***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIG WONG

BIG WONG Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ravello Chukkas. Time for the break in procedure.

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

This is true. My ideal size in Plaza may be to size down a half size and take an E width as opposed to TTS D width. IME, TTS D width plaza creases a lot. Much more than I would like for a "sleek" last

3. Trinitrogen Oxide

Trinitrogen Oxide Active Member

How often do Jcrew's sales accidentally include the Aldens?

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Your efforts have paid off handsomely. These are beautiful examples of a model that I particularly admire, and you've certainly got them looking great. Enjoy wearing them and what I'm sure will be the many admiring comments.

5. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

6. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Never

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

great find and thanks again for the headsup. For those interested, I picked up a 2 32oz tins. Looking to split each tin 4 ways, so 8 8oz plastic containers. Cost will be $9 shipped for an 8oz container. CONUS only. PM if interested.

1. Paid
    2. Paid
    3. Paid
    4. Paid
    5. Paid
    6. Paid
    7. Paid
    8. Paid
    list full.
    Once you contact me, Ill give you my paypal info. Pay $9 by paypal "goods" and include your shipping address with your paypal info. Should be able to send these out next weekend after the tins arrive.

list is full. if you didnt get an email, than you just missed the sign up. For those that paid, the venetian will go out next weekend. Look for a PM.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

8. kippy

kippy Senior member

Here is my impression as a relative new-comer to the Alden brand. I did my research and learned about the sizes, lasts, colors, welts, etc...and when I was ready to buy some shoes, I called Leathersoul first. I asked about a dozen different makeups from their online posts and none of them were in stock and they kept emphasizing they were not an online shop. When I asked "what sizes *do* you have in 9.5e", I couldn't even get a straight response. I realized that unless I was to catch them on a pre-order there would be no way to get any of their custom makeups in a new state. I understand now that their shop is mostly eye-candy for their brick and mortar business and given I live in the Bay Area it did not make sense to buy from them since I don't make it out to LA or Hawaii frequently. They seem to have cut down the pre-orders now as well.

I ended up purchasing at 3 pairs from Alden SF (Color #8 LWB, Cigar PTB and Cigar Chukka), 2 from Alden Madison Ave (Whiskey PTB, Whiskey Chukka), 1 from Shoemart (Ravello WT boot) and 1 from Context (Rough Roy black Chamois boot). I only had to wait for the the Ravello WT boot and the Whiskey Chukka but all the other shops had plenty of makeups in all the various special colors one would want.

I purchased a few non-shoe items from Steve at Leffot and found the customer service to be wonderful. I like the Leffot approach to size availability and would consider purchasing from them. Would I like to buy one of the LS makeups? Sure, but I have tempered my expectations. From where I sit, they lost out on $5K of my business. Why develop the relationship at all unless you are in Hawaii or LA? There are plenty of other shops with great inventories that make the sizes public, have special color makeups and can ship.

my two cents. nothing personal.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

9. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

last year the shoe mart sent out emails encouraging everyone to make purchases before the yearly price increase, basically framing it like a sale. i see they skipped that this time around.

10. CharlesT44

CharlesT44 Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend Leffot. I like his first come first serve approach, they make buying as simple as possible and fast shipping.

What is it that turned you onto Alden? Gerald Celente said that in a depression, people still spend money, but they shift there focus to a quality mentality. Also that more and more people will start taking some pride in their appearance/build a sense of style. That is what I attribute Alden's skyrocketing success over the past number of years.

11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

If everything you wanted to buy from them was already sold out, how do you figure they lost anything?

12. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

This is just speculation, but my guess as to why LS has decreased the frequency of their preorders is because Alden has essentially "blown up" over the past year or two, and wait times have soared - didn't someone post a few days back they were told the wait for a size 8E for a 403 boot (not exactly an uncommon model) was going to be in the neighborhood of 48 weeks?

I ordered through LS in 2010 and the wait then was about six months which actually went long from that and seemed like an eternity, so I can imagine an estimated delivery time of 48 weeks turning into 54 or 56 easily, and as a result I don't know if it's worth it to a business like LS, or their customers to do the preorders any longer.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

13. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

It's really a shame for those of us who have to wear an extra narrow width. I've essentially given up on purchasing the special make ups.

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

At the end of the day, each retailer gets a limited run of Alden shoes... These runs always tend to sell out. Brick and mortar retailers like Leather Soul and Leffot also carry a bunch of non-Alden lines (Edward Green, Crispin, Corthay, Rider, whatever) that are more expensive and less high frequency. It makes sense for these retailers to allocate Aldens to their "best customers" (especially if they are also buying MTO stores, always in the stores, etc) first. They are going to sell them all anyway. Some stores (Unionmade, Context) pretty much carry Alden as their top line, so they can just sell those online or on a first come first serve basis. The Alden stores themselves are in the same boat.

My strategy is to try to build a relationship with retailers. I have Leffot here in NY so I don't necessarily need to get to know the Leather Soul guys as well, but I try to buy a few things from the other stores so I am on their radar. My new shoes from Tassels are apparently out for delivery today (5 day service from Hong Kong, pretty sweet)

15. WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob Senior member

I picked up a pair of Indy 503's last year for 25% off and a pair of #8 Chukkas this year for 30% off from JCr in the Nov/Dec timeframe. Someone, who checks that sort of thing, must check, because they get removed model by model. It seemed like the lwb were not avail, then the LE black WTB, finally the #8 chukka and CTB plus suede chukka - not that I noticed or anything.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.