***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Yeah I've been buying way too much stuff lately.
    But the #8 captoes are kind of a push for me since I'm returning the RL cordovan tassels I bought last week.

3. brozek

brozek Senior member

I just ordered a pair of snuff suede captoe boots last night - literally, four hours before the sale started. It turns out they're one of the only two pairs of Aldens (with the Indy boots) that J.Crew marked as sold out - the discount seems to work with every other pair on the site. Armed with that fact, I called customer service tonight to ask for a price adjustment. The first person said she couldn't "because all third-party items are excluded due to agreements with the manufacturers". She wouldn't believe me that the discount worked on every other pair of Aldens, so I asked for a supervisor. She clearly wasn't happy about it, but she gave me the retroactive discount. Thanks for doing the right thing (eventually), J.Crew!

4. zissou

zissou Senior member

^Funny! I opened the email this morning and was amazed that there was no disclaimer excluding certain brands.

5. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Got the Alden Indy 403 today.

So - before this I've tried a number of Alden boots (all cordovan) and they never worked for me. I've gravitated to C&J and Carminas as my next option. To me the Alden lasts I have tried - from Barrie to Plaza - have always been uniformly, erm, round and 'non-sleek', and I wondered what the brouhaha was all about.

Well, now I know. There are many caveats - for example I think the ebay seller may have pulled a fast one in terms of the sole - no f*cking way these are "5 or 6 wears". I may get a resole soon, and I may have overpaid given the sole condition. :fu:

But in the end- the boot is amazing. In fact, in it's category, I think it is a classic bit of Americana, something that I feel privileged to own. Amazing color on the chromexcel, very comfortable fitting boot, looks and feels tough. An finally, this is for me important, the Indy is neither blobby nor 'forced', and like it's more 'elegant' counterparts in dress shoes such as EG or Lobbs, it just dominates its space.

There are no pics- not my style, although I love pics provided by other peeps. I still don't 'get' the other Alden shell boots, but I 'get; the Indy, oh yeah.

Using this icon for the first time:

:worship:

Since this is SF, need to quickly move one from the praise. So, in terms of resoling, what do the experts recommend - stay as is, resole with the same options, go with a commando sole or something else? Thankee.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

6. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

are the soles that bad? you could just wear them or add shoe taps if your worried of it really wearing down. no real use in wasting money to resole unless the soles actually need repairing

7. TheWalrus

TheWalrus Member

[​IMG]

What's up captoe buddy!

Hopefully those will still be around the next time there is some sort of sale.

8. PipersSon

PipersSon Senior member

Yeah that's prolly what I'll end up doing.

9. cloudshift

cloudshift Senior member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011

10. pokey07

pokey07 Senior member

Ah, I see. I might order these from J.Crew anyway. I've fallen in love with them. I was also looking at AE's Malvern, so it's really a toss up right now

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Keep in mind that the J Crew chukka is a lined shoe while the standard Alden suede chukka is unlined.

The lining, the double leather sole and the "roughed out" suede of the J Crew version make it a very different shoe than the standard chukka. I saw a guy wearing it with a grey suit at one of the J Crew stores and pulling it off well though.

12. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

13. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I am interested in a pair of whiskey shell longwings. However, all the locations I've tried (Alden on Madison NY, The Shoe Mart, Alden of Carmel) do not carry them in 6.5. I assume I need to have these ordered. Any of you gents recommend a specific retailer or are they pretty much the same?

Thanks!

14. irbe

irbe Senior member

Can anybody comment on the fit of this first hand? I am a 7.5 TRU-BALANCE in INDY. What size should I get for the LWB? Thanks

15. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

If you are a comfortable 7.5 in trubalance, get the same in the longwing. However, if you are a snug 7.5, you're better off trying it on in person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.