• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great boots! I ordered their last pair of 10Ds yesterday. Does anyone know what to use on this type of leather to water proof and condition?

Ahhhhhh, that was you who got the last 10D. I had it in my cart and hesitated....

Enjoy them. If you decide you don't want them, let me know.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neoprene cork or commando sole questions:
- which has better durability?
- which is better for a wet climates?

The neocork sole is astonishingly durable, but it's not going to grip as well as the commando sole. Still, I find that it grips well enough for the northeast U.S. that a commando sole has been unnecessary for me. Unlike some, I don't wear nice shoes in truly foul weather, and instead just have a pair of Chippewas with a Vibram sole for when mother nature is angry. The rest of the time, double leather and neocork soles actually work fine.

Depends on where you live, I suppose.

Last edited:

shaunw

Reaction score

I'm definitely no expert, but the commando should be better in wet conditions and should be more durable, BUT I have indys with both of these soles and find that the neo-cork is definitely more comfortable to wear and lighter in weight

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The neocork sole is astonishingly durable, but it's not going to grip as well as the commando sole. Still, I find that it grips well enough for the northeast U.S. that a commando sole has been unnecessary for me. Unlike some, I don't wear nice shoes in truly foul weather, and instead just have a pair of Chippewas with a Vibram sole for when mother nature is angry. The rest of the time, double leather and neocork soles actually work fine.

Depends on where you live, I suppose.

Neoprene sole is good enough for 'wet' road. Not good enough for use in Minnesota where mother nature constantly tries to kill you.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neoprene sole is good enough for 'wet' road. Not good enough for use in Minnesota where mother nature constantly tries to kill you.

East Coasters who ***** about how L.L.Bean and Lands End are ****** quality and disposable have never braved a midwestern winter. Everything you own gets destroyed.

In other words, my recommendation is UGGs.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just spoke with Kathy at Alden DC to order the Cigar cap toe boots. I must say, customer service over the phone was great. I look forward to future orders with her. I'll throw up some pics when I get them. These are going to be my default wet weather boot for during the week...

these have a commando sole, right? I'm starting to think it was a really bad idea to not get these...I really need a nice cordovan cap toe boot with a commando sole. I don't own anything like that so it would fill a huge gap for me. Looking forward to pics of these when you get them!

rosenkruez

Reaction score

new kicks from JCrew, not too bad for $354.38.......I was a little suprised to have then show up in a white JCrew bux as opposed to the usual green Alden box. Whats up with that?

I just got mine today. They came in the green Alden box with shoebags. Now I really need to think about which one I want more between standard 405 and J crew Indy.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Tobacco LWBs from J. Crew also came in a regular J. Crew box. My Red Wings from J. Crew also came in the aforementioned box. Both were bought at retail FYI.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

these have a commando sole, right? I'm starting to think it was a really bad idea to not get these...I really need a nice cordovan cap toe boot with a commando sole. I don't own anything like that so it would fill a huge gap for me. Looking forward to pics of these when you get them!

I got these from another member. Not that I have to deal with terribly inclement weather, but I figure a pair with the commando sole is good to have.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

East Coasters who ***** about how L.L.Bean and Lands End are ****** quality and disposable have never braved a midwestern winter. Everything you own gets destroyed.

In other words, my recommendation is UGGs.

one of these things is not like the other

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

seer

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh, that was you who got the last 10D. I had it in my cart and hesitated....
Enjoy them. If you decide you don't want them, let me know.

Hehe, yeah I called Sunday and they had one pair left, I called back Tuesday and they still had them. I can't wait to get them - should have them today. I saw the "natural" color boots in person at Shoe Mart, I really like them but I also wanted commando soles - for all the hiking I do.

seer

Reaction score

I'm not a rich man so my shoes have to have dual use. Go from the office to church to the woods. And the fact that I live in New England. I'm now the proud owner of two pair of Aldens (though one is still on the way, they are boots). Both will have commando soles. I purchased my first pair of Alden a few weeks back from Shoe Mart (they were in the sale room). They were a deep burgundy pebble grain oxford - they already have a number of hiking miles on them. They clean up nicely and when you are standing you could hardly tell that they have commando soles.

Last edited:

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ravello boot
a6934f1d-7434-27e6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads