***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob Senior member

supposedly when they get new shipment of seconds from alden.

How do the other Alden shops get their seconds? Is it just firsts shipped to them that really shouldn't have been?

2. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Your question is very confusing. IIRC, Shoemart is the only place that gets seconds, so no other Alden shops get those.

They most definitely do not get shipments monthly, but rather every several months.

3. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Alden of Carmel usually has a few irregulars but they seem to just be of their special makeups.

4. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

i know some people love modified lasts, but when I got a pair, it was so bulbous on the front of the shoe. returned it promptly

5. WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob Senior member

I've had luck on 2 pair of seconds from Shoemart, always thought they were the only ones I knew of. This post below is why I'm asking...

6. ClassyCanuck

ClassyCanuck Senior member

Beauties....Are these on the Barrie last?

7. REguy

REguy Senior member

I once got a pair of Shoemart seconds where the two shoes wound up being different sizes. It was a little irritating because they wouldn't refund my shipping. I thought it was a small price to pay given some of the deals I've scored through them.

8. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

yup. ty

9. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

My guess is that AoC irregulars are deemed such by the proprietor. Judging by my single pair he is standard for regular quality is high. They also have a overstock page. Selection is very limited for both: one pair in whatever size it happens to be seems to be the rule. But worth keepIng an eye on. And the more others here buy, the fewer pairs of Aldens I'll have to explain to my wife as "they were on sale!"

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  10. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Guys

Just a heads-up that I posted a few shoes in the B&S section:

Alden whiskey LHS 9 1/2 B/D (Van last) $350 shipped CONUS (includes an Alden box - not original - and shoe bags). Light wear, purchased several years back (possibly from ShoeMart?).

Alden chromexcel chukka with commando sole 9 B/D (Barrie last). This is a customization by Alden Restoration of the Leather Soul CXL chukka. The chukkas were worn a few times last winter, I slipped and slid on the original waterloc soles and then sent them to Alden. They've been worn a few times since they were re-soled. Total times worn = less than 10. The "carbon footprint" of these boots, however, is embarrassing: Massachusetts to Hawaii to Chicago to Massachusetts to Chicago to Massachusetts and finally back to Chicago (this is the job that may have prompted Alden to modify their restoration policy to no longer accept customizations - think of it as buying a bit of history). $425 shipped CONUS (includes original box and shoe bags).

Rider chromexcel venetian loafer 10 D (made by Rancourt & Co in Maine) $100 shipped CONUS (no box, no shoe bags). Purchased from Leffot, nice casual loafer on Amazonas rubber sole. Buried in the back of my closet, more scuffs from that placement than from actual wear.

All quotes are using paypal gift (add 4% for "regular" paypal).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  11. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

The shoemart 2nds are totally hit or miss. I bought a pair of whiskey LWBs this summer that were literally perfect (the guy at shoemart said he had no idea why they were even marked as seconds)
    others seem to have had terrible luck, though

12. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

is that a whiskey of the darker variety that seems to pop up, or more standard in your opinion?

looks good with khakis

13. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I'm not so sure. I had a pair of whiskey LWB that I sold on B&S and they seemed to have the same coloration as these. I think the more you wear them the lighter they get. I am on the pre-order for the whiskey boot with Ep, so I guess I'll be able to say more definitively in 16 months...

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

you can wear any alden with snow and salt on the ground if you wear overshoes

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

good looking boot wardrobe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.