***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    safe flight

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

3. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I'm wanting to improve the overall condition of the shoe. The sole is still very functional, but rather hammered. The upper has been somewhat mistreated by the previous owner, and wanting to get the gunk off it that's already on and restore it to its potential. The insole; you can obviously feel someone else's foot in there, so to speak, but it's not uncomfortable by any means. I can handle the sole as-is, but I'm just thinking about the future as well.

McCarran is a great airport. Very quick and you can get your last minute slots in too :satisfied:

Pic from work yesterday -

[​IMG]

4. rmspawn

rmspawn Senior member

Quick question. If I wear an 8.5D on the Barrie, what size boot should I go with on the Grant? I was considering sticking with the 8.5D but might also order a 9D. I have gone through the thread and looked at the "lasts comparison chart", but the recommendation of going up a half size on the Grant doesn't make sense to me. The Grant and Barrie appear to be the same length with the Grant running a bit more narrow. Any input would be appreciated.

5. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

6. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

Yesterday, I tried on the Indy 405, 404, 403 and 401. While they looked great on the pics I've seen on this thread, I just couldn't pull the trigger ... even at $219, the 404 's tempted me, but I just couldn't see myself making them work.

Well today, I made my way to Epaulet and bought their final pair of the Officer's Indy (brown chromexel, tone-on-tone stitching and double-leather soles). I couldn't be happier with my first pair of Alden's. I wore them home and was impressed with the lack of 'breaking-in" required ... especially considering the robust leather soles.

[​IMG]

7. applky

applky Senior member

^ The double leather sole will get even more comfortable in the months to come. It's a sole that rewards long wear and good care. Enjoy wearing them.

8. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Wow, you're right. Modified and Trubalance. I hope you can send those back, that simply does not work.

9. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

If they are shoes on different lasts, it makes you wonder how they ended up together...:deadhorse:

10. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

[​IMG]

Just won these on ebay. Barely worn. Can't wait to get them.

11. rioni

rioni Senior member

Factory error. They have identical markings inside each shoe.

12. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Here's my grant experience. I asked this same question a few pages back when looking to buy some grant lasted captoe boots. I wear a 9 D in the Barrie and i've also tried a 9E in the Barrie. I won some of each and wear them both. The 9D is a little snug and the 9E is a little loose. I have a pair of 9.5 D leydon lasted LWB and they fit great. I went with a 9.5D on the grant. I was concerned that they would be too long but to my suprise they are the best fitting Aldens I have. I think going up .5 size is at least a pretty good place to start.

13. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Those look good.

14. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

Thanks. They look almost new. I looked at the other images and I cannot imagine these shoes being worn more than a few times.

15. sellran

sellran Senior member

Yep, they can put danite soles on Alden's. The pics were of my shoes which I took on the subway right after leaving B.Nelson. Since then I've worn them many times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.