***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kippy

kippy Senior member

Thank you for the tips, I will certainly check them out. Are the 0500 and 710 short rise cuts?

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Check out RRL low straights.

3. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I just use the free ones I've received from various stores over the years... I'd rather spend the money on other stuff

5. Teger

Teger Senior member

rrl slim boot would be better for him than the low sraight (which isn't really low rise).

also hem/roll your jeans to no break.

6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I've been known to look at shoes and such myself, at the expense of the purported main topic.

I'll definitely post some WT boot photos. I wear them with pretty much anything. Jeans, khaki, various hues of wool, etc. I'm pretty easy going when it comes to pairing things up, frequently to my wife's chagrin.

My two cents on the off topic denim question: There seem to be plenty of options out there, but I did stop into a maker in Nashville this fall called Imogen+Willie. Nice people selling their very own Cone Mills selvedge denim jeans. Got a pair of the shorter rise, slim straight model, the Barton. Sizing was interesting. They shoe-horned me into a 31 (wear a 34 in the real world) on the premise that these things stretch as the break in. Completely the case, though the first week or so is, ahem, a bit uncomfortable. Probably would go 32 next time... End of off topic comments.

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

That's quite an imagination the sales guy has :).

8. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

So I just went back to the San Fran Alden store and bought one of the short ones like this:

[​IMG]

It's very nice versus plastic free ones. I figure its something I can use every day the rest of my life so may as well be nice.

Also picked up some leather defender.

9. applky

applky Senior member

If I may say so, you seem fastidious enough that you would find any QC-related shade variations in rare shell to be annoying. I would recommend #8. It's versatile, widely available, and beautiful.

I think it's quite sung. People seem to be quite enthusiastic about color 8 on these boards, and out there in the Real World.

While I wouldn't spend $300 on denim, spending at least $150 for a quality pair is something I would also endorse. If you're only going to own one or two pairs of denim -- and that's all you realistically need -- make them a quality pair in a fit and fabric you like that will last.

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I can certainly relate to that. I love turn of the century imagery. My eyes are always drawn to the shoes, trouser break, lapels, etc...but mostly the shoes.

I keep wavering between #8 or Cigar Chukka boots. You've just made the decision much easier. Fantastic images of your Color #8 PTB's.​

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Every year, I buy one new pair of denim (selvege, typically raw) at $220 to $300... Compared to all other clothing expenditures (suits, shoes, etc), it really is inexpensive on a per wear basis, and given guys will be wearing the same pair a lot in a variety of different settings, it is a pretty important investment piece

12. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    very good looking nst, enjoy wearing, no shoes on the cocktail table

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

very nice, enjoy wearing, good day for cigar

15. dm2703

dm2703 Active Member

A Post on Restoration:

I wore this pair of tobacco reverse chamois indy shoes from J gilbert nearly every day for a year. After a while they got old, some of stitching started breaking apart. I added some brooks saddle dressing to make it water proof. then the first hole appeared in the left sole, then the right. they got bigger. I dressed and redressed the edge to keep it looking decent. I even stopped abusing them after 8 months and used shoe trees and a shoe horn. then one day i walked into moulded. the guys looked at them and suggested it was time to send them in...and it was.

145 usd and 4 months later they have shown up, with an alden greenbox, cloth protectors, and shoe trees. They replaced the heals, soles (with more water resistant ones i think), added a new pad my foot, replaced the cork, and tried to repair any loose stitching. good effort all around... my "ugly brown" shoes are back.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.