1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. advan031

advan031 Senior member

is this from Leffot? It looks great!!!

Just an observation regarding how some of you tie your boots much looser than I do...am I getting the wrong width size shoes? kinda weird.

2. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Senior member

Some like 'em tight, some like 'em loose

3. sazon

sazon Senior member

For Ravello Tuesday:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  4. furo

furo Senior member

+1^^^ Now that's how ravello's done - best pic so far today imo

Is that the Day Tripper boot that I asked about earlier today? You're a lucky SOB! I want those fo sho

5. furo

furo Senior member

Also wish I could get a pair of these, but they're only international at the moment, going for $772 ... a bit pricey for a non-baller like myself

[​IMG]

6. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Yeah, mine look the same except the welt stitching is brown and the storm guard (or whatever you call it) is ravello instead of black. Both are attractive shoes, just a bit different I guess. I think I prefer mine tho :D

[​IMG]

7. pikachoo

pikachoo Senior member

yea those are from Leffot... depends on how you like em really.. sometimes i tie them tight to get that ankle-wrap look

yes those are the day tripper.. thanks lol

8. ambivalence

ambivalence Senior member

Ohh im in love with ravello more right now... Might just reserved that day tripper from leffot.. Is that boot versatile enough to match suits, chinos and jeans?

9. furo

furo Senior member

big time, and it's the reason I want

10. sellran

sellran Senior member

I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but was inspired by the emphasis on ravello today. One of these shoes is whiskey and one is ravello. Guess which is which? In person there is virtually no difference.

[​IMG]

11. HorseHide

HorseHide Senior member

Daystripper? Wasn't that RKD's gig before Big Law (or have I got my blogs all crossed again)?

12. pikachoo

pikachoo Senior member

left whiskey, right ravello??

an aged pair of ravello can look really similar to whiskey!

13. sellran

sellran Senior member

You are right, the LWB is whiskey and the boot is ravello. But you are wrong about the aging. The whiskey is older and the ravello is fresh from Alden via Shoemart (a special size I had to wait for).

14. phototristan

I guess Whiskey darkens with age? Not sure what Ravello does as it ages. Would be interesting if it lightened. Then you could have the same shoes eventually.

15. sellran

sellran Senior member

It happened so slowly I didn't notice the whiskey getting darker (if it did). When the ravello came I started to wonder if my long wings were ravello and I had been remembering them wrong (or if a salesman had sold me ravello after I went into the store asking for whiskey..... I could have easily been fooled). The two were exactly the same color. But I checked the number inside the shoes and they are definitely whiskey.

16. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

i need ravello in my life.

17. phototristan

Interesting. I've seen new Ravello right next to new Whiskey and the Whiskey was definitely ligther and more yellow than the Ravello.

18. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

Gentlemen, I could use some advice: I am considering a pair of Alden's on the Van last, but admit I have no idea how they fit, except for them fitting one half size larger than normal. My question is: are they generally comfortable? I realize that with shoe fits YMMV; I am just looking for general impressions. FWIW, I wear a size 9D on the Trubalance last.
    Thanks -

19. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Unless your camera flash is seriously distorting the color of the ravello, I would consider sending that boot back. I understand whiskey and ravello can often look similar, but that ravello looks nothing like the three pair I have owned.

EDIT - If you like the color of the boot, great, but if was ordering a ravello boot, I would want the red/orange undertones present in the shoe, which your pair of boots seems to have none of

20. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

1) Versatility. Many Alden shoes (particularly longwings, PTBs, tassel loafers) can be worn both with a suit and with jeans credibily. Certain other high end shoe models (Edward Green double monks, for example) can also do this credibly, but for the most part, other high end shoes look stranger with jeans than Alden shoes look with suits.

2) Unique leathers. I only own Alden shoes in cordovan (which is hard to get from other makers), suede (which Alden does an awesome job with) and special cow leathers (chromexel, Indy cowhide, etc). These leathers offer unique qualities not readily found in other shoes/boots. For "normal calfskin," I go with other brands.

3) Unique makeups from retailers. I can mosey on down to Leffot and find a unique, head turning makeup every couple of weeks. Other brands are just offering stock shoes or MTOs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.