***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Where did you find the 404s for $219.?

2. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

They were going for that price at Barneys

3. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

natural chromexcel indys in the wild...

[​IMG]

chorizo jcrew captoes on the subway...

[​IMG]

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

IT WAS YOU!!!!!!

I'd been sold on grabbing their 11.5, but it sold the day before I could make my purchase. Those look fantastic. Enjoy them!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  5. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Insanely good price. I would have snagged those for sure.

6. abam

abam Senior member

So, I fit a 7.5 Barrie in LWBs slightly snug - would I be able to wear a 8D in Barrie boots?

7. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

Yoink! :smarmy:

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

They're going to be both longer and wider. You'll probably be fine on width, but only you know if it's going to be too long.

9. REguy

REguy Senior member

Really liking this new Unionmade make-up. The Aberdeen gets a bad rap but, like all Alden lasts, it's still pretty voluminous. In fact, these seem to fit slightly larger than my other Aberdeen lasted shoes, both calf and shell. They still fit, but it makes absolutely no sense especially given how the hand-stitched vamp usually causes the shoes to feel tighter. Just goes to show that sizing can vary even on the same last.

[​IMG]

10. applky

applky Senior member

^ Now that Winn Perry is no longer with us, Unionmade has to be doing the best Alden make ups on the West Coast (or at least the best calf make ups if you count LSBH).

Love how the NST stitching matches the welt stitching. Wish Alden's scotch grain leather aged better.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  11. abam

abam Senior member

Which to buy: Cigar Cap Toe Boot, or Ravello/Color 8/Color 4 Wingtip Boot? I currently have Whiskey LWBs, and the goal is to keep my shoe collection below 6 pairs...

12. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

who has the Color 4 wingtip boot?

I wonder if Color 4 is actually easier to produce than Whiskey or Ravello, which is why we are seeing more of it now. I've always read that lighter shell = harder to produce, and #4 is definitely darker than Whiskey. it's...different than Ravello so harder to say there

13. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I wonder what has made #4 such a rare color to begin with. It looks like it can't be any harder to make than Whiskey, if lighter does in fact = harder to make. Wonder if it's something they've held back to, reasonably enough and it seems successfully, generate interest among aficionados, or if there's some exclusivity agreement that's expired or some such. Anyway, if they really do roll out #4 in a wider variety of their makeups, are we all going to have to add another PTB, LWB, Indy, etc. etc. to be competent Alden completists? Clever, those folks at Alden... :sly:

14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Every time I see those Chorizo-fied J Crew captoes, it makes me wish I bought them and did the same thing...great work on those!

15. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I mean, it's like asking why navy or green shell is rare I guess - it's b/c big shoemakers don't usually use it! it's partially a supply side issue prolly as Horween seems to be maxed out as is making light colors, so to produce #4 would (presumably) mean producing less of some other 'rare' colors, and Alden has such a ridiculous demand for those colors as is that...why bother? there are a whole bunch of colors Alden doesn't use that I have seen other makers use, including natural, saddle, walnut, #6, cognac, chestnut, gunmetal, navy, forest green...probably others. so they probably have to just work with Horween to figure out some allocation of rare colors they get, and they are too big of a company to make tiny tiny orders of certain colors.

(this is 100% conjecture on my part)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.