1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

You seriously think it's as simple as that?

2. wj4

wj4 Senior member

+1. The goal is stay viable in the long run..not short.

I'm sure Alden knows they have the market by the balls when people are waiting over a year for shells.

3. 1wb

1wb Senior member

FWIW, I note that references to the restoration program have been removed from both the Alden and Alden SF sites.

4. robin

robin Senior member

^ FWIW, the info has been off the site for some time and I just recently received recrafting kits after inquiring if the program was still being offered.

5. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

Alden doesn't want to recraft your shoes, they want to sell you new ones. they make much more money selling new shoes.

that said, not sure I completely buy the story. my understanding is that a huge part of the backup is with raw materials (ie shell). the lead time for custom makeups is much, much shorter with calf/suede than it is for shell, it's not like every shoe is 18 months behind. just rare shell colors

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I hope the recraft thing isn't true (I was considering sending in my #8 longwings). That said, with some of the recraft botches I have read on this thread (i.e. redying shells when customers didn't want them redyed, changing shell colors from whiskey to color 4, etc), I would be hesitant to send shoes in anyway

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

double post

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  8. newbiealden

newbiealden Senior member

I hope all this discussion about the recrafting ends up being false. i was just starting to form an alden collection based heavily on the fact that i wanted to be able to have the same shoes for the rest of my life and maybe just maybe be able to pass on my favorites to my kids. This is a terrible change in strategy and relationship building with your customer base. I knew when i saw J CREW carrying these shoes - things would start to change. I hope I am wrong.

9. ninja07

ninja07 Senior member

advan031 - I didn't do anything - I just wore them haha. Now that's really something to look forward to!

trunks206 - happy to take them off your hands, and such a great transaction too.

10. newbiealden

newbiealden Senior member

... by the way ... i'm in the Boston area. Where do you guys bring your Alden's to be resoled?

11. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

there are numerous cobblers who will do resoles for you.if you are interested in longevity, send them off to B. Nelson for a resole onto Dainite, that will last years and years longer than a leather sole.

or take your leather soles, and have any local cobbler put a vibram layer on them. that will increase the life by multiples of years as well, if you keep doing this.

the alden recraft program was always a very expensive for what it was

12. REguy

REguy Senior member

I've been frustrated with Felix in Harvard Square (both prices and general demeanor), but the guy down the street at Mt. Auburn/Mass Ave. has done excellent work for me. I've read that Waban Shoe Repair does great work.

1 person likes this.
  13. mtc2000

mtc2000 Senior member

That's plenty evident enough.

The demise of the restoration program is going to have a negative impact on the perceived value of the shoes. Good luck in finding new customers.

Also, imagine the impact on the second hand market.

Tom, Steven, Mark, Adam et al, please raise our concern with the factory.

14. slide13

slide13 Senior member

I don't believe recrafting is simply resoling. Yes, any cobbler can do a resole. Recrafting involves rebuilding the shoe around the original last, something nobody but Alden can do since they wouldn't have the lasts available.

I agree, an end to recrafting services would be very bad news and would definitely decrease the value of Alden in my mind. Not sure I believe it though...I'll wait until I hear more info on this.

15. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Recrafting info is still up at Alden of Carmel.

Maybe they're just eliminating all reference to it. I agree that it would be a complete deal breaker for many old and valued clients of the company, while also turning off appeal to newcomers as many have already expressed here. My thoughts now are that perhaps they're not eliminating the program completely, but just any promotion of it - cutting it back to be exclusive only to those "in the know." It seems harsh to tell a guy that's been wearing your shoes for 30 years, "Oh, I know we took care of you before, and promised we always would, but we won't recraft these shoes for you anymore."

16. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

17. Matto ELITE

Matto ELITE Senior member

Just placed my order with Alden San Francisco for LWB Cigar in 9.5D, I hope like hell they fit. Shoe trees, wax paste, ans 8" shoe horn on the way as well. [​IMG]

18. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

What color is the edge....... black or antique

19. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

I think Alden SF uses a medium antique edge and welt (at least that's what mine have)
    it looks quite dark when compared to ones like we've seen in the last couple of pages

20. cloudshift

cloudshift Senior member

I thought the Alden SF Cigar LWB was the same as The Shoe Mart Cigar LWB.

[​IMG]

Love this shoe, personally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.