• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same thing happens with my suede boots. I've considered sewing the tongue to the side, at least a portion of the way up, but haven't done it. I suspect it isn't as much of a problem w/o speed lacing. Normal lacing seems to achieve a tighter fit on the leg.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For best break-in I change up the lacing on my boots every time I clean/condition/polish them.

Usually I do some kind of criss-cross lacing but the key is working the leather around the eyelets in the other direction. If a section between eyelets bows away from my ankle, I'll lace them so it's pushed back in. Maybe if they were laced X X X ("barker black" style) I'll lace them I X X X. Mainly it's some kind of criss-cross back and forth. Etc. etc. This only seems important in the first few months when they are breaking in.

Also condition the hell out of the tongue & around the eyelets if the shoes are calf.

The point is the leather does not settle into any one pattern & develop deep creases that cause the boot & tongue to get into bad fitting habits.

So I'd try changing the lacing if your tongue always slides to one side. Maybe you can get it to slide to the other side. Bottom line is for sure the boot was not designed for the tongue to flop to the side.

Another idea would be adding a tongue cushion -- solid brown wool ones from Hapad Inc are best -- if your boots are laced totally closed & there's still enough looseness for the tongue to slide as you walk. One pair of my boots has these cushions under the speed laces. It's the only way to lace the ankle tight enough. Probably the tongue would move without them.

Back to the Thomas heel question -- only some of the Indys have them? I thought maybe they were a feature that often went with the trubalance last.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MS007
4107354334_6de93210db.jpg

Question on these: are they good winter boots? They're suede but they were also "weather-proofed," supposedly.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by false
Also, I googled around but should I avoid wearing cordovan in the rain? I found some threads on askandy and people were just going back and forth over whether or not cordovan holds up well in the wet. I don't want to buy a 700 pair of shoes (likely on a commando sole) and then have to check weather reports before venturing out in them. Overall are cordovan boots tougher for city living or should I stick to something more utilitarian like the Indy? Right now I'm waffeling between Trickers Stow, 405's, and at the high end, #8 NST.

My understanding (and my personal experience) is that the lighter colors (whiskey, ravello, and cigar) are more likely to get water spots if they get wet. It does not damage the hide, but it can take a while to go away. I find a bit of Creme Nubiana (sold at Franco's and recommended by Ron Rider) takes the spots out of my whiskey longwings when they get wet. #8 is much less susceptible to water spotting than my whiskey and ravello (I have no cigar yet), I have several #8 shoes that I generally grab if it is raining and they have no water spotting at all.

arrow

Reaction score
My contribution to this great thread! Hi-Res pics from Winn Perry... ENJOY

Winn Perry x Alden Round 3 (Model 40712H)

4169045331_fff6a86b34_o.jpg

4169045243_14daa632df_o.jpg

4169808080_a2733e521a_o.jpg

4169045457_583402c305_o.jpg

4169808404_25d9a9bd74_o.jpg

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DrZRM
My understanding (and my personal experience) is that the lighter colors (whiskey, ravello, and cigar) are more likely to get water spots if they get wet. It does not damage the hide, but it can take a while to go away. I find a bit of Creme Nubiana (sold at Franco's and recommended by Ron Rider) takes the spots out of my whiskey longwings when they get wet. #8 is much less susceptible to water spotting than my whiskey and ravello (I have no cigar yet), I have several #8 shoes that I generally grab if it is raining and they have no water spotting at all.

Thanks for the advice. Cigar is a light color?

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lighter tham no.8 but darker than whiskey and ravello

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
cigar is king

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Question on these: are they good winter boots? They're suede but they were also "weather-proofed," supposedly.
Depends on how harsh your winters are. With a crepe sole and what looks like heavily oiled suede, they should survive rain and maybe a teensy bit of snow so long as they're in rotation and allowed a day or so to recover between exposures. Basically, NO if you plan on trekking through blizzard conditions daily, YES if you live in a more temperate climate where you just have to worry about a spot of rain All based on just how they look though, I have no experience with that leather

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
is the crepe sole ok in horrendous snow? i've seen conflicting reports...

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zazaza
random question, but does anyone have advice for getting the tongue of an indy boot to stop from sliding to the side after a couple hours of wear?
these are the only boots i own that do this. no idea why they do, but its annoying.

Originally Posted by Get Smart
^^ yea me too, and the only boot that does this as well, probably because the cordovan tongue is so thick it can't develop a "stay put" crease and mold in place the way my other boots do. I think it's something you just have to live with unless someone else has a fix.

Originally Posted by airportlobby
Same thing happens with my suede boots. I've considered sewing the tongue to the side, at least a portion of the way up, but haven't done it. I suspect it isn't as much of a problem w/o speed lacing. Normal lacing seems to achieve a tighter fit on the leg.

There's a recent thread in MC about this issue.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?p=2705488

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Depends on how harsh your winters are. With a crepe sole and what looks like heavily oiled suede, they should survive rain and maybe a teensy bit of snow so long as they're in rotation and allowed a day or so to recover between exposures.

Basically, NO if you plan on trekking through blizzard conditions daily, YES if you live in a more temperate climate where you just have to worry about a spot of rain

All based on just how they look though, I have no experience with that leather

Cool, I won't be trekking through knee-deep (or even shin-deep) snow--just a ton of rain. These should work.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd posted before about a pair of indy seconds i bought from shoemart in which the upper started to separate from the welt on one of the boots. I'd contacted Ed at shoemart about this and was told to send them back. he's since responded saying he fixed them and that i'd be completely satisfied.

please take a look at these photos of the repair that was made.
curious to hear what people think and if they'd be ok with this

indy3.jpg

indy2.jpg

indy1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads