***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sazon

sazon Senior member

Ahhhhhh, that was you who got the last 10D. I had it in my cart and hesitated....

Enjoy them. If you decide you don't want them, let me know.

2. applky

applky Senior member

The neocork sole is astonishingly durable, but it's not going to grip as well as the commando sole. Still, I find that it grips well enough for the northeast U.S. that a commando sole has been unnecessary for me. Unlike some, I don't wear nice shoes in truly foul weather, and instead just have a pair of Chippewas with a Vibram sole for when mother nature is angry. The rest of the time, double leather and neocork soles actually work fine.

Depends on where you live, I suppose.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

3. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

I'm definitely no expert, but the commando should be better in wet conditions and should be more durable, BUT I have indys with both of these soles and find that the neo-cork is definitely more comfortable to wear and lighter in weight

4. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

Neoprene sole is good enough for 'wet' road. Not good enough for use in Minnesota where mother nature constantly tries to kill you.

5. applky

applky Senior member

East Coasters who bitch about how L.L.Bean and Lands End are shitty quality and disposable have never braved a midwestern winter. Everything you own gets destroyed.

In other words, my recommendation is UGGs.

6. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

these have a commando sole, right? I'm starting to think it was a really bad idea to not get these...I really need a nice cordovan cap toe boot with a commando sole. I don't own anything like that so it would fill a huge gap for me. Looking forward to pics of these when you get them!

7. rosenkruez

rosenkruez Senior member

I just got mine today. They came in the green Alden box with shoebags. Now I really need to think about which one I want more between standard 405 and J crew Indy.

8. wj4

wj4 Senior member

My Tobacco LWBs from J. Crew also came in a regular J. Crew box. My Red Wings from J. Crew also came in the aforementioned box. Both were bought at retail FYI.

9. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

I got these from another member. Not that I have to deal with terribly inclement weather, but I figure a pair with the commando sole is good to have.

10. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

one of these things is not like the other

11. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

you know that could easily be right, but it will probably take a good bit of time for the entire supply chain to get in place from living horse to Horween

would be interested to hear Nick H. thoughts on this.

12. mens gaga

mens gaga Well-Known Member

Deleted​

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011

13. seer

seer Senior member

Hehe, yeah I called Sunday and they had one pair left, I called back Tuesday and they still had them. I can't wait to get them - should have them today. I saw the "natural" color boots in person at Shoe Mart, I really like them but I also wanted commando soles - for all the hiking I do.

14. seer

seer Senior member

I'm not a rich man so my shoes have to have dual use. Go from the office to church to the woods. And the fact that I live in New England. I'm now the proud owner of two pair of Aldens (though one is still on the way, they are boots). Both will have commando soles. I purchased my first pair of Alden a few weeks back from Shoe Mart (they were in the sale room). They were a deep burgundy pebble grain oxford - they already have a number of hiking miles on them. They clean up nicely and when you are standing you could hardly tell that they have commando soles.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

15. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.