1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I would agree with the Rancourt suggestion. I have two pair of Rancourts (beefroll penny loafer and the ranger moc) and have been very pleased with them, especially as a slightly less expensive alternative to Alden. The crew at Rancourt has always been very quick at answering questions for me and guiding me into the correct size as well. I have seen it on the internet (so it must be true) that Alden's Cape Code Collection, like those posted above in the link to Unionmade are actually made by Rancourt so that might be one thing to consider. Another piece of food for thought is that Rancourt is generally pretty willing to do special make-ups for you so if you really like one of their shoes but want it on a different sole or maybe with different color stitching, that could be an option.

2. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I still can't get over the Navy Shell Beefrolls you posted in the Rancourt forum. so amazing.
    how are they treating you?

3. localman

localman Senior member

Just bought some tan unlined chukkas off the shoe mart irregulars list to replace the perfect ones I just returned due to the unsightly wrinkling on the heels. It's going to be interesting to see if these are in better condition than the first quality ones I just bought.
    I think stevent's statement is reckless and comes off as quite pompous. Why give all potential buyers a generally negative overall feeling about buying anything J.Crew secondhand or even BNIB? The boots I'm selling were purchased through the J.Crew website at full price. Thanks for generalizing every single person selling J.Crew as some kind of scamming, scheming, and just generally deplorable individual which seems to be OK so long as the buyer realizes that he's being ripped off. It's a nice hatchet job.

Instead of scarlet letters maybe anybody selling J.Crew can "have the black mark"? [​IMG]

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Doubt he meant to cause offense. Personally, I was wondering about the long lists of shoes/boots on offer in various sizes. I guess that could all be people trying to work out their Alden size. A popular and necessary activity, I suppose. I'm trying to hold off on buying Cigar PTBs or chukkas in 10.5E in the spirit of finding out if that's my best size. Really, why do I want to know? :)

Hope The Shoemart chukkas work out for you.

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

They are balmoral boots made from #8 shell from Horween. Got them from D.C. Lewis (they have an affiliated thread here on SF). They are nice high boots (a little higher than Alden's) and a dressier alternative to my Alden boots.

6. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Can anybody offer insight on how long it generally takes to receive an order from TSM?

7. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I'd wager that this depends largely on where you are located.
    I receive my orders the next day, but thats b/c I live one state away.

8. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I'm in Chicago and waiting on a pair of ravello chukkas is downright painful!

9. Therendition

Therendition Senior member

Those look great.

10. sazon

sazon Senior member

11. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

They are holding up superbly... in my closet.

Unfortunately, after that first day of wearing them, we have hit a bit of a cold snap and the weather hasn't really been what I like for wearing loafers.

:freeze:

Oh well... it should warm up again soon and I can hopefully put some of the boots and heavier shoes away for a few months and really get some more use out of the loafers.

Oddly, even though I've only been able to wear them once, I've been debating contacting Rancourt and inquiring about a second pair of shell loafers - this time as a two tone weltline penny loafer with a green cordovan strap and sides and then tan cordovan for the top... just what I need, another pair of shoes.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

i do! of course, with argyles

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

use overshoes- the best protection for leather shoes

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    good looking boots, enjoy wearing

15. GQ1

GQ1 Senior member

I have the exact same shoes and they're very well made and very comfortable. Highly recommended.

Please note, they run half a size big so order half size down from your regular size. All the best!

16. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

OK. Promise I'll stop replying to comments that are not on the topic of Alden, but I've been thinking almost the same thing the past few days, except it's the pinch penny in all green shell. I suppose this is the exact place where I'd expect to find a great mind thinking alike.

17. triumphman

triumphman Senior member

anyone know how florsheim shoes fit in regards to trubalance/barrie size?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  18. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

i've had the welts come and go, with honestly little extra effort to remove other than maybe the back of a spoon. i avoid wearing my shells in a downpour, but i don't shy away if the forecast calls for rain. also if you let droplets linger on the shoe the welts will be more likely to form.

19. plato

plato Senior member

Don't think I've seen bal boots by Alden before. Those look great. Are they Alden? Did you pick up a special make-up from somewhere in particular?

20. kippy

kippy Senior member

Are there any particular brands of overshoes that you would recommend?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.