***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloudshift

cloudshift Senior member

Anyone have any experience with these Alden for J.Crew longwings? (The "dark brown" ones.)

Description says it's Horween Chromexcel leather, so should I expect some "character" as the shoe ages? On the shelf, they're a pretty boring dark brown (in my opinion), so I guess I'm just wondering, if this is a pull-up leather, what colors I should expect to come out with wear? I searched for broken in pics of the shoe, but didn't have any luck.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/direction. :)

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Navy suede chukka, barrie last, single oiled leather sole from Tassels. I will spray these with some waterproofer, put back in the boxes until March, when they will get another treatment before wearing

[​IMG]

Assorted goodies, some shoe related

[​IMG]

Top left is Leffot natural cordovan "fold" wallet, large
    Top right is Leffot shoe horn (I went back on my own advice, it's real horn and only cost $35)
    Bottom left is Acqua di Parma shaving cream
    Bottom middle is a new tub of Saphir Reno
    Bottom right is some Proraso pre/after shave treatment
    Good thing the C.O. Bigelow pharmacy is a few steps from Leffot, made the errands easy today

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

These appears to be on the Plaza. They look like a pair I used to own which creased excessively in the vamp area.

4. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

How do you like the "Fold?" I have been considering one but haven't taken the plunge - this is the first photo I've seen in the wild.

5. applky

applky Senior member

Mac's are on the Plaza. I have to say, the creasing looks fine to me.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i dont like it. This is Plaza last in general. Creases almost more than any other last. Perhaps because of its length. I think I need to go same size as Barrie but with an E width. Just cant stand excessive creasing.

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    they are on the plaza last

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Here are some more in action. I've only had it for a few hours and haven't really used it yet, but it looks like I will like it a lot. You can fit some currency, probably 3 cards (ID, two credit cards), a metro card and a few biz cards in it. The folds should set in after some long term use. Here are some more photos, and a comparison to my old Coach water buffalo wallet (which I will continue to use for some occasions)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Welp, I'm sold...

Thanks for posting those.

10. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

That's correct. I'll put photos up as soon as they arrive.

11. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

i would totally get that except i dont carry cash ... ever. looks great though

12. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I've got a pair of those. They're not chromexcel. They're just regular dark brown calf.

13. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Wow, talk about false advertising. J crew needs to be called on for that.

14. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Went wine tasting today in Napa wearing my cigar cap-toe boots and had someone ask me what shoes I had on. Success? :foo:

15. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

It's tough to explain.

It's kind of like somebody coming up to you and saying your whiskey longwings are just shoes and what's the big deal. You can explain to them the long and complex process from start to finish of getting from the horse's ass to your feet or the quality of their construction or longevity and they might get it and garner a stronger appreciation for it, or they'll just shake their head and think you're a nutter for spending that much money on shoes.

The same principle applies to denimheads. Go over to the superdenim thread on Superfuture sometime and listen to those guys talk about their jeans. It's no different than the guys here talking about their shoes or boots. Once you get your first pair of raw denim, there is a necessary ritual you go through to prepare your denim for wear. Guys post pics of their denim break in process, some from the very first pre-soak all the way to two or three years from then, so you can see the entire evolution of the denim going from the blank indigo slate it starts out as, all the way to its creased and faded golden years.

Examples

New and unworn:

[​IMG]

Probably a few years and a dozen washes or so:

[​IMG]

That's the primary appeal of raw denim. Your legs create the way the denim looks, not some factory worker with a laundromat and sandpaper. Your jeans are literally your own creation and nobody else's looks exactly the same way since everyone's body is different.

All I can say is, once you commit to raw denim, you just don't want to wear any other denim; at least for me anyway. It would be like going from wearing said whiskey longwings above to Cole Haans. Anyway, enough with the thread derailing. Let's see some more Aldens. :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.