• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPFNY5

Reaction score
Perfect Fall day in NY for these. Swapped out the laces for these two-tone Epaulet ones.

brandall10

Reaction score

I would say 7 on the Indys. I wear a half-size smaller on my Indys than I do my Allen-Edmonds #5, and I still find the Indys to be slightly looser of the two.

You called it. Amazing fit out of the box. Can't believe how comfy the uppers are.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What boots are those? Are they tan suede?

Those appear to be the Alden x J. Crew Suede plain toe boot that they sell on their site.

They are snuff suede and not tan suede.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those appear to be the Alden x J. Crew Suede plain toe boot that they sell on their site.
They are snuff suede and not tan suede.

True, but in the pic above they look tan to me.

Ahab? What say you?

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are seconds from the Shoemart. Advertised as Snuff suede, plantation crepe soles...but we all know how that can go. You can see the seconds mark in this picture. I guess on the crepe soles they cannot put them on the soles.

They usually look pretty light in all conditions.

Last edited:

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just opened my latest Alden and love them. I was bale to get my hands on a Special Edition Obscura cap toes from Tassels in Hong Kong. They are on the Hampton Last and have my favorite sole, the single oiled flex sole. I have never purchased shoes that came with not only a box and bags, but a leather covered shoe horn and a custom special edition tote. The service was amazing just like Toms has always been. I ordered Monday and they came today.

REguy

Reaction score
+1

Mind me asking how much all in? Also curious how you find the fit...TTS or did you size down like the Barrie?

Last edited:

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1
Mind me asking how much all in? Also curious how you find the fit...TTS or did you size down like the Barrie?

The fit true to size and for me is the best Alden last I have tried yet. It has a nice toe shape, just a little more rounded than the Aberdeen I have and not as round as the Barrie. It is a great in between last for toe shape. The price with shipping was about 175.00 premium over what you would find for a similar shoe in the US. You can contact Tassels in HK if you are interested. I like them because the stock smaller E sizes like I need.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the winter months, do you fellows wear certain Aldens with rubber soles for better traction? All of my Aldens have leather soles, and admittedly, I'm not sure if I have the guts to wear them in the heavy rain.

I'm thinking about getting a couple of pairs with rubber based soles to hold down the winter.

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^During winter, I wear Alden Indys, on days that the weather allows, I wear Alden ranger mocs. On deep snow days, I have a pair of vintage LL Bean insulated waxed duck boots.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the winter months, do you fellows wear certain Aldens with rubber soles for better traction? All of my Aldens have leather soles, and admittedly, I'm not sure if I have the guts to wear them in the heavy rain.
I'm thinking about getting a couple of pairs with rubber based soles to hold down the winter.

I am lucky living in the South, i can wear my oiled leather soles all year round. If I was in a place with snow and slush, I would get something with a commando sole.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think something like a plain toe in #8 (or even cigar) with a commando sole would work best as it can be worn during the say with a suit and at night. Someone has to carry this model... Leffot had a ravello with a commando sole a few months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads