***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. applky

applky Senior member

Yes, it's a beautiful boot. It's even better in person. If you like those chukkas, you should know that a standard Alden stock model is a navy suede Barrie PTB on a single flexwelt sole (they also do a stock model in snuff suede). Most Alden stores have them. I know that Tom at LS stocks them in the summer. I'm sure if you're interested you could pick one up now in your size, if you wear a D width.

Re the navy suede longwing: As far as I know two Alden stockists have regular special makeups of that shoe. One is Leffot. Theirs is (naturally) sold out, but a redelivery is estimated for mid-2012; perhaps it's worth calling to reserve a pair. The other is Frans Boone. They currently have 10D and 11.5D available, if either of those happen to work for you. If I were you, I would see if you could snag a pair of Leffot's, because the waterloc sole is better than the red rubber sole to my mind, and you're really not going to wear a suede oxford anytime soon if you live in a place with a harsh winter.

http://leffot.com/2011/06/15/navy-suede-longwings/

http://www.fransboonestore.com/en/store/brands/alden/alden-x-fransboone-blue-suede-longwing.html

Happy hunting!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

2. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

$560 for blue suede longwings (and higher if you're EU)? I don't care how much Elvis liked his, I just can't justify that price point for suede. :)

3. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

What are people's thoughts on the Grant last?
    How are you sizing them? For reference I am an 8D in the Aberdeen & Hampton and a 7.5D in Barrie & Truebalance.

When I wear my Indy boots I wear boot socks. For captoe and wingtip boots are you guys just wearing dress socks?

4. JPFNY5

JPFNY5 Senior member

I appreciate your input. I would really love to see a navy shell cordovan similar to some of those trickers

5. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

Unusual to see identical "special makeups" from two different retailers; case in point being the "Halleck" from Unionmade and the "Brixton Boot" from Epaulet.

6. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

Boots are available online at Allen Edmonds site under "Boots", bottom of page. Just ordered a pair. An early Christmas gift to myself!

7. applky

applky Senior member

Agreed.

Very unusual. Poor form on Unionmade's part, in my opinion, as Epaulet had already staked out the shell wingtip boot all eyelet with natural edgetrim makeup pretty thoroughly for at least a year. Of course, I like Unionmade very much, but am biased toward Epaulet for various reasons (they're the local joint for me), so perhaps it's all a matter of perspective.

Generally speaking, though, my understanding is that it's Alden's policy not to allow one retailer's special makeups to be sold at another retailer. That's why you only see Chromexcel Indys with a commando sole at Leather Soul -- because it's their makeup.

(If this starts a flamewar, I vow only to post in the flamewar drunk.)

EDIT: It is conceivable that the salient difference between the two is the light sole on Epaulet's #8 Brixton and the antique coloring on the sole/edgetrim of Unionmade's Halleck. In the world of Aldens, after all, minute differences mean everything.

One half size down from TTS. TTS I am a 10.5D, which is my Aberdeen and Hampton size. I can wear either a 10.5C or 10D in Barrie and Trubalance (prefer the 10.5C for looks), and wear a 10D in the Grant. I have not tried a 10.5C in the Grant -- have never seen a C width Grant. You will probably do well with a 7.5D in the Grant.

This being said, some people do wear the Grant TTS (8D in your case). Boots are pretty forgiving, but if your sizing is one half size too large the creasing will look odd and it probably won't fit very well. Is your 7.5D Barrie/Trubalance fit comfortable, or roomy? If so I would take a 7.5D in the Grant.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

When I ordered Grant captoe boots from Alden DC, I was told either go up a half a size or one width from Barrie. I decided to go up a width - I will let you know how they fit when I get them

9. PeterParker

PeterParker Senior member

You mean like this?: http://leffot.com/2011/11/25/alden-x-leffot-natural-cxl/
    (I think it's actually the 270 degree reverse welt/commando sole combination that makes an "Ultimate Indy")

It seems preposterous that Alden would grant any particular retailer exclusive rights to the design of a shoe. There are only so many permutations with the available options that compromises would need to be made to a design for fear of stepping on another retailer's toes (pun intended).

10. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

Yup, bought those from Leffot.

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks for all the input. That link is very interesting. Much appreciated.

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I think it looks good.

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Gunner, what last are your Atoms on

I think Alden should make a lot more of this shoe.

14. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

realizing that the jcrew promo will work on the cordo captoes and chukkas I'm thinking nows a great time to get either one of these staples.
    Since my alden collection is meager (by SF standards), consisting of a PTB, longwing, all weather walker and tanker boot, I'm wondering which one will give me more use.
    anyone who has either (or both) care to chime in?

15. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

The captoe boot by far.
    At least for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.