***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

I've never had the impression that Aldens were "off the shelf" products; perhaps the staples of the 975 (#8 longwing) and 990 (#8 PTB) would be readily available from retailers (LS included), but I have assumed that any of the special makeups are made in small runs - say 24 pairs, that's ~2 pairs per size from 6-11D. Quantities of rare shells are likely even fewer.

Factor in that a lot of these retailers operate on pre-orders, which means a pair of each (common) size is probably spoken for upon delivery. That leaves one pair up for grabs upon receipt. If it's stunning a makeup, a walk-in customer will probably add it to his order along with his ACs and EGs. Suddenly it's not so hard to conceive that the makeup is no longer available in your size by the time someone has posted a photo on the internet...

Acquiring Aldens requires patience. I bet that if you have a certain style in mind, you can call up any reputable retailer and ask what they have in the pipeline. If your timing is right, you can probably get in on the pre-order, which have lead times of at least 6 months (more like 12 months these days). If you want Aldens from a warehouse, try J. Crew, but apparently even they are selling out.

For a pretty archaic company, Alden seems to have the concept of lean manufacturing down.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

2. seer

seer Senior member

Does anyone know what Tobacco Chamois leather is and how you care for it? Does anyone have boots/shoes with this leather. How do you like it. I certainly like the way it looks.

3. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

4. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

5. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

^ Looks awesome PIJ....I really need to get my hands on a pair of those.

6. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Those look great!

7. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Is there any store selling Cigar Indy boots with a commando sole? Leffot has some on order but all the 9D's are spoken for. Shoemart is out of stock and i'm not sure when they will be back in stock. Alden in NYC has Cigar Indys but they are not commando so that's a deal killer for me.

8. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Try checking J. Gilbert. I believe they have them on order but don't know when they are due in.

9. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

And me. Color 8 ends up on my feet about half the time, much more than its proportional share of my shoe collection! It is just such a versatile and beautiful material for shoes.

10. NotClever

NotClever Senior member

Yeah, I was just curious for the reason why. I wonder if it's a limitation on shell supply or a limitation on skilled labor capacity, as it seems that increasing production if at all possible would be lucrative for them.

11. TWorksheets

TWorksheets Senior member

I have a pair of the Tobacco Reverse Chamois Summer Oxfords from Blackbird. They looked great out of the box, but the nap of the leather has become somewhat ragged looking over time. On a straight up suede shoe, a good suede brush can make the leather look good as new. I've not had the same results using such brushes on the Chamois, and I don't know what else you would use to clean 'em up. Obviously this is part of the charm, and I've received more compliments on them than any other shoe I own, but I would not buy another pair.

12. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

#8 LWB. A day after mac methoding, plus a little pinch of saphir renovateur. that stuff is awesome! never used it before....

[​IMG]

13. poena

poena Senior member

curious what kinds of socks you guys are wearing with the different boots?

If I'm wearing anything other than thin dress socks in the Jcrew indy's and Jcrew plain toe boots they are pretty snug. Definitely can't be wearing medium thickness socks

14. seer

seer Senior member

thanks tw...

15. Patito

Patito Member

I believe there is a difference between tobacco chamois and reverse tobacco chamois, but someone more informed should confirm. It is interesting to hear the reverse gets a bit ragged. From all that I've seen, the regular tobacco chamois can take a real beating. Namor hikes in a pair, if I recall. I believe tobacco chamois is also called oiled nubuck in some circles. There is much more information about this other name on the internet. If they are, in fact, one and the same, you might read up on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.