Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

interesting. so instead of using a dry cloth, use a pantyhose? or should I use a cloth and then also a pantyhose? ill give it a try

2. mens gaga

mens gaga Well-Known Member

Use pantyhose after use waste cloth.

Use pantyhose to finish usual care.
    Apply cream or wax using waste cloth and then polish using pantyhose.

3. mens gaga

Do you use water when do you polish toe and heel using wax??

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

yes,

I use a damp cloth. mac Method:

1) Clean shoe with damp cloth
    2) Brush with horsehair brush
    3) Buff with smooth cloth

5. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

You guys dont use wax polish for shell cordovan(like #8/ ravello)? or you guys use cream polish?

pardon my noobness

6. mens gaga

I do my job now.
    I'll send you PM later.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

"paste wax"

8. applky

applky Senior member

Always thought the naked bottom eyelets looked odd on that one, but you wear it well. Love it in the narrow width. Ha -- 12B, did Steven stock that? You must have preordered.

General rule is paste wax for shell, and then a combination of cream polish and wax for calf, depending on one's taste. Personally on fine leathers with a lot of character -- meaning shell and CXL -- I use no polish whatsoever, just conditioners and moisturizers. I highly recommend this method to anyone favoring a natural patina on their footwear.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

9. applky

applky Senior member

I realize that I often advocate for no polish on leathers with a lot of character, but rarely post the results (at least not in this thread). To that end, here are a few pictures of my stock 403s that I gave my usual treatment to recently. Real life color is slightly more burgundy -- only a phone camera with indoor light for these pics. Click to enlarge:

[​IMG]

Shined 403s. Dirty carpet not included with method.

[​IMG]

Another member had asked for darkened pictures of the Indy toe to see how stitching evolved. Keep in mind, neither wax nor cream polish have ever been used on these 403s. Indys that have had regular coats of polish have darker stitching still. But they would not have the natural, almost mottled coloration you can begin to see in the toe. (In reality, this antique look is present elsewhere around the boot as well, but it's very difficult to show with just a phone camera.)

[​IMG]

Stock laces recently replaced with Alden's standard flat waxed boot laces, courtesy of the Madison Ave store.

[​IMG]

This picture came out terribly, but after a long day of wear, my Ravello Brixtons also needed some no-polish polishing. The Ravello Brixtons have also been treated with no polish, only conditioners. The side of the boot, which is a solid piece of Ravello shell cordovan, is beginning after a year to show signs of its equine origins. Again, very difficult to capture with a phone camera, but the sides are beginning to reveal the animal's natural mottled coloration and grain variation -- all the while staying perfectly moisturized and shined, of course.

(Don't worry Mac, the Ravello was much more shined even when I took the pic. The lighting on the Ravello was bad.)

I'm sure if I hadn't been tired and had brushed longer, as I usually to, they would look even better.

10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Sorry they didn't work for you Pastor. These are fantastic shoes in a rare size and shell...shouldn't be here long.

11. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

Do you have any more pictures of those natural indys? Thinking about snaggin a pair from Leffot.
    [/quote]

not at the moment, but I think they are pretty self explanitory and steven's pics are pretty good. as to another comment on them, they are 270 regurlar welt, both here and on the leffot site.

12. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I really like the shoes a lot and would not be disappointed if I kept them. I already have LWB shells in cigar and #8 so these just don't get a lot of wear. I also have the tobacco LWB from J Crew and the sand suede from epaulet so I have enough LWBs to let a pair go. I really want to try and free up some funds for another shell purchase.

13. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I just went through the same with my whiskey LWBs. Sold em to buy the Carmina's I got yesterday at Epaulet. Anything in particular you're looking to get?

14. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

So I know it's been talked about, but, is there consensus for the best place to get replacement boot laces?

15. advan031

advan031 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.