside them that shred laces in about a day. I talked to Alden first and they said to contact theshoemart about repairs/returns. Theshoemart doesn't even respond to my emails or anything......I realize the shoes are used and can't be returned for a full refund but seriously.....you can't sell a $500 shoe that starts falling apart after one month of regular wear in a mostly office environment.

14. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Have you tried calling them?

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I had an extremely unpleasant customer service experience with them. I won't go into it, but suffice it to say that I would never (in a million years) deal with them again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.