• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougie

Reaction score
Just oiled some natural cxl boots with Obenauf's and...whoops. The parts that crease/receive more 'activity' when walking (i.e. around the toebox) darkened significantly, but other parts did not. I know they're not ruined, but does anybody have any thoughts on how to even out the color a bit?

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anybody in here have the All-Weather Walkers? I need a pair of casual shoes and would love to hear some feedback on these.

I have a pair and think they're one of the most comfortable, and least remarkable looking, shoes I own.

AAF-8AF

Reaction score

Anyone have a pair of Leather Soul's CXL LHS in the wild?

I do. Here are a couple of pix.

162f7fe9.jpg

6ca2a4e6.jpg

seer

Reaction score
Just oiled some natural cxl boots with Obenauf's and...whoops. The parts that crease/receive more 'activity' when walking (i.e. around the toebox) darkened significantly, but other parts did not. I know they're not ruined, but does anybody have any thoughts on how to even out the color a bit?

Don't do anything. This happened almost every time I use Lexol or Obenauf on my natural tanker boots early on - after a few days the color evens out by itself. And as you oil your boots you will see this less and less - it only happened to me the first few times - give them time to breath...

Last edited:

dougie

Reaction score

Don't do anything. This happened almost every time I use Lexol or Obenauf on my natural tanker boots early on - after a few days the color evens out by itself. And as you oil your boots you will see this less and less - it only happened to me the first few times - give them time to breath...

Word. Thanks man. I knew instinctively that I hadn't really done anything wrong, but still a scary moment, right?

seer

Reaction score
Word. Thanks man. I knew instinctively that I hadn't really done anything wrong, but still a scary moment, right?

Yes, the first time I oiled them not only did the toe boxes and creases get much darker there were black spots all along the outside lower part of the boots. Though I have been thinking about using neatsfoot oil - that is what Horween suggests for their CXL leather.

Last edited:

AAF-8AF

Reaction score

Thanks! Been thinking about getting these. They look great. Got any comments on them?

I like them a lot and they are the casual LHS I was wanting. The fit is a little loose, especially in the heel, and I had to put in tongue pads to push my foot back as well as wear thicker socks. I got them the same size as two pair I have in shell but they are looser overall. In the shell versions I had to use a shoe stretcher a couple times and be patient with break-in until the strap stopped pressing so much on my instep. These CXL shoes never bothered my instep at all. They start out a bit stiff, so that contributes some to the heel slipping, but I still think that for whatever reason the heel is looser. Even with the tongue pads my heels still slip a bit and that means that these shoes have not been great so far for long walks.

So, would I want a smaller size? That's a tough call because I don't think I could do with one width narrower to address the heel as I think it's perfect in the forefoot as it is and the strap on the LHS is a challenge to fit right. Lengthwise, the widest part of my foot is at the widest part of the shoe, so going shorter would compromise that fit with, again, putting more strap pressure on the instep. Given all that I know, I think I have the right size but will deal with the heel and abstain from wearing them if I need to do a lot of walking. I'm okay with the compromise. Let me know if you have any other questions.

shaunw

Reaction score
Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Note: NOT meant to be a rant post at all.

Sitting at home with the flu so I examined some of my Aldens for missing punches.
Examine some suede shortwings, ravello longwings, my unworn #8 longwings from Orvis, and my whiskey longwings.
Only the ravello were not missing a punch, hence no picture of them.
Each pic is of a different shoe.

missing1.jpg

missing2.jpg

missing3.jpg

missing4.jpg

missing5.jpg

Last edited:

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice collection! Maybe the missing punch is a feature :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads