• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.michael

Reaction score

As I mentioned in my post I was willing to consider and purchase other 9.5e shoes from them but the salesperson was not willing to tell me what they had available in a 9.5e in other styles. All the other retailers I spoke with were willing to tell me what they had in stock. So they lost the money I spent at other retailers and possibly my future $$ as I used the lesson in "exclusivity" to buy shoes from other shops. I understand it's just business and they are looking to attract local clientele in Hawaii and Beverly Hills and perhaps the wealthy Japanese crowd. I would love to buy one of their makeups but when people ask me where to buy their Alden's I direct them to the local SF shop and the other stores I mentioned as they usually have something interesting in stock or readily available on order after a few months.
What's the point in making such an effort to maintain a beautiful online presence only to say you are not an online shop? What's the point in previously sponsoring a shoe thread on an online forum dedicated to Alden if one is not an online shop or at least willing to deal with a phone-in crowd? Given that LS always emphasizes "we are a brick and mortar shop", they lost out on my previous business. Again, nothing personal and no hard feelings on my part towards LS - ultimately it is a business transaction. I hope to do business with them in the future but will happily spend my money elsewhere until the opportunity comes along.

+1

Pastor

Reaction score

As I mentioned in my post I was willing to consider and purchase other 9.5e shoes from them but the salesperson was not willing to tell me what they had available in a 9.5e in other styles. All the other retailers I spoke with were willing to tell me what they had in stock. So they lost the money I spent at other retailers and possibly my future $$ as I used the lesson in "exclusivity" to buy shoes from other shops. I understand it's just business and they are looking to attract local clientele in Hawaii and Beverly Hills and perhaps the wealthy Japanese crowd. I would love to buy one of their makeups but when people ask me where to buy their Alden's I direct them to the local SF shop and the other stores I mentioned as they usually have something interesting in stock or readily available on order after a few months.
What's the point in making such an effort to maintain a beautiful online presence only to say you are not an online shop? What's the point in previously sponsoring a shoe thread on an online forum dedicated to Alden if one is not an online shop or at least willing to deal with a phone-in crowd? Given that LS always emphasizes "we are a brick and mortar shop", they lost out on my previous business. Again, nothing personal and no hard feelings on my part towards LS - ultimately it is a business transaction. I hope to do business with them in the future but will happily spend my money elsewhere until the opportunity comes along.

I couldn't agree with this more. I bought my first pair of Aldens in October of this year (2011). Since then I have purchased six pair and have two more pair on order that shoud ship this week. Of those I have Ravello WT boots, Ravello LWB (which I want to sell :D ), Cigar LWB, and Cigar Indys. I've bought zero from LS for the same reasons stated above. My purchases have been from J Crew, Epaulet, Shoemart, and the B&S here. I also agree with the poster that said he liked Leffot's approach better. It's first come first serve. They don't always advertise everything (like the #4 Atoms) but they are willing to at least sell them when you call in.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

anyone want to split a 32oz with me? if interested PM me
:embar: excuse me. Color 8? even better.

nephew,
thank you
i would hope in the future that the color of the shoe would be posted

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

uncle, in your experiences, have you found the Plaza last to crease more? IMO, the Plaza last, along with the Barrie last crease the most in the vamp area. Anyone else relate to this?

nephew,
i believe creasing relates to our feet

kippy

Reaction score

I couldn't agree with this more. I bought my first pair of Aldens in October of this year (2011). Since then I have purchased six pair and have two more pair on order that shoud ship this week. Of those I have Ravello WT boots, Ravello LWB (which I want to sell :D ), Cigar LWB, and Cigar Indys. I've bought zero from LS for the same reasons stated above. My purchases have been from J Crew, Epaulet, Shoemart, and the B&S here. I also agree with the poster that said he liked Leffot's approach better. It's first come first serve. They don't always advertise everything (like the #4 Atoms) but they are willing to at least sell them when you call in.

Pastor, curious about your rational for selling the Ravello LWB. I have been trying to figure out why Ravello looks so beautiful on some makeups and not others. Perhaps it is the edge trim and welt color? When ravello is paired with a light welt and antique edge trim it plays nicely with the orange-reddish hue. When ravello is paired with a dark welt and dark edge trim, it seems to clash a bit and makes the shoe appear darker. It seems strange that these two elements would transform a shoe so dramatically.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ogjihe.jpg

whiskey indy argyles otc

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fitchottie

Reaction score

I am waiting on my third pair of alden captoe boots from j crew. first one had a defect. second one had an even worse defect, and was worn. Third pair was supposed to come in a few weeks, but they misplaced my order so now i have to wait until april. At least now they gave me a pretty hefty discount for the having to wait. I went to the liquor store to see if maybe i could pick up a pair there and have them honor the price. they were willing to honor it, but when i inspected the boots i actually saw a chunk of leather missing from the upper. When I told the SA about the defect, he replied with, "well these are handmade so that just adds more to the charm." lol

I was in the same boat as you, I had 8 defective shoes out of the 6 i ordered...constantly getting more shoes sent, I ended up getting 60% plus more, off all the aldens I orders..... They also said they are handmade... which is bull ****, the quality should still be there... In the end I spent 900.oo dollars totals ish and got, Cordavan captoe, Indy, (3) long wings Black, Brown, Tab, and Plain toe boots... so the trouble was worth it since together that is over 3000.00 worth of shoes....

fitchottie

Reaction score

great find and thanks again for the headsup. For those interested, I picked up a 2 32oz tins. Looking to split each tin 4 ways, so 8 8oz plastic containers. Cost will be $9 shipped for an 8oz container. CONUS only. PM if interested.
1. Paid
2. Paid
3. Paid
4. Paid
5. Paid
6. Paid
7. Paid
8. Paid
list full.
Once you contact me, Ill give you my paypal info. Pay $9 by paypal "goods" and include your shipping address with your paypal info. Should be able to send these out next weekend after the tins arrive.

AT Fore Supply (1) 32oz jar is 14.82 plus 8 dollars shipping FYI

closerlook

Reaction score
LDENS FOR SALE

if anyone is interested I've posted some 7.5D-8D shell cordovan ALDEN shoes for sale in the men's clothing classified.

Pastor

Reaction score

Pastor, curious about your rational for selling the Ravello LWB. I have been trying to figure out why Ravello looks so beautiful on some makeups and not others. Perhaps it is the edge trim and welt color? When ravello is paired with a light welt and antique edge trim it plays nicely with the orange-reddish hue. When ravello is paired with a dark welt and dark edge trim, it seems to clash a bit and makes the shoe appear darker. It seems strange that these two elements would transform a shoe so dramatically.

Several things went into my decision to sell my Ravello LWB. I purchased these shoes from NYR a while back and i'll admit they they are a much lighter color than my Ravello WT boots. As I wore the shoes the lighter brown really grew on me. My problem is that I have a pair of LWB in Cigar that get a lot of wear and a pair in tobacco calf that get equally as much wear. Also, when I look in my closet I have a pair of #8 LWB and a pair of Sand Suede LWB from Epaulet. My wife asked me the other day, "how many long wings do you need"? Really I have more than enough without the Ravellos. Second factor was the fit. A 9 D fits me pretty snug and I have a pair of 9E (the #8's) that fit the best but the Ravellos are a little lose on me. Last factor is that I really wanted to make some more purchases. I ordered some Cigar Indy Boots with all eyelets and a pair of Grant Lasted Captoe boots in #8. I wanted to free up some funds in order to make these purchases.

Renton

Reaction score
After months of waiting, my new pair of whiskey lwb arrived from the shoemart. While looking over the shoes, I couldn't help but notice this:

Looks like these are heading back to CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads