• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalanigee

Reaction score
I would totally be uncool with that. Did he seriously pierce/sew through the insole? Just because they are seconds doesn't mean that shoe deserves that type of treatment. Just my 2 cents.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah i dont understand ... how is that the repair? do you have the pics prior to this supposed "repair"

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, i couldn't really believe it when i saw it. i feel like the first time i step in a puddle the water will go straight through the sole and into the foot bed.

they were sold as seconds under the pretense they had a very minor cosmetic flaw. the flaw was barely noticeable, but this is something else.
the fact the welt came undone after a week and this as a repair makes me feel like these never should have been sold in the first place, as seconds or otherwise.

i dont have pics of them prior but can tell you they looked like a normal pair of alden 405s, except for the fact the welt was separating from the upper on the instep of the right boot.

Originally Posted by kalanigee
I would totally be uncool with that. Did he seriously pierce/sew through the insole? Just because they are seconds doesn't mean that shoe deserves that type of treatment. Just my 2 cents.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That repair looks okay to me. Here's what a cut up shoe looks like for reference:

6fg4foi.jpg

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the photo, Robin.
but does that stitch go from the insole though the footbed to the outsole, as it does on my repair
i thought a welt stitch was always on the outside of the shoe as opposed to through the footbed...

my big concern with this repair is water getting inside.
a bigger picture concern is what will happen down the road when i need to have them resoled.

this just seems like a temporary fix

bakatora

Reaction score
lol.. probably needed a second post to send a pm

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Robin isn't that blake rapid??

Welt shouldn't look like that...

I probably would talk to him about that. Also, seconds are just that. You win some you lose some.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is brooks brothers no longer selling alden shoes? theres a 40% off all leather accessories for today (wednesday)

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
man. that repair job looks bad. I'd have them remove that stitch and have it fixed in a reputable shop or sent back to Alden myself.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There isn't much they can do repair wise

It's straight through the liner

wbc2

Reaction score
That's not how a goodyear welted shoe ought to be repaired. As mentioned, the repair makes your shoes less water resistant than they were originally designed. Also, the goodyear welting allows a shoe to be resoled without having to pierce holes onto the footbed side of the insole. wbc2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads