• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leffot just dropped another great make-up. Love the antique edge-trim, and the double waterlock soles are a great addition.

PeterParker

Reaction score

Shell colors vary based on individual hide coloration. The cigar we've seen recently has been darker than the cigar coming out of Horween/Alden from even a year ago.

Two statements of fact; however, if you are implying the latter because of the former, I think you are mistaken.

Darker dyes make hide coloration less noticeable. A uniform hide is desirable for producing natural and lighter shades of shell.

It's been acknowledged that the lighter shell colours (whiskey, ravello, cigar) from Alden as of late have been shades darker than what they were producing several years ago. Speculation is that they are having difficulty sourcing quality hides to produce the lighter shades and are compensating by using darker dyes.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any advice on cleaning up the stitching?

1) The stitching blends in over time
2) Don't try to hide it intentionally. The stitching aspect on Indy boots tends to get a lot of compliments

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two statements of fact; however, if you are implying the latter because of the former, I think you are mistaken.
Darker dyes make hide coloration less noticeable. A uniform hide is desirable for producing natural and lighter shades of shell.
It's been acknowledged that the lighter shell colours (whiskey, ravello, cigar) from Alden as of late have been shades darker than what they were producing several years ago. Speculation is that they are having difficulty sourcing quality hides to produce the lighter shades and are compensating by using darker dyes.

Cigar has gotten darker and better (the old cigar had a greenish hue which was unattractive IMO); Whiskey seems to fluctuate (the Epaulet whiskey longwings from earlier this year were very light). Ravello seems pretty constant to me

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thrifted these yesterday, Alden Cape Cod Collection, Mocc Oxford in Mahogony. Below is with new laces and creme and polish. There are a couple of loose stitches that need to be addressed.

Excellent pickup. I've owned these for six or seven years now and even had them refurbished once. First pair of Aldens, actually. It's a very solid shoe, though far from Alden's most spectacular model I suppose. I think you'll get a lot of comfortable wear out of them. I've been cleaning mine and treating them with Montana pitch blend recently. Darkens the leather just a little, but keeps them looking good in my opinion. I'll try to post next time I clean them up. Enjoy.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Leffot just dropped another great make-up. Love the antique edge-trim, and the double waterlock soles are a great addition.

Agreed. Hoping they don't have 10.5E, which I imagine they won't. If they do, I'll have to get them.

i10casual

Reaction score
Yes, if we have a shipment of less than usual quality leather we soak our gun holsters in oils longer, antique it, or dye it black. The company could just have changed their ingredients when they tanned the leather. Many supplier are going out of business so they may have new suppliers.
Maybe their supplier upped the price of their usual chemicals so they had to go with something cheaper so as not to pass on the cost to retailers.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That is a beautiful shoe. I am hoping they might have a 6D. I still have not purchased my Christmas present, so these would look great wrapped under my tree and then on my feet.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was never a fan of color 8 shell footwear. I think the contrast antique soles have changed my perception a bit. The recent color 8 shell runs from epaulet, unionmade, and now leffot all look really good.

LynahFaithful

Reaction score

Cigar has gotten darker and better (the old cigar had a greenish hue which was unattractive IMO); Whiskey seems to fluctuate (the Epaulet whiskey longwings from earlier this year were very light). Ravello seems pretty constant to me

My #8 chukka's that I have had for less than a year are dark as well. I don't have any others to compare with them but based upon the many pictures that I have seen, they are darker than what I had expected.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was never a fan of color 8 shell footwear. I think the contrast antique soles have changed my perception a bit. The recent color 8 shell runs from epaulet, unionmade, and now leffot all look really good.

The lighter and antiqued edgetrim for #8 footwear is crucial. The only makeups where I like the darker edgetrim is if you're going for a very dressy shoe.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw the longwings at Leffot a few weeks ago, honestly I was surprised by the black longwing, it looks great.

Man with Apple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw the longwings at Leffot a few weeks ago, honestly I was surprised by the black longwing, it looks great.

Ya, at closer inspection the black longwings appear to have a regular welt, rather than the "reverse" goodyear welt that just about all the other longwings have. Makes them look a little sleeker. And the red lining was a nice addition as well, although, only the wearer really gets to appreciate knowing it's in there, haha.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads