1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kram6136

kram6136 Well-Known Member

Yes, I was a bit afraid of the LWB and the PTB being too similar if both are in #8. So the AF53 #8 boot might be better. The only thing that worries me with that is the Tru-balance last. I've already got two Indy boots on that last, and I wonder if it might look too wide in plain toe shell.

2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

J. Gilbert has a plain toe #8 in the Plaza which has a different profile ('sleeker') profile than the TruBalance.

3. advan031

advan031 Senior member

[​IMG]

maiden voyage... Alden x Leffot LWB Color 8 w/ antique edge trim.

1 person likes this.
  4. sahbryant

sahbryant Senior member

i picked up the cigar bal from shoe mart - i'm concerned with the way the welt appears near the heel - does not flow seamlessly - is this a defect?

[​IMG]

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Not really a defect, it's just Alden does not always cleanly cut the welt to the point that it is flush. I am still amazed at how nicely the welts are done on my Tricker's country boots compared to those of Alden's. However, the latter has the advantage of shell.

6. maxusone

maxusone Member

The sun came out today so I had to capture my #8 monks..

Picture in the sun:
    [​IMG]

In normal light:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. maxusone

maxusone Member

deleted

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  8. kram6136

They do look nice in the photos. I've never tried on anything on the Plaza last, so I'm not sure of the size though. Safe to assume that if 8.5D fits well in Tru-balance and Barrie, I'd need a 9D in Plaza?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  9. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

No, this is normal for Aldens. The transition to a closed heel welt is pretty rough on every closed-heel Alden I've ever owned. That's part of the reason I prefer their 360 degree welts, not to mention that I just think their last shapes generally go better with a welt all the way around.

That is correct. I wear an 8.5D in Barrie (though an 8D in Trubalance- that last is just really wide in the heel for me), and I wear 9D in Plaza.

10. kram6136

Thanks, great! I should try to get on the preorder list for the May/June delivery. The Plaza last #8 boots do look very elegant in the toe box.

11. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

12. cloudshift

cloudshift Senior member

Good stuff.

13. Costa

Costa Senior member

I have a question that has been perplexing me for about 2 months. I have a pair of Alden Shell Chukka's I bought at the Tannery in Boston. I went there to try them on. I usually take an 11, tried on the 10.5's (knew from reading here to size down 1/2 size). When I tried on the 10.5's, I was swimming in them, they had no 10's, so I took a leap of faith and had them send me a pair of 10's to my home. They fit like a charm. Fantastic, been wearing since last fall.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and I decided that I would buy a pair of cap toe shell boots from J Crew via online. Chukka's are Barrie last, as are these Cap toes. Received them, did the Mac rug method for a few hours every week to make sure. Just was not sure, they felt tight, but the tipping point for me was the Barrie last Chukka's that fit so well.

Long story short, they don't fit, they are just too small in the toe box. I have worn them about 5 times (mostly shorter days in the office, to break them in), and I need to part with them. Its breaking my heart, I love these shoes.

I thought when a last fit, you go with it. I do it with AE's, and its worked perfect. I am determined to get a pair of these boots, but know I don't know which way to go size-wise. I'm afraid that the 10.5's will be too big, and at over $600 a whack, this could get costly.

Can anyone shed any light on why these two shoes on the same last do not fit the same? I know there are a lot of talk about the Barrie last, but the Chukka's fit great on that last. Why do the Barrie lasted Chukka's fit? I just need some input before I dive back in.

Also, if anyone is interested, I need to part with these. Less than half ($300) a good starting point? Came with bags as well. I don't really buy or sell here, mainly just read. Again, thanks for any/all input!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

[​IMG]
    Alden x Leather Soul * 2
    (shell #8 on left, shell black on the right)

(And for posterity, I wear a 10.5 in chucks, and I wear a 10.5 in these, the truebalance last)

15. lummers13

lummers13 Well-Known Member

Awesome. Those are the Jumpers no? I'm hoping to get a captoe color 8 for my next pair. Just deciding on either the grant 4060 or the J.Crew on barrie.

16. ninja07

ninja07 Senior member

beautiful shoes!

17. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Thanks! You can never go wrong with cigar it's a versatile color.

18. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Great looking LWB, enjoy wearing them.

19. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

if I were in your position, I would also consider the possibility of a captoe boot on barrie (something like the J Crew jumper boots, or the Unionmade Kirkwood boot with commando sole), OR the classic 1339 shell chukka in #8 (though from personal experience I found the shell chukka to be a bit blobby compared to lace up boots in the same last and size). in any case you have a great collection already so don't rush to get anything that is not 100% what you want.

20. kram6136

Great advice (not to rush if not 100%), thanks! Cap toe boots look great, but I have always had painful experiences with cap toes. I've tried many brands and sizes, but always wind up with pain on my instep or on top of my big toe knuckle where the cap ends. I've given up on them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.