***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Thanks guys...the trousers are the Epaulet Donegals...they are absolutely sick, soft and comfy, with the just the rick amount of speckled coloration.

2. electronicsjunkie

electronicsjunkie Active Member

which Alden chukkas?
    I'm interested in Alden suede chukkas and would appreciate any opinions on which variety people are most satisfied with, in terms of both comfort and looks. Lined vs unlined? Leather sole vs lug sole?

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

:fu: seconds list showed a size 11.5, FD-4065 boot but when I called they said they dont have it. Was a glitch in the system :(

4. scb

scb Senior member

what's the return policy for alden-dc? exchange only, or like alden sf where they do full refunds?

5. laughter95

laughter95 Senior member

i've had the unlined suede chukkas for 2 years now. the rubber on the heels have gotten to the point that i need to replace them. cobbler said it'd cost me 23 bucks. :/

i like them a lot. they're super comfortable, and can be worn at work, to the bar/club/casual walk, etc.

they are w/out the lug sole. don't add that sole if you want to keep the versatility.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Here are the aforementioned beaten up on #8 Ultimate Jumpers. With the Epaulet Navy Donegals, I think the colors are so great together...
    [​IMG]

nephew,
    your boots need the mac method

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello lhs
    argyles otc

8. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Second time in a row where i'll called shoemart to order a pair of seconds and both times the shoes were sold. I called literally less than 30 seconds after I got the email. I wonder how much time passes between the time the first email goes out and the time I get my email?

9. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

Depends on the speed of their mailing list server and how many people are on it. I have a mailing list for my business with about 5000 people on it and theres about a 5-10 minute gap between the start and end of the list going out. I imagine theirs is much larger

10. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

for some reason they have 2 of my email addresses so I get multiple copies of the same size. my 2 emails today were 56 minutes apart. and I highly doubt that is the most extreme difference.

11. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Does anyone use Obenauf's on their Aldens? If so, how is it? Does it darken the leather a lot? Also, I read the Russell article in the Obenauf's thread and it said that putting oil on leather sole will preserve the life. Does anyone actually do this?

My Aldens don't get worn often, and for cleaning I just use AE leather continer and neutral wax after that. If the Obenauf's stuff works well, I may switch.

12. Renalan

Renalan Senior member

Can anyone comment on the width difference between D and E? I got fitted in a 7.5E Barrie today, but I have a pair of Indys and PTBs in 8D that work width wise, but may be slightly long.

A lot of their wingtip boots don't come in E widths and I was wondering if it was even worth it to try 7.5D.

13. zissou

zissou Senior member

wj4- Are you referring to Obenauf's LP? If so, it usually darkens leather at first, but it lightens back up. I can barely tell the difference with natural leather after a day or so. I use it on my Red Wing GTs, even on the exposed leather parts of the soles. It'll definitely keep the water from soaking into the leather if you apply it to the soles. It might also make them a little slippery, though. As always, test it on an inconspicuous spot first.

14. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Yes, Zis. I read the thread that was posted in this sub-forum and I'm tempted to order it. Unlike most, I don't want my leathers to get darkened. As I thought with the application of the sole, it would get slippery, haha.

15. blank

blank Senior member

Regarding the J. Crew Plain Toe boots, may I ask for advice about sizing? How do they fit?

For the only references, I wear an 11.5D in my Allen-Edmonds Clifton and a 44 in my Common Projects Tournaments.

Additionally, I once owned a pair of Alden suede chukkas. They were sized 10E or 10.5E and though I thought they fit when trying them on at the Alden store in NYC, the right shoe ended up with awkward fit, so I had to sell them.

Do I take an 11 or 11.5 in the plain toes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.