Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spencer

Spencer Senior member

What watches are you thinking of?

Not as versed as many of you in Aldens (only own 2 pair :uhoh: ) but I am a WIS (watch idiot savant)

2. Teger

Teger Senior member

i have 4 pairs of aldens and maybe 20 pairs of shoes total. don't have to worry about s/o because she's worse.

3. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

5. zissou

zissou Senior member

I think the plain toe boots would be great every day boots for fall. From what I can tell, they look like Indys, but with a double oak sole and plain toe. Personally, I've never liked the stitching on Indys.
    I have a pair of the black shell boots myself. I've been wanting a pair of black wingtip boots for ages, preferably in shell. I just wish these had a commando sole, but I can always add one in the future :)

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

check my blog

7. zissou

zissou Senior member

I'm walking around the house for the first time in my new black shell WT boots, convinced that I'd just wear them straight out of the box. That is, until I noticed that a little bit of that one crease was off compared to the other, and a bit of that crease over there overlapped the brogueing a little differently than on the other foot. So, I grabbed one of my daughter's pink sparkly Bic pens, and just 'moved' the creasing around just a touch here and there. Result- nearly perfectly symmetrical creasing that is natural to my feet.

My two cents on the process- Don't use a pen to set the creases in shell before you've even walked in the shoes. Just slowly start walking around and see where the creases start to set. Then sit down in a chair and flex both feet equally with only your toes touching the floor. If there is a little asymmetry, just use a round pen a bit like a tiny rolling pin to get the little creases in just the right spots.

As a disclaimer, if you try this and 'screw up' your own shoes, it sure as hell ain't my fault. Do it at your own risk.

I'll probably do this a couple more times to be sure before I wear them for a day. I'm waiting on some more shoe trees anyway, so why not?

8. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Rolex GMT II and Panerai 000. I will probably use my tax return to buy the PAM and buy myself the Rolex around Winter of 2012 as a graduation present.

9. wj4

wj4 Senior member

You, sir, just added another pair to my list. Now I have to update my "purchase plan" Excel spreadsheet. :embar:

10. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

Did this to my new unlined chukkas while opening the refrigerator door at my buddy's place tonight:

[​IMG]

Not a suede expert by any means so what, if anything, can I do to get rid of these scratches? Will a suede brush get rid of them or do I need some kind of cleaner + brush? I'm starting to think I'm too much of a klutz for any kind of suede shoes. :embar:

11. rosenkruez

rosenkruez Senior member

[​IMG]

Got the J Crew plain toe today. Comparison w my indy 405.
    It's funny how they fit about the same because the indy is 11.5 and the j crew one is 12.

12. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

^ Agree on the fit, run a touch smaller than the Indy. Thoughts on the leather?

13. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I really like those J. Crew plain toes and am kicking myself for not getting a pair when they were running the last discount code last week.

14. applky

applky Senior member

This is probably heresy for the Alden thread, but as far as plain toe leather boots go, I actually think the Wolverine 1000 Miles are slightly better than those J Crew plain toes.

Maybe an unfair comparison -- Chromexcel always wins in my book.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

15. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

You should be able to brush those out with a suede brush, though those scratches don't seem too bad. Suede can take more of a beating than people realize. I have a pair of suede Church's desert boots that I've had for about three years and it's only been in the past six or nine months that I've been able to kind of relax when they get some rain or dew from grass on them or scratched or a bit of dirt, as I've found most if it comes out with a bit of brushing, and what doesn't just makes them look worn, used, and loved.

Don't beat your boots/shoes up intentionally, but don't beat yourself up if they get scuffs, scratches, or other marks. In 10 years they'll be one of many stories that you'll think of when you look down at them on your feet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.