***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Have you ever used Saphir Renovateur? Once you use that, you will need nothing else.

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I thank this thread for steering me clear of the collabs and just going straight for the good stuff.

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

J Crew more or less offers no questions asked returns; therefore they have lots of tried on merchandise, old merchandise, etc. They likely send this stuff to people ordering online. The best way to deal with J Crew is to go to the store and inspect the merchandise yourself.

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Rules from buying "brand" shoes from J Crew

1) inspect the shoes before buying
    2) focus on exclusive models

I have J Crew suede PTBs from Alden that I like; also, their chromexel longwings are also good. But try them out first

Edit - I will say I love the J Crew Quoddy models I have, all are superbly built

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011

5. 1wb

1wb Senior member

Thank you for that helpful insight. Like many here, my Alden collection numbers in the double digits, so I am fairly familiar with what I am buying. The point of my post, which was not clear, was that I expected to receive a beat-up pair of previously returned boots. Instead, I got new boots, albeit a pair that was nonetheless defective because it was dyed incorrectly. I have never seen a new pair of #8 in such a light red color - and that includes visits to Alden SF, NY & DC, Sherman Bros., J. Gilbert, and retailers in the Boston area.

6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

It's your perogative to return them and since it's J Crew it shouldn't be any problem at all, but I don't think they're defective.
    I got a pair of those J Crew boots too. Mine are defintiely lighter and redder than other #8s I have. But I think the color difference is well
    within the range of normal variance. I prefer the shade on my J Crew ones too. It seems as long as the pair match in shade, I wouldn't call them defective. Alden gets a lot of deserved crap about their quality control, but I don't think this is a case here.

7. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I feel like its been widely discussed how there's variance in all colors of shell that alden releases. (e.g. older cigar having a green cast to the more recent dark brown, darker whiskey that looks like a light ravello, lighter ravello that looks like whiskey...)

chalk it up to the nuances of a natural material and a man made process.

If you want uniformity get a black calf shoe made from corrected grain and call it a day.

8. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I've seen a few pair of very light bright purple #8's at the Alden shop in SF that look similar to your picture. They happily pulled out all their shoes in my size and let me pick the pair with my preferred color.

I probably wouldn't wear shoes whose color looks like your picture appears on my monitor.

9. vivalet

vivalet Senior member

Besides making sure your new shoes fit, what does this mac method do better than just wearing them?

Is the mac method to be applied even with a pair of shoes you know fit correctly and you will want to keep and wear? Or is this mac method purely to decide if you want to keep the shoes?

10. vivalet

vivalet Senior member

you have and eyelet above a speed hook? Never seen that before.

11. beatific

beatific Member

Hi Everyone

I just purchased my 2nd pair of Alden shells.

Its rather tight at the 'tongue' area. (i am not sure if its the right name)

Its quite painful.

Is it a good idea to use shoe stretching spray to loosen it?

[​IMG][/IMG]

12. beatific

beatific Member

A new purchase.

Anyone knows if its a good idea to use 'Shoe Stretching spray' to loosen Shell cordorvan?

[​IMG]

13. AAF-8AF

AAF-8AF Well-Known Member

No, I haven't. I was just getting to the point of finding some of that or Venetian when I ran across the Alden product. I'm happy with the results so far, so I'll probably stick with it. Here are the whiskey chukkas I used it on.

[​IMG]

14. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I don't usually make a habit of speaking for Mac - but I think it accomplishes a few goals:
    1) make sure the shoes fit you
    2) make sure the shoes don't have defects that you overlooked inadvertently at first
    3) break in the outsoles slightly, so that the toe of the shoe does not suffer heavy wear the first time they are worn out of doors. (I've witnessed this one firsthand).

15. seer

seer Senior member

Great all around look...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.