***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

you guys keep talking like leathersoul is the only place to get aldens. aldens have many makeup's with other retailers now. its only a matter time before you get your hands on what you want just the wait. i don't even go to leathersouls page anymore. i mostly just go here or check out other blogs.

2. kippy

kippy Senior member

Perhaps you should re-read my post before calling me out as a fool. My perspective stands as fact. I did not post about it at the time online and my response was rather matter-of-fact. I just took my business elsewhere where getting someone to respond to a simple question like "what do you have in size 9.5e" could be answered directly. If you would like to characterize me as a fool for doing so, perhaps you ought to examine your own intentions. Notice I have said nothing about Tom - I didn't speak to him when I called LS in LA. All you say may be true of Tom's intentions but that really has nothing to do with my business interactions with the LS shop.

Also, let's not lump Steven from Leffot into this - as I mentioned in my post, he did not have anything in my size but was perfectly cordial and responsive over the phone to my inquiries. Enough that I felt comfortable buying a few other items from him. His process and those of other shops seem a bit more democratic or straight forward with regards to shoes and sizes than what I experienced with LS in LA.

Let me make this crystal clear for you - I wish LS the best and I would be happy to buy a shoe from them. They have wonderful and unique makeups. But in the meanwhile, while I wait around, my money goes to other shops who for whatever reason do not have issues supplying me with shoes I love. It seems my perspective is not so unique on this forum.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

3. Burton

Burton Senior member

Right. The record stands as written--let others decide.

4. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Well said, Kippy. Your experience has been similar to mine with LS and although I have purchased a couple of Aldens from LS, my experience with them has always been as if they were doing me a favor by selling me $700 shoes. That's why I HAVE voted with my wallet and prefer to deal with Mike at Epaulet and Steven at Leffot for my Alden needs. Neither of those shops are 'web' stores, but they still seem happy to serve customers outside a limited 'local' reach with superior customer service.

5. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

i agree with this, mike and steve will help you if they can leathersoul at times do seem like they are doing you a big favor. j.crew was doing people favors before with the 25-30% off thing on aldens :).

6. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

If you are referring to the Cordovan that Alden purchases from Horween, the raw hides come from Canada. Only the calf comes from overseas (france etc.)

7. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

that's the only part I disagree with. the deprecation of Aldens - particularly in any sought after/rare model - is stunningly low in the second hand market. even after 1 wear they can be worth 90% of retail, and after a few wears 80%. Allen Edmonds aren't even worth that % of their retail price new.

if you are talking about his other brands, like Lobbs/EG, you might be right, I don't know

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

8. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

There has been a lot of Leather Soul basing lately. Even though i'm not a coke snortin', bespoke rockin', oil tycoon I have had nothing but positive things to say about my transactions with Tom and the LS crew. I know the make-ups are rare and few and far between, but that (to me) is the joy in 'collecting' Aldens. Searching and finding that holy grail shoe. if they were easy to come by they wouldn't be as desirable... imo.

9. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

My vote and my wallet agree with these post.

10. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I don't know Tom so I can't and won't speak about him personally. I can only speak about their business model. The way they do business is their choice and I'm fine with that but don't expect me to try to buy from them. I choose to use other stores that sell Alden's. If LS is good for others then that's great. They do have some nice make-ups.

11. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

I don't know Tom, but I'm pretty sure he knows how to run his business. It seems that they reserve the good stuff for their local customers and repeat clientele. Keeps them coming back for more. It's the same across many luxury stores. Rolex and Panerai dealers save their good stuff for their repeat customers. The exclusivity of the item only increases its desirability.

12. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

THESE ARE BEAUTIFUL! This is coming from a guy who hates black shoes. I would definitely hop on a pre-order of these and wait the 12-18 months if need be.

13. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Me too.

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I seem to recall Tom specifically saying that they hate this question and won't answer it over the phone.
    For some one who wishes them well you sure seem butthurt and ranty about this.

15. booger

booger Senior member

When/how will they answer that question then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.