Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

+1. Look like cigar. All cordo Indys used to be machine stitched until ~2 years ago.....

2. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Thanks! What's the break-in method? These fit like a glove! Plaza last is outstanding.

3. themagicwislon

themagicwislon New Member

Hi, Im a long time lurker and this is my first post. I had a pair of Indys for a couple of years before I sold them to put towards my round the world trip. Well, 5 months in and Ive arrived in LA armed with my credit card and on the hunt for some new shoes. I do regret selling the Indys hence why I may buy some more. Being from the UK, its a good opportunity to try on and also save in shipping etc.

The issue that I have is my 10.5Ds appeared to fit well but the uppers/stays? would actually meet when I laced them up. The lacing looked a bit narrow. I was considering options for boots and Ifound that a couple of other makers would have me down as a B or C width but never a D. Now, I really want some Cigar Indys from NY but am staying on the West Coast so could get a pair sent over but no trying on.

Im sure there is an element of dumbness to my question but if the upper/stays meet when i lace the boots, does this mean they are too wide even if the boot appeared to fit fine otherwise? Maybe I have a low arch? This is a bit of a deal breaker for me as if I could gert away with the D width again then my options for the Indys and also LWBs are a bit healthier.

Any views much appreciated,

Thanks

4. Renalan

Renalan Senior member

So I'm looking to replace a pair of CJ Shortwing Bluchers that didn't fit right with a pair of Aldens? I see that it's not a typical model, anyone got eyes on a retailer doing a collab that has them right now?

5. REguy

REguy Senior member

The whiskey NSTs are impressive, although prices are becoming :fu:. I'm not that old, but I remember buying my first pair of Aldens for $230 and thought I needed my head examined! I'm sure in another few years I'll be reminiscing over the good old days when $700 was a relative bargain. Enough with the kvetching. On to a couple recent acquisitions...

[​IMG]

6. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Those look great. I have a pair of Tankers in #8 on their way to me from Context. After placing the pre-order in August, I got the shipping notice today. They seem to be arriving a few weeks earlier than estimated.

I don't plan on hitting the stores on Black Friday, but the stores will be coming to me... I have that order and some items coming from Filson. It will be a nice day here. :slayer:

7. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

thanks its my favorite indy. can`t find it on shoemart though.

8. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

WOW shit i want :(

9. zissou

zissou Senior member

how would you guys compare the plantation crepe sole to double oak leather? I'm guessing the crepe is considerably more comfortable?

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

11. Sui Generis

Sui Generis Well-Known Member

12. trunks206

trunks206 Senior member

Good god! If these weren't made on the blobby truebalance last, nobody other than me would be getting a gift this Christmas.

If another shop makes these on the Grant last I couldn't give them my money fast enough.

13. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Agreed. From the side those look great - from the front, they look awful.

14. rosenkruez

rosenkruez Senior member

Alden shoes at J crew now 25% off. Just ordered a pair of J crew indy. I know they are not the original indy design but I'll take it for 367 dollars.
    Then again, it's only 70 dollars difference w/ regular indy 405 so we'll see which one I'll keep.

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

so true. Its become a crapshoot. You really dont know what you are going to get.

+1. Reminds me of the Seinfeld "two face" episode

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.