***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Thats crazy! I could not agree less. I have indys and 1000 miles. I think the quality of the Wolverines is sub par for the price they charge. They are unlined, single leather sole and the heel is ready to fall off. Every time I put my foot in them I wish i had used the money i spent on those for a pair of aldens. IMHO

2. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

blue collar, just noticed that quote in your sig and its priceless. now i have more justification when buying exp shoes :slayer:

3. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

4. wj4

wj4 Senior member

If you want to compare CXL to CXL, then choose to compare them with CXL Alden boots.

I also disagree. When I was looking for rugged boots to beat around in the foul weather, I considered the 1000 Miles boots. The quality and the price was not justifiable for me.

5. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Very nice. What's the last and model? First time I see oxfords being posted in here as oppose to bluchers.

6. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I have the 1000 Mile boots too and I'd have to say that they are just acceptable. The Chromexcel is nice, and I don't mind the single sole, but they do seem a little pricey for what they turn out to be. In retrospect, I bet I would have been happier with a pair of Indys. On the other hand, I'm not afraid to wear the Wolverines wherever.

7. Islander

Islander Senior member

8. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Thanks guys. This was the kind of feedback I was looking for. With respect to the color on the plain toes, they're identical to the shade my whiskey indys have turned, which i like. I just figured I better hop on them, since the trubalance last is my favorite. I didn't have any beef with the fit - found them comparable to my indys - but on the fence about the leather itself. Don't get me wrong...it's nice. But I can't decide whether they stand out next to my shell indys, reverse chamois indys and CXL pairs enough to justify keeping them.

Pretty sure I am going to pass on the wingtip boots. Got a pair of those and accidentally ordered TWO pairs of the plaintoes anyways (didn't pay attention to quantity in shopping cart), so at least one of the plainttoes has to go regardless. Got all of the above with the 25% and free shipping, so if anyone wants a pair in 9D that missed out, happy to pass on the savings to you rather than return them to J Crew. If interested, PM me.

9. zissou

zissou Senior member

You should definitely put the extras up on B&S here before returning them. I bet some guys would be happy to buy them.

Wait, so you have at least three pairs of Indys as well?? :happy: In that case, I wonder if the plain toes would get much use. Then again, they could be for those days when you don't want to beat up your Indys.

10. applky

applky Senior member

Unlined ≠ bad. Also the heel on my Indys has needed replacement several times. They're obviously not as well made as Indys, but just from the leather quality standpoint -- non-CXL Alden calf is just sort of boring. So even though perhaps the construction isn't quite as up to par, the 1000 miles are a fantastic choice for a "budget" CXL boot, which, I would argue, beats out a non-CXL Alden boot like the J Crew plain toes. (EDIT: I have also seen the J Crew plain toes in person as well.)

I think the idea that the 1000 miles are rugged and for foul weather is misguided. They're rugged and foul in a sort of urban sense. I do not own them, but if I did I'd wear them like I would Indys. And honestly whatever last Wolverine is using looks way better than the Trubalance.

That being said, I love my 403s and am glad I chose them over the 1000 miles. I just feel as though unless you're getting CXL or shell on a pair of Aldens, the quality of Alden's regular non-CXL calf is middling enough that it seems worth being open-minded and considering other options.

My compromise has been a pair of 403s that I wear very often, and then a pair of Chippewas for snow/torrential rain/mud/etc.

And then, obviously, ravello boots, etc, for whenever.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  11. rosenkruez

rosenkruez Senior member

I'm not a leather expert but they look good. I prefer the indy leather, though. The only issue I'm having is how the leather is cut on the ankle part of the boots. They are too sharp and hurt my ankle even through socks.

[​IMG]

12. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Rosenkruz, could you post a couple more pics of those boots? I'm tempted by them but just unsure of the shape. The colour looks great.

13. rosenkruez

rosenkruez Senior member

I only have indoor lighting pics but here they are.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd say the last fit pic shows the true color.

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ looks great. you wear them well

15. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Thanks for the pictures - those look awesome. I'm always iffy on Jcrew website pictures but yours really show off how nice the boot is! Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.