• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quicksilverXP

Reaction score

LOL, these boots look significantly better than they do even on display in stores. J Crew has (I believe) had this plain toe boot in their mens stores for a while, but the boots on display always appear to be worn, scuffed, etc and didn't look all that appealing. Honestly I am going to take a look at a version out of the box this weekend on the strength of these pics.

Hey guys,

Just purchased those Jcrew Plain Toe boots in tan with 25% off in a size 8. These are my first Aldens... although I tried on a pair of Alden Indy's and a pair of Bucks on the barrie last, both in size 8.5, and both were really long and roomy in the toe. I figure an 8 would work well considering the half size down rule. I wear a size 8 in Red Wing Iron Rangers and Wolverine 1000 Miles.

Can anyone tell me if an 8 would work in these plain toes as well? It's yet to ship, so maybe I have a chance to exchange it for an 8.5 if need be.

Thanks.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys,
Just purchased those Jcrew Plain Toe boots in tan with 25% off in a size 8. These are my first Aldens... although I tried on a pair of Alden Indy's and a pair of Bucks on the barrie last, both in size 8.5, and both were really long and roomy in the toe. I figure an 8 would work well considering the half size down rule. I wear a size 8 in Red Wing Iron Rangers and Wolverine 1000 Miles.
Can anyone tell me if an 8 would work in these plain toes as well? It's yet to ship, so maybe I have a chance to exchange it for an 8.5 if need be.
Thanks.

Sounds like they should. I wear an 8D in Indy's on the Barrie last and own these plain toe's in an 8D and fit is spot on for both dressier socks and thicker socks.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't consider those boots because I thought they'd be too dressy with jeans. Boy, was I wrong.

I wear my #8 cap toe with jeans all the time.

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on, rub it in a little more :(

Seriously, though, I'd rather have them without speed laces.

Last edited:

rosenkruez

Reaction score
People w J crew Plain toe boots,
Do any of you have any issue with the sharp leather on the ankle part? Indy or other boots seem to have another layer of leather sewn on top of the lining leather but these don't and they are bit of pain, literally.
I know they look good but I'm debating whether I should keep these. On top of the ankle issue, I'm not a big fan of leather soles so I'd have to put another outsole on the front. (traction issues)
And recent purchase of Indy on top of this pair adds up to a lot of money...

poena

Reaction score
i've never tried on Aldens. Could someone give me a little guidance on what sizing I should try so next time i can jump on the jcrew sale?

For reference my AE strands are a 8EEE. What would I need in an Indy boot?

Thanks

FENWAY

Reaction score

i've never tried on Aldens. Could someone give me a little guidance on what sizing I should try so next time i can jump on the jcrew sale?
Thanks

Good chance Crew won't have the width you need. Check out an Alden retailer and get properly fitted to be sure

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Come on, rub it in a little more :(
Seriously, though, I'd rather have them without speed laces.

I am ggrowing to hate Alden speed lacing more every day.
If I did not already own a pair of Ultimate Indy's I would urge Tom to do a makeup without speed lacing. I think the commando sole and non-speed lacing would separate him from J Crew and all of the other Johnny Come Lately retailers. I am tempted to contact Johnny Come Lately and get pricing for a better speed lacing system or having eyelets installed. My advice with Alden's is to wait for exactly what you want. Do not settle as the makeup you want should come up soon enough.

Also and update on the Kiwi laces: Indestructible but come untied all the time. I need a thinner nylon lace.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks

I own a pair of AE Strands, and it's a pretty narrow last compared to the barrie-lasted Aldens you are likely to find at J Crew...there's a chance you may be able to squeeze into an 8D to get the width you need, but the shoe may be too long.

I see you live in Baltimore - go check out Samuel Parker Clothiers and try some on...the owner there is a good guy and will help you out with sizing.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah how much is it to replace speed lacing with eyelets? price is prob not the issue but waiting for alden to send them back :(

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yes, they will. Last I checked they charge $12 per eyelet, so a typical Alden boot with speed hooks would cost $96 plus shipping (that's $12 x 8 eyelets).

N.B. that I have not done this nor seen the results. If anyone has had this done, it would be useful to see what the finished boot looks like. But if I would trust anyone to do this, it would be B. Nelson.

EDIT: Ahab I actually think Alden will do it if they are already repairing the lacing system on the boot.

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like the rivets for the speed laces sit farther from the edge of the leather than the eyelets do, so it might look a little funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics