***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grolsch

Grolsch Active Member

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. Well I don't have any #8 :embar: This will be my very first pair! Having used to wearing only black and multiple shades of brown mostly, I'm finding it hard to ignore the "burgundy" shade of a new pair of #8s.

Experienced owners have varied openions on how long it might take to develop a decent patina of a well worn look. Some suggests sunlight, Mc method or good old walking.

I'm confused! Do I want the burgundy color? No. Do I like the aged look? Yes. Guess I should just keep an eye on the classifieds and hope a pair turns up soon enough in 9.5

2. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

[​IMG]

yeah these are mine. they are black, not #8

3. Grolsch

Grolsch Active Member

^ I conveniently took your pic from a random search for black shell cordovan. Hope you don't mind! Beautiful boots. And yes, I meant to post it as black itself.

I did try to get those SF Boots few months back. But the reply I got from Bryson of Leathersoul for any possible pre-order was:

So I envy you. Now on to alternatives...

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

4. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Don't fear the #8....I used to think the same thing when I used to wear mostly black and dark brown shoes, but I think you will find that burgundy will quickly become one of your most versatile pairs of shoes.

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

It's the natural waxes coming out of the shell. I have a pair that "fogs up" after about a week.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

It's called "bloom". Here's an extreme case:

[​IMG]

BTW, the AlanC x Leather Soul x Alden contest boot has landed at my house. I'll try to get some pics up soon. They're gorgeous!

7. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

So why does #8 seem to bloom more than the other colors?

8. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

That's a good question. I discussed blooming with an Alden rep at LeatherSoul, and he said the cordovan is impregnated with so much oil/wax that it seeps out on warm days, and hardens into a whitish film when it cools off. It's like leaving a chocolate bar in a warm room, which will separate into cocoa butter and solids and take on a streaky white appearance. Since he explained this, I've noticed that it's most noticeable when it cools down after a day or two of very warm weather. The Alden rep said he used a hairdryer (from several feet away) to warm the shoe back up before brushing it.

9. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

Here's my AF53's after about a year or year and a half of mild use. I've left them exposed to direct sunlight for some hours and they are stored in indirect light most of the time

I truly believe that the color change is from exposure to UV light which fades the red dye. Red usually fades more than other pigments. Black shell doesn't really fade FYI

Walking and polishing won't affect the color very much. It's the light.

[​IMG]

10. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

Let the shoe cool down completely before brushing! If you brush it warm, it will get swirly streaks. Nothing permanent, but it looks bad

11. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Congrats to Leather Soul! I saw the new Big Black Book from Esquire and LS is mentioned as one of the best shops in the nation.

12. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

+1 on your comment. I have the same LWB and haven't worn them in months. Though they are nice, and different because they're on the Grant...

13. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Senior member

For me, black has gotten the most bloom, with #8 a close second. #4 has gotten the least.

14. LukeM

LukeM Senior member

They kind of look like they are made from the side of a UPS truck. Fantastic shoes though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.