***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

hey guys do you think i will be able to fit in a aberdeen last in 8c if im wearing alden indy in trublance last in 7.5d?

2. seer

seer Senior member

I'm about to invest in a new pair of dress boot. Either cap toe or wing tip - I'm either going to get calf leather or cordovan. But I have never owned cordovan - I know how to live with and care for regular leather but I'm a little worried about living with and caring for with cordovan. It will be a big expense.

Any thoughts or experiences will be helpful. Do creases bother you? The changing hue over time? I'm looking into color 8.

PS - I mentioned this before. My father owned two pair of cordovan shoes, one he used for formal settings and one he used for his job. He was a short haul truck driver (in and out a lot in all kinds of weather) and those work shoes last 30+ years. Is cordovan really that robust?

3. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

So no luck with Alden, I ordered from Jcrew the Cordovan Captoe and the plain toe boot.... I get both and both have what i consider defects... The cordovan had orange peel and white haze over the entire left boot, and the plain toe boot had sole edge dressing over the rear of the left shoe and up the sides... I shit you not it looks like some one drew up the side with a black magic marker..... Oh and to top it off I find out there is no way in hell a Barrier last fits the same as a truebalance... I wear an 11.5d in true balance and the 11.5d Barrier was squeezing my foot to death, but funny thing is the Cordovan felt looser than the plain toe..... so off they went back to Jcrew.... However, I had a pair of 11.5 waxed long wings on waitlist for 12/10/11 but decided to get the 12 which they had in stock and don't ya know they gave me 25% off twice, they honored the first price of 363.00 from the first sale and since they changed the order and since this is my third pair I am returning for defects she gave me another 25% off... making it 291.00 with shipping.... Oh yea... now if these don't fit..... I am returning them and sticking with Truebalance.....But I hope they do fit since Jcrew honors this price for 7 days that means I can cope the Brown and Black longwings for the same price of 291.00...:embar:

4. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

I Actually prefer calf, Cordovan felt weird and squeeking..... but it could just be me.

5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

You will need Aberdeen 7.5E or 8D

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Yeah, they look nice

7. applky

applky Senior member

No problem.

[​IMG]

Carmina double monk all the way. No contest.

Yes. Pre-treat your clean, new suede always with Meltonian Suede Protector (this product is also marketed to work on nubuck). It will darken your suede very slightly but after a few wears, and exposure to sun, they leather will regain its original color. This won't entirely protect from raw denim transfer, though -- just partially. If you cuff your raw denim then you will also lessen dye transfer, as the hem will not be rubbing against the shoe.

8. seer

seer Senior member

That's the kind of feed back that I need - thanks...

9. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

Alright guys.. got some width sizing questions.. If im a true us 8 d(i supposed)

I wear the trubulance last at 7.5d...
    what size should i go for this few last... grant, van,plaza and barrie ?

Im thinking..correct me if im wrong..
    barrie: 7.5d
    grant:8d
    plaza:8d
    van:8d

10. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

If you're hesitating about getting cordovan because it will be a hassle or a big expense to care for, then you have nothing to worry about. Cordovan is very easy to care for, just follow the Mac Method and you're golden.

11. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

My experience is the Barrier has a higher instep, so if the circumfrence of your foot is greater the 10.75 for a true to size 12 it is going to feel tight.... I would imagine that you would go true to size so 8d...

12. tropics

tropics Senior member

any... they are not going to be lasted so who gives a sh*t

13. roboterkampf

roboterkampf Active Member

Wearing my Indy 405s to work today since it's raining in Baltimore. These have been my trusty bad weather/adverse conditions footwear since 2003, and were my first pair of Alden shoes. I've taken them to Japan and back three times, now - super dependable and good for all-day travel. (always take an extra pair of laces - when you are on the other side of the world and your laces snap against a speed hook in a restaurant you're leaving, you're effed). Man, there's nothing like your first pair.

[​IMG]

14. seer

seer Senior member

Do you own cordovans? This may sound strange - but how are they to live with? When you are out and you look down at your shoes - what do you think? Are you pleased? How does the leather feel after they are broken in? Thanks...

15. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

Absolutely agreed, except that the steel shank always sets off the airport metal detectors which is mildly frustrating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.