***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spats

Spats Senior member

I wear a 10.5C barrie shoe but have one 10.5d that fits ok as well. Both barrie lasted chukkas I have are 10.5c and when I tried on 10.5d cordo chukkas, I was swimming in them. Chukkas have so little laced area to hold them on your foot, it helps if they fit. YMMV

2. Dinosarti

Dinosarti Senior member

3. jslade

jslade Senior member

Those are gorgeous, Dinosarti!

4. jslade

jslade Senior member

I just won an auction for a pair of Alden cordovan captoes for $385.00 shipped, worn just twice, on the Aberdeen last.

Condition looks great (to my untrained eye, of course). Creasing looks normal to me for a couple of wears. Not the most exciting Alden's, obviously, but I needed a pair of nice black dress shoes. My first pair of cordovan shoes, too! Can't wait to get them. Thanks for all the help, guys. :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  5. applky

applky Senior member

^ I wore those very shoes today -- except mine are Color 8.

An excellent pair of shoes, and a very nice eBay find. As a first-time shell user, resist the urge to over-polish. It's a common mistake -- one that I made for my first pair of shells.

6. jslade

jslade Senior member

My preference would definitely have been for Color #8, but I'd like to start off my shell collection with something a little more conservative. I'll assemble an entire collection once I graduate from college and actually have an income, though. :eek:

Thanks for an advice! Which reminds me -- I need to pick up a horsehair brush as well. And another pair of shoe trees.

7. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

Thanks. The Barrie chukkas I have in 10D are #8 shell. I am considering another pair in whiskey shell, but they are 10C.

8. Dinosarti

Dinosarti Senior member

I was really lucky and scored them from a truly classy SF'er who could not use them after purchasing from Lefott. Such a cool guy!

Cheers!

9. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

They're great man. Wear them in good health.

10. Chien

Chien Well-Known Member

so what did u do after realizing the color is different? i believe im facing the same issue u faced.
    Just that this is my first pair of shell boots, in #8, and got no idea what to do.

11. number9dream

number9dream Senior member

I wear 11C in the Barrie, and used to wear 11D. The C widths are definitely narrower through the ball and toe, but they fit me like a glove. I used to have to lace my 11Ds so tightly that the uppers would touch in the middle at the laces. Not so with C width for me. Rather than sell all my D width shoes, i plan to have them relasted to a C width as they need resoling.

12. number9dream

There has been a lot of praise heaped upon the Aberdeen last over the last several pages, but I would caution anyone considering an Aberdeen purchase to try them on before buying. The last has a narrow toe box but wide heel and I find them unwearable --- either my toes are bunched together or my heal sloshes around. Also, I have narrow feet and find that for as sleek as the Aberdeen last appears, it actually fits quite wide in the midfoot and heel, so much so that 11's were too tight in the forefoot but still loose in the midfoot and 11.5's were too loose all around. (For reference, I wear a Barrie 11C or AE 5 last 11.5C).

Like many other people, I have a similar problem with the RL Darlton wingtips.

Just a warning before plunking down $700 for some gorgeous Ravello NSTs!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  13. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

I second this. I have not been able to find my "happy size" in the Aberdeen last. 10.5D is too tight around the instep. 10E is almost right, but my fourth toe touches the front of the toe box. 10.5E is a bit loose all around but probably the best I can do. 10D on the Barrie last feels perfect, however.

Everyone's foot is different, however. So YMMV, as always. Just remember that internet sizing advice is worth exactly as much as you paid for it.

14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Was it confirmed that Alden will still do this? I remember someone posting a while back that they used to change the width upon request during a resole, but I can't remember if anyone had done it recently with success.

15. number9dream

Yes. I sent my captoe boots in for recraft in June and got them back 2 weeks ago relasted to a C width from the original D width.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.