***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rioni

rioni Senior member

2. dougie

dougie Senior member

Just oiled some natural cxl boots with Obenauf's and...whoops. The parts that crease/receive more 'activity' when walking (i.e. around the toebox) darkened significantly, but other parts did not. I know they're not ruined, but does anybody have any thoughts on how to even out the color a bit?

3. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I have a pair and think they're one of the most comfortable, and least remarkable looking, shoes I own.

4. AAF-8AF

AAF-8AF Well-Known Member

I do. Here are a couple of pix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. seer

seer Senior member

Don't do anything. This happened almost every time I use Lexol or Obenauf on my natural tanker boots early on - after a few days the color evens out by itself. And as you oil your boots you will see this less and less - it only happened to me the first few times - give them time to breath...

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  6. dougie

dougie Senior member

Word. Thanks man. I knew instinctively that I hadn't really done anything wrong, but still a scary moment, right?

7. seer

seer Senior member

Yes, the first time I oiled them not only did the toe boxes and creases get much darker there were black spots all along the outside lower part of the boots. Though I have been thinking about using neatsfoot oil - that is what Horween suggests for their CXL leather.

8. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Thanks! Been thinking about getting these. They look great. Got any comments on them?

9. doclocke

doclocke Member

Can you describe the fit of the chromexel LHS compared to the fit of the cordovan LHS (lined or unlined)?

10. chantheman

chantheman Senior member

is there a specific bone on the deer to use? my dad hunts deer. i have access to an abundance of deer bones

11. AAF-8AF

AAF-8AF Well-Known Member

I like them a lot and they are the casual LHS I was wanting. The fit is a little loose, especially in the heel, and I had to put in tongue pads to push my foot back as well as wear thicker socks. I got them the same size as two pair I have in shell but they are looser overall. In the shell versions I had to use a shoe stretcher a couple times and be patient with break-in until the strap stopped pressing so much on my instep. These CXL shoes never bothered my instep at all. They start out a bit stiff, so that contributes some to the heel slipping, but I still think that for whatever reason the heel is looser. Even with the tongue pads my heels still slip a bit and that means that these shoes have not been great so far for long walks.

So, would I want a smaller size? That's a tough call because I don't think I could do with one width narrower to address the heel as I think it's perfect in the forefoot as it is and the strap on the LHS is a challenge to fit right. Lengthwise, the widest part of my foot is at the widest part of the shoe, so going shorter would compromise that fit with, again, putting more strap pressure on the instep. Given all that I know, I think I have the right size but will deal with the heel and abstain from wearing them if I need to do a lot of walking. I'm okay with the compromise. Let me know if you have any other questions.

12. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Note: NOT meant to be a rant post at all.

Sitting at home with the flu so I examined some of my Aldens for missing punches.
    Examine some suede shortwings, ravello longwings, my unworn #8 longwings from Orvis, and my whiskey longwings.
    Only the ravello were not missing a punch, hence no picture of them.
    Each pic is of a different shoe.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

thank you

15. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Nice collection! Maybe the missing punch is a feature :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.