1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seer

seer Senior member

We know his point though, thanks S...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. kram6136

kram6136 Well-Known Member

^
    I have a pair of those Black & Tans from Epaulet, and the Horween Pegasus leather is really nice, soft but strong. It seems to do well in a bit of rain as well (post-Obenauf LP). Enjoy!

3. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

Excellent to know!! I'll make sure to prep them - thanks!

4. kram6136

By the way, unlike in the photos on the Epaulet website which show standard Indy outsoles, my Black & Tans came with black cork neoprene outsoles, which I really like. How about yours?

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

has there been a 'black & tan' style (black leather upper, natural endging, and black neocork) indy boot but made in a Barrie last?

6. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

no, I check the stores that get special makes ups regularly and the Barrie lasted "indy" boots are pretty new and scarce. I wouldn't be surprised though if more shops do a make up with that combo

7. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

do you know if he had any commando soles where the lugs didn't reach all the way to the edge? I wonder if he could order something like

[​IMG]

I think thats a nice balance of practicality + looks.

8. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

mine, too - they should arrive by next Friday, can't wait!

9. Sui Generis

Sui Generis Well-Known Member

Alden SF had some when I stopped in a couple of months ago.

10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

There's a shoemaker in my hood who has a bunch of books, and you can basically pick out the sole you want. Not sure how good he is, I've never used him, but if he's got it (little Korean Dry Cleaner/Shoe Repairman) I'm sure a place like BNelson can do that.

11. drinkonlyscotch

drinkonlyscotch Member

Does anyone know why J. Crew dropped the "Alden for J. Crew" section from their site? Just yesterday there were over a dozen Alden makes available and today only one remains.

12. warrenjl1

warrenjl1 Senior member

Probably has something to do with the current promotion on orders over $150. I think they took down all the third party goods for the duration of the sale. I'm sure you can still call in an order for them.

13. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

14. Simplicio

Simplicio Senior member

Nick V is the man to ask. I think he does have a a number of options. I went with his recommendation on the boots that you show. I like them a lot, but he could also do something different. But I don't believe that they can obtain the same commando soles that Alden uses.

15. Tororo

Tororo Active Member

Hi guys, first time Style Forum poster, and my apologies for bringing up a boring sizing question again. I did use the search, but I still don't have piece of mind about this: I am close to purchasing my first pair of Aldens, i.e. the Chukka boot on a Barrie last (D width). The thing is, I'll have to pay a lot of shipping to have them sent to Japan, and also pay 30% import taxes, so I really want to get the size right the first time.

I understand that I will have to size down the for the Barrie last. But I am still not sure if I should size down a half or full size. Could you anyone give me some recommendation about this? My "usual" shoe size is US12. My feet (with socks) measure to 11.5" length and 4.1" width.

Here are some of my current shoes that I own and fit well:

Yuketen Country Ranger US 11.5
    Tricker's Woodstock (Country Last) UK10.5, Width 5 (they fit lengthwise, but I have to pull the laces really tight to fight slippage)
    Vans Authentic US12

...as you see, I have to size down on roomy shoes like the Tricker's Country last. But will I have to go a full size down to US for the Alden Barrie last? I'd rather have the Chukka fit a little on the tight side than having any slippage.

Any help is appreciated. I wish I could just walk into a store here in Tokyo and try on my size, but as far as I know, you can't find sizes over US9 anywhere here.

Cheers
    Tororo

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  16. mfluder

mfluder Active Member

I'm a US11.5, and take: US 11.5 on Plaza, Hampton, Leydon US 11 on Barrie UK 10 on Trickers Country lasts (have the same problem as you length is good, but the have way to much volume above the foot) So US 11.5 Barrie should be right for you!

17. kram6136

[​IMG]

Left to right: #8 LWB, Ravello PTB, Alden + Epaulet Officer's Indy, Alden + Epaulet Black & Tan Indy.

Not sure what my next acquisition should be, but considering AF53 boots (#8, plain toe, commando sole) from Alden of Carmel. Or maybe just a #8 PTB? The ones posted above are beautiful.

18. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Welcome to SF and nice looking collection. I'd recommend something in whiskey or cigar, maybe a LHS. [​IMG] Whiskey, #8, ravello

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  19. MiniW

MiniW Senior member

I own both the LWB and PTB, since they are on the same last and are both blucher style, if you are wearing them for casual purposes only you may find that they are somewhat similar when compared side by side. If you are deciding on a boot or a PTB, I would recommend a boot, especially if there is a model you like that in stock in your size as that is less often the case.

20. kram6136

Beautiful LHS collection! Yes, something in Cigar might be the ticket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.