***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I've added the color 8 chukka to my cart a dozen times over the last couple of days. I've wanted them for so long and they never go on sale. There is just no reason to not buy this boot for ~$200 off. I just don't feel right buying myself something like this at xmas...seems selfish...however they won't be 30% off after xmas...hmmm

2. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

good looking tankers, enjoy wearing, welcome to the forum

4. tangential

tangential Senior member

^ Those look great! Where from?

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

enjoy wearing your good looking boot, use break in method

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  6. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I don't comprehend why you would feel bad. If you have the means to do so...do it! I've been buying a lot of stuff for the past month and I never regret any of it.

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello full strap
    argyles otc

8. applky

applky Senior member

Sorry I meant brown Chromexcel Indys with commando sole.

Yes, no speed hooks. I believe I've called for that myself on more than one occasion.

In any case, my understanding of the Alden special make up program is that no two special make ups were supposed to be alike -- to preserve the various shoes' exclusivity, presumably -- but either that's a misunderstanding or, in a cosmic sense, Alden doesn't care. Or a combination of both. Regardless, they're both amazing boots, and now that I've been disabused of my notion that special makeups are unique to individual retailers, I have to say that it's a crying shame if both Epaulet and Unionmade don't sell out more or less immediately of their #8 wingtip boots. They're terrific. I've always thought the Barrie last had to, in some original incarnation, be a boot-specific last, and every Barrie-lasted boot I see seems to confirm that suspicion.

In short, dear Alden retailers: please make everything with natural edgetrim and no speed hooks. Sincerely yours, teh forumz. (JK my stock 403s would be bizarre with antiqued edgetrim and no speed hooks.)

Speaking of 403s -- over the course of my life and times with my 403s (stock brown Chromexcel Indys), the white stitching on the toe and the welt have both darkened significantly. I do not apply polish to my Chromexcel -- only neutral boot cream and conditioners -- but I imagine if I did, the stitching would have turned tonal. The white stitching alone shouldn't turn you off of the 403s, I think.

9. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I get where you're coming from, and went through a similar dilemma, but realized no one on my list is missing out if I get something nice for myself this season. I just landed a nice contract and shit, they're 30% off and sometimes you just need to treat yo self.

plus, and I know this isn't going to make your decision any easier, but I was able to walk into the mens store at copley after work today and have them honor the 30% off in store. (i bring this up because I think you're in boston)

thanks to those who chimed in earlier. i chose the captoe boot and its amazing. Although, after now seeing pics of Alcibiades Cigar caps I am kinda jealous...

Now I just need to see pics of Chorizos B Nelson recraft with the commandos on these bad larry's!

10. mens gaga

mens gaga Well-Known Member

Deleted​

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  11. REguy

REguy Senior member

Hmm, I tried this during another sale and got shot down by a SA at that store. They stuck to their guns about how the sale only applies to J. Crew branded merch. What's your secret?

12. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

fake aldens from vietnam :D

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i would pay to see gaga and mac in a cordovan cage match

14. hkpm

hkpm Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.