***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

In looking for black friday deals, I found these in my size at shoemart and could not resist getting them, even though they were full price. They are Ravello shell, bootmaker edition on Barrie Last. I am sad to hear of the steep price increase in Aldens even though I own enough already. I only hope that everyone involved in making the shoes are reaping the rewards of their popularity at this time and not just the head honchos. Anyways enjoy the pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Ya wow...no thanks. Allen Edmonds is looking a little tastier these days. I'll gladly pay $550 for an AE shell Leeds than $700-$800 for an Alden shell 990

I know everything has inflation and it has a lot to do with the demand...but man, there is some serious greed going on.

3. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

That is a beautiful boot. I guess if the price increase is that much for shell and calf I will not be getting too many more Aldens. With those prices it is not a far cry from some other well known makers that are on the market.

4. jet

jet Persian Bro

LOL @ annual price increase

5. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

That is exactly what it sounds like blue collar, I just hope with a price increase we might see more quality. I have yet to get a pair of Aldens that have not needed sent back for rework or have imperfections I just live with.

6. REguy

REguy Senior member

I find that kind of price increase hard to believe. However, if they do go that route, it's so long Alden...hello Carmina for me. With both shoes at the same price point, it's a no brainer.

7. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

LOL @ alden being trendy.

8. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

I think there was miscommunication. Aldens are not going up $100+. They are going up about 8%. Still a big increase but necessary due to increased costs of materials and labor.

9. Salad

Salad Senior member

Oh Alden, there was time when I couldn't wait to see what was next, when I needed to know what was next, and perhaps even have you. Late at night sometimes I'd open up a box and stare at the wave of your shell or run my finger over your brogue lines. What happened? I feel like I'm not a priority anymore, that your attentions are elsewhere, on other people and new collaborations. All things must come to an end and I feel like our relationship has come to that. If only I knew what those Jumpers felt like under me. That is my only regret. Oh well, change is inevitable and I must now embrace that change. I wish you well, Alden.

10. applky

applky Senior member

If this is the increase, then we're looking at around $650-750 for shell and $480-520 for calf, right?

11. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Probably best - you describe a relationship that could be characterized as, ahem, "unhealthy". :eek:

12. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

The retailers will have an increase of their profit margin proportionally, I suppose. The 8% does not all go to Middleborough. More like 4~5%, I think.

Stopped by the San Francisco Alden Shop the other day. They got some nice #8 wingtip boots and Ravello LWBs. Nothing super special, but still quite desirable.

BTW, those AE MTO limited edition walnut shells are NICE. Got to see the floor samples at the AE shop, which is just a couple of blocks from the Alden shop. The color is somewhere between Whiskey and Ravello, but leaning on the lighter side. The best thing is that they are taking orders at a discount (actually cheaper than the equivalent AE in Burgundy/#8).

13. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Are those online anywhere? I'd like to check 'em out.

EDIT - You must mean these?:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF0131_1_40000000001_-1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

14. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

Yes. AE site. You can order those online. I was told by the sales associate that orders are taken till the 13th. No sure if that means they are on sale till the 13th or they will close the order by then.

15. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I guess they are by special order only.

I think I'm going to order those! That's a good price for Cordovan.

I notice if you add it to your cart, they are including a free scarf with it currently too.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.