***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Leffot just dropped another great make-up. Love the antique edge-trim, and the double waterlock soles are a great addition.

[​IMG]

2. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

Two statements of fact; however, if you are implying the latter because of the former, I think you are mistaken.

Darker dyes make hide coloration less noticeable. A uniform hide is desirable for producing natural and lighter shades of shell.

It's been acknowledged that the lighter shell colours (whiskey, ravello, cigar) from Alden as of late have been shades darker than what they were producing several years ago. Speculation is that they are having difficulty sourcing quality hides to produce the lighter shades and are compensating by using darker dyes.

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

1) The stitching blends in over time
    2) Don't try to hide it intentionally. The stitching aspect on Indy boots tends to get a lot of compliments

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Cigar has gotten darker and better (the old cigar had a greenish hue which was unattractive IMO); Whiskey seems to fluctuate (the Epaulet whiskey longwings from earlier this year were very light). Ravello seems pretty constant to me

5. tropics

tropics Senior member

speaking of cigar...

[​IMG]

6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Excellent pickup. I've owned these for six or seven years now and even had them refurbished once. First pair of Aldens, actually. It's a very solid shoe, though far from Alden's most spectacular model I suppose. I think you'll get a lot of comfortable wear out of them. I've been cleaning mine and treating them with Montana pitch blend recently. Darkens the leather just a little, but keeps them looking good in my opinion. I'll try to post next time I clean them up. Enjoy.

7. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Agreed. Hoping they don't have 10.5E, which I imagine they won't. If they do, I'll have to get them.

8. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

Yes, if we have a shipment of less than usual quality leather we soak our gun holsters in oils longer, antique it, or dye it black. The company could just have changed their ingredients when they tanned the leather. Many supplier are going out of business so they may have new suppliers.
    Maybe their supplier upped the price of their usual chemicals so they had to go with something cheaper so as not to pass on the cost to retailers.

9. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

That is a beautiful shoe. I am hoping they might have a 6D. I still have not purchased my Christmas present, so these would look great wrapped under my tree and then on my feet.

10. Akeem

Akeem Senior member

I was never a fan of color 8 shell footwear. I think the contrast antique soles have changed my perception a bit. The recent color 8 shell runs from epaulet, unionmade, and now leffot all look really good.

11. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

My #8 chukka's that I have had for less than a year are dark as well. I don't have any others to compare with them but based upon the many pictures that I have seen, they are darker than what I had expected.

12. applky

applky Senior member

The lighter and antiqued edgetrim for #8 footwear is crucial. The only makeups where I like the darker edgetrim is if you're going for a very dressy shoe.

13. WhatAboutBob

WhatAboutBob Senior member

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I saw the longwings at Leffot a few weeks ago, honestly I was surprised by the black longwing, it looks great.

15. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Ya, at closer inspection the black longwings appear to have a regular welt, rather than the "reverse" goodyear welt that just about all the other longwings have. Makes them look a little sleeker. And the red lining was a nice addition as well, although, only the wearer really gets to appreciate knowing it's in there, haha.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.